PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question

woodster
04-23-2003, 08:53 PM
On a standard 4 barrel holley carb , when u hit the throttle all the way should all 4 barrels open up? I was messin with my carb today and i looked down it as i was opening- closing the throttle linkage and only 2 were working. The other 2 didnt move. The carb has elec choke and the linkage is hooked up for the secondaries. Do they open up with the motor running?I dont really know much about carbs so any help would be appreciated. I had it shut off when i was checking them.. Thanks

Hotcrusader76
04-24-2003, 03:32 AM
If the carburetor is a vacuum secondary then they will NOT open unless engine vacuum is present. You can move manually though in order to check for proper movement.
Now if the carb is a mechanical secondary, make sure there is a link between the primary and secondary throttleshafts. Some mechanical secondary carburetors have a slip link, which allows the secondaries to open after 'X' amount of degreess of primary opening.(most likely you have a slip style link, shaped like a "V")
Does that help ya?

woodster
04-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply.. The secondary is hooked up with a slip linkage. When i move them manually only the primarys open. Any ideas?

Hotcrusader76
04-24-2003, 03:20 PM
woodster:
Thanks for the reply.. The secondary is hooked up with a slip linkage. When i move them manually only the primarys open. Any ideas? So when your throttle is fully open (WOT) you only have the primaries opening? The secondaries don't open at all?
If that's the case then you have a vacuum secondary otherwise your slip link isn't even connected....No?
Is the carburetor a vacuum secondary or mechanical secondary.
Does your carburetor look similar to this one with the vacuum canister on the side?
http://www.tpcracing.com/images/Orange3310_300.jpg

woodster
04-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Yep thats it.. Thanks for your help . Would bolting on a diff Carb give me much performance diff or just a waiste.. Try to give me an unbiased opinion :D

Hotcrusader76
04-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Was your boat at Wes's place about a month ago for some stereo work? If so then you're just fine with what ya have. I took a glance at your set-up when I was over there for some welding work.
Sure a double pumper would give you some more upper end but the dollar per horsepower ratio doesn't really add up.
Personally, I would keep that set-up a little while longer.

woodster
04-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Yep that was my boat.. Thanks for your help