PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Issues

bear down
08-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Found out over the weekend that my front 6x9's were only metering 3 ohms. I had to replace the kicker amp that was installed in it (kept on clipping )with a new kicker 650.4 amp. I am replacing the two speaker this weekend but I still have a problem with the amp I replaced, it still clips, not as quickly as before and wants to recover (turns off for a couple of seconds and turns on again and off again). I have the amps enclosed in the wall infront of the passenger seat. There is Zero air flow and circulation, but this is the only amp that goes out. My other 4 6x9 (different amp kicker 800.4) and my two 10" woofers powered by two alpine class D amps work just fine. It's only this one amp that fails and I just put a new one in...what could it be? I have three deep cycle batt's and they were just installed in May and boat fires right up even when the amp is done. But I do notice that the head unit is fire hot so I am thiniking that the amp is next to the head unit and that they are both giving each other some serious temp issues. Any help would be great!

ROZ
08-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track... Stereo amps are class a/b so they get a lot warmer than a class D amp.....

riverbound
08-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Found out over the weekend that my front 6x9's were only metering 3 ohms. I had to replace the kicker amp that was installed in it (kept on clipping )with a new kicker 650.4 amp. I am replacing the two speaker this weekend but I still have a problem with the amp I replaced, it still clips, not as quickly as before and wants to recover (turns off for a couple of seconds and turns on again and off again). I have the amps enclosed in the wall infront of the passenger seat. There is Zero air flow and circulation, but this is the only amp that goes out. My other 4 6x9 (different amp kicker 800.4) and my two 10" woofers powered by two alpine class D amps work just fine. It's only this one amp that fails and I just put a new one in...what could it be? I have three deep cycle batt's and they were just installed in May and boat fires right up even when the amp is done. But I do notice that the head unit is fire hot so I am thiniking that the amp is next to the head unit and that they are both giving each other some serious temp issues. Any help would be great!
Without actually seeing the boat my guess would be the fact that you are running the 650.4 to 4.You are pushing the 650 much harder than the 800.4 to try and balance the sound. The 800.4 is not shutting down because its not working as hard as the 650 to produce the same sound. The fact there is NO airflow is a big problem