PDA

View Full Version : Shaq & Miami Heat

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 06:06 AM
WTF, they are offering him 5 years @ 120 million? 24 Million a year, you gotta focken be kidding me. :hammerhea
Has all sports gone mad on these contract offers? Just to go to these sporting events you have to be making 7 figures!
I think we need to bring these players back down to reality. Like it's so tuff playing a profesional sport you are gifted at. Top players for any sport should not be making more then 5-8million a year. Yes I understand if they get hurt the carrer may be done. If that is the case, they should stay in school get a degree, work like the rest of us, or invest your $, instead of blowing it on bling bling.
Ok I am done with my rant.
Lets get back to the three B's most of us like. :cool:

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Don't be hatin'. :D
LOL, Did I forget to say I am a Kobe fan. :p

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 06:21 AM
I know you are. This is exactly why the Lakers let Shaq go, not because Kobe ran him off.
Sounds like a smart move from the Lakers, but what are the heat thinking?
They just gave away their whole team for 5 years. :confused:
You can not expect to build around Shaq for that long of a term. I give him 1 more decent year.

Caribbean Jet
08-03-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm not hating, but I agree with Scuba. These guys get paid way too much. 24 million dollars a year. Between the athletes and the actors they are going to price sporting events and other activities way out of the ballpark for most families.

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Believe it or not, ticket sales make up a very small part of salary provisions. The two biggest sources of revenue are US TV revenue and foreign TV revenue. The NBA is a very international game, foreign TV revenue is about 20% of the US TV revenue and rising quickly.
The average NBA arena holds less than 20,000 fans. 20,000 fans at 41 home games per season doesn't pay $100M in salary.
This is still BS!! I know I am not making enough money to cover the increase in cable prices, game tickets, consessions, parking, & gear. This whole thing is a joke. :frown:

dale459us
08-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Scuba....you are so incredibly correct these guys are not worth that kind of money, it's sad how much they make for so little effort on their parts. Talent is a great thing however I beleive that Shaq will once again come up with a lame excuse why he can't play for 4 weeks, maybe a hang nail? If Shaq rode a bull like the PBR he would be finished in less than 3 seconds. These men are worth so much more than the likes of Shaq.
my .02 worth :cool:

dale459us
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
What's next? Shaq isn't worth $24M/year because he can't snow ski like Picabo Street? :rolleyes:
Where did Shaq take Miami too last year with his huge salary? I'm all for capitalism but only if you’re worth the money...Shaq is very near the end of his career. He is always injured

slink
08-03-2005, 07:10 AM
24 mill a year and he can't even make a "free" throw......kinda funny :rolleyes: My 02. is that all major league contracts should be performanced based, not performance incentives like it is know.

Caribbean Jet
08-03-2005, 07:13 AM
24 mill a year and he can't even make a "free" throw......kinda funny :rolleyes: My 02. is that all major league contracts should be performanced based, not performance incentives like it is know.
I totally agree with you, they should be performance based for all athletes. It would make the game a lot better.

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 07:23 AM
SWB, what is your take on coaches getting millions of coin as well?
I can not see how the NJ Nets can run Byron Scott out of town just after taking the team to back to back finals.
Then the Pistons do the same to Larry Brown. WTF is going on here.

Coach
08-03-2005, 07:30 AM
SWB, what is your take on coaches getting millions of coin as well?
I can not see how the NJ Nets can run Byron Scott out of town just after taking the team to back to back finals.
Then the Pistons do the same to Larry Brown. WTF is going on here.
Coaching at all levels is becoming tougher. The Pro coaches is has become a "what have you done for me lately deal". As a pro coach your players make more than you by a long shot, so why as a player do I have to listen to him. The owners will get rid of a coach before a player. I think being an NBA coach might be the toughest thing anyone could do.

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Coaching at all levels is becoming tougher. The Pro coaches is has become a "what have you done for me lately deal". As a pro coach your players make more than you by a long shot, so why as a player do I have to listen to him. The owners will get rid of a coach before a player. I think being an NBA coach might be the toughest thing anyone could do.
The only coach that has really survived is "Pop" from the Spurs, no wonder why they are almost always there.

All IN
08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Worst trade in Lakers history. Shaq is worth every penny. The Lakers wouldn't had 3 championship in row would out him. If Miami had any sort of coach they would have been in the finals last year. The NBA is making money and they just started tapping the overseas market.
If an actor/actress could make 20 million puls for 1 movie, Let athletes get what they could.

