PDA

View Full Version : 2006 GM HD Truck Info

cdog
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
New 2006 Duramax 6600 Turbodiesel
2006 Duramax 6600 Turbodiesel to Deliver Class-leading Torque in a More Powerful and Refined Package
8/1/2005
media.gm.com
PONTIAC , MICH. – Later this year, GM Powertrain will introduce a new 6.6L Duramax 6600 turbodiesel V-8 (RPO LBZ) for the 2006 model year Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD with class-leading horsepower – 360 (268 kw) at 3200 rpm and class-leading torque, at 650 lb.-ft. (881 Nm) at 1600 rpm. In addition to the power increase in the Silverado and Sierra, all 2006 Duramax engines have been significantly revised to deliver lower emissions and significantly improved quietness and smoothness in every application.
The 2006 Silverado HD and Sierra HD with the Allison 6-speed automatic transmission will be equipped with a significantly revised 310 horsepower Duramax 6600 (LLY) through the third quarter of 2005. It will be replaced in these applications in the fourth quarter of 2005, by the higher output, 360-horsepower Duramax (LBZ).
“The introduction of the Duramax diesel in 2001 represented a significant evolution in North American diesel pick-up truck market and propelled GM’s heavy duty diesel pick-up truck market share to over 25 percentage points,” said Charles Freese, GM Powertrain executive director, diesel engineering. “The introduction of the improved, 2006 Duramax turbo diesel once again sets a new benchmark to which all others will be measured.”
The Duramax 6600’s horsepower and torque increase and emissions reduction are enabled by a strengthened iron cylinder block and a lower compression ratio. The lower compression reduces stress on the engine by reducing the peak cylinder firing pressure. This, in turn, allows more fuel to be burned – more fuel means more power – while the lower compression helps reduce NOx emissions. Lower compression also helps reduce noise and vibration, making the all variants of the 6600 a quieter and smoother engine.
A revised variable-geometry turbocharger also enhances the driving experience of the Duramax 6600. Aerodynamic changes to the turbo’s vanes help tailor controlled application of turbo power for seamless and immediate response at full throttle. The turbo, which spins at up to 120,000 rpm, is high-speed-balanced, reducing vibration and resonance – and contributing to the engine’s overall smoothness and refinement. The revised turbo also helps reduce emissions, while maximum boost remains at 20 psi.
Another new feature of the Duramax 6600Â’s turbo system is the capability of the variable-geometry turbocharger to provide exhaust braking. This function is available on some medium-duty truck models and can replace add-on exhaust brake hardware. With the new system, braking is controlled by a signal from the engine controller and can be activated by the driver.
The Duramax 6600 also has a new intake air heater to reduce smoke and emissions during cold or light-load driving. The system features a 1000-watt grid heater located in the air intake duct, which is triggered automatically by the engine controller. It heats up the incoming air to speed warm-up of the engine.
In addition to 50 more horsepower and 45 more lb-ft of torque in the Silverado and Sierra, changes to the 2006 Duramax 6600 build on a host of improvements introduced for ’05 – improvements that bolstered an already strong foundation. The Duramax 6600 features a rigid cast iron cylinder block with induction-hardened cylinder bores; four-bolt, cross-drilled main bearing caps; forged steel, nitride-hardened crankshaft; aluminum pistons with jet-spray oil cooling; aluminum cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder; integrated oil cooler and a charge-cooled turbocharging system. Features, such as easy-access fuel filter and timing gears, reduce maintenance time and effort.
A new, 32-bit E35 engine controller monitors and adjusts the engineÂ’s operation. Designed exclusively for the Duramax diesel engine, the controller helps the injectors precisely meter fuel to the cylinders and can compensate for the variability of the injectors and fuel flow. This sophisticated, more powerful controller also can support up to five injections per cylinder and eliminates the need for an engine-mounted drive unit to fire the fuel injectors.
The new Duramax 6600 in the Silverado and Sierra heavy-duty pick-ups will be available exclusively with the new Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission, featuring class-first features, like tap-shift range selection mode.
In addition to the Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD, the Duramax 6600 (LLY) is also available at varying power outputs in the Hummer H1 Alpha, Chevy Kodiak and GMC Topkick. For 2006, the Duramax is available for the first time in GMÂ’s full-size vans, Chevy Express and GMC Savana, providing power and capabilities matched with quietness and smoothness not found in competitorsÂ’ diesel-equipped vans.
It's gonna be a bad ass truck. I just canceled my order to wait for my LBZ's.

HighRoller
08-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Damn, my prediction has come true. When the Duramax came out at 520 ft/lbs I predicted the diesel HP wars would level out at 700 ft/lbs because of the direct injection and intercooler. Looks like we're coming close. I'm pretty sure the 6.0 Powerstroke already has a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) because my Dad's rig makes boost from idle. I'm wondering if this Duramax will be an EGR engine since they are claiming lower emissions. Big trucks have shifted to the VGT since the emmisions mandate made the EGR engine the norm. But maybe they have substituted lower compression for higher boost and gotten a few more HP at the same dynamic compression ratio.

HighRoller
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Wait a sec... was that a typo or did it say the Allison 6 SPEED tranny? I thought the 1000 was a 5 speed?

cdog
08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep... 6 Speed. Click the link.
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=16956

HighRoller
08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Sweet. Technology rules.

TOBTEK
08-03-2005, 12:31 AM
great, now im gonna have to buy another new truck ;)

HammerDown
08-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Sounds good but Cheby's about over due for a face lift...same looking truck fo how long now?

Just Tool'n
08-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Changes, Changes & More Changes. Making a Bad Ass engine even better!

RiverOtter
08-03-2005, 04:36 AM
No mention of the Burb :burningm:

mmered8299
08-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Now lets hope they make too many of them and have to sell them with employee discounts to get rid of them by the end of the year.

Daytona100
08-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Wonder how long the injecters are gonna last???? Hope GM made some serious improvements to the injecters seems to be a big problem area. The Allison trans is bulletproof dont see any problems with it. Now if GM would just make a decent car again. :squiggle:

BoatPI
08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
I read some stuff the other day on the net indicating the new Sub is a 2007 model and NO mention of the diesel. They did mention the H1 6600.

INSman
08-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Didn't we hear something before about the 2007 models having a larger cabin and TWIN turbos ??

Just Tool'n
08-03-2005, 07:11 AM
I think the Ford is slated to have twin turbos iin 2007.