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Worst trade in Lakers history. Shaq is worth every penny. The Lakers wouldn't had 3 championship in row would out him. If Miami had any sort of coach they would have been in the finals last year. The NBA is making money and they just started tapping the overseas market.
If an actor/actress could make 20 million puls for 1 movie, Let athletes get what they could.
Lets just say the whole entertainment industry is a joke also.

a catered life
08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Believe it or not, ticket sales make up a very small part of salary provisions. The two biggest sources of revenue are US TV revenue and foreign TV revenue. The NBA is a very international game, foreign TV revenue is about 20% of the US TV revenue and rising quickly.
The average NBA arena holds less than 20,000 fans. 20,000 fans at 41 home games per season doesn't pay $100M in salary.
i agree with you shock and steve but understand this if the salaries keep going up then the seat prices will also..doesn't matter how much they make on tv rights or any crap like that 3 years ago i could afford a few laker games and maybe luck up and get a few playoff tickets but now forget it.....the dam seat price went up and the dam beer price went up not to mention the dam nuts went up.......... :2purples: this crap is out of control 24 million maxium salary for any sports person should be2 illion tops this includs boxing, basketball, hockey and baseball

dmontzsta
08-03-2005, 08:15 AM
The Heat organization is pretty stupid. He is not going to last 5 years, maybe 3 MAX that is alot of money for a declining player.

a catered life
08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
The Heat organization is pretty stupid. He is not going to last 5 years, maybe 3 MAX that is alot of money for a declining player.
they dont want him to go somewhere else.dont want to be stupid like lakers :yuk:

dmontzsta
08-03-2005, 08:20 AM
they dont want him to go somewhere else.dont want to be stupid like lakers :yuk:
You mean smart? The Lakers did not want to give some old man a but load of money, he is not going to be around long.

a catered life
08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
You mean smart? The Lakers did not want to give some old man a but load of money, he is not going to be around long.
the only thing wrong with that was if they would sign him we would have had him for at least 2-3 years

dmontzsta
08-03-2005, 08:33 AM
the only thing wrong with that was if they would sign him we would have had him for at least 2-3 years
But would not have much money to do anything else.

a catered life
08-03-2005, 08:44 AM
But would not have much money to do anything else.
maybe they had some options then.now look at us busted and may not be able to do much this year :cry:

riverroyal
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
change my name to peekaboo for a few bucks

a catered life
08-03-2005, 08:48 AM
The Lakers could not afford to keep both Kobe and Shaq. I know I've discussed this before, but the Lakers were not far enough under the cap to pay them both $20M a year.
Nobody expects Shaq to be productive for 5 years. This is a common ploy to get him the $30-40M a year he wanted. James Worthy signed a 10 year deal with the Lakers when he was like 35. After he retired, he was still their highest paid player for like 5 years.
point well taken :rolleyes:

AirtimeLavey
08-03-2005, 09:27 AM
WTF, they are offering him 5 years @ 120 million? 24 Million a year, you gotta focken be kidding me. :hammerhea
Has all sports gone mad on these contract offers? Just to go to these sporting events you have to be making 7 figures!
I think we need to bring these players back down to reality. Like it's so tuff playing a profesional sport you are gifted at. Top players for any sport should not be making more then 5-8million a year. Yes I understand if they get hurt the carrer may be done. If that is the case, they should stay in school get a degree, work like the rest of us, or invest your $, instead of blowing it on bling bling.
Ok I am done with my rant.
Lets get back to the three B's most of us like. :cool:
Lol...what a joke. I thought Riles was smarter than that. That's real wishful thinking. Some sort of performance incentive should be included in these contracts. NBA's among the worst w/their "guaranteed" contracts. Shaq's fading quickly, and only has another year or two at most of any productivity at the level their gonna pay him. Heat did well this year because of Wade, not Shaq. Shaq was only a small part of it. They were lost w/o Wade.

SCUBA STEVE
08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Ok I just heard he is only getting $100M for 5 years. So I wanted to correct my self. I wonder if he can feed is family for 20Mil a year lol :hammerhea
His agent must be using the Jedi mind trick on the Heat. lol I guess it didnt work on Jerry Buss. lol :)
I hope Miami never gets a championship, just so we can all say what a bust he was. I admit he was the sh*t for a short time, but that time is long gone.
Like some one said earlier, $20mil and you cant even make a free throw. Every NBA player should shoot 70 percent on the line.
SWB, what is KG's shooting percentage? In my eyes he is the best player in the NBA! Never in trouble, plays hard every game, he just needs Phil or Larry to get him to the next level. (Maybe Kobe too) lol :hammerhea

totenhosen
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Lol...what a joke. I thought Riles was smarter than that. That's real wishful thinking. Some sort of performance incentive should be included in these contracts. NBA's among the worst w/their "guaranteed" contracts. Shaq's fading quickly, and only has another year or two at most of any productivity at the level their gonna pay him. Heat did well this year because of Wade, not Shaq. Shaq was only a small part of it. They were lost w/o Wade.
I believe there are performance incentives in the contract as well.

totenhosen
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I hope Miami never gets a championship, just so we can all say what a bust he was. I admit he was the sh*t for a short time, but that time is long gone.
Shaq is still bar none still the most dominant player in the game. Having said that I would have done the same thing the Lakers did. Shaq had no more drive the last few years he was with the Lakers. He was eating a few too many donuts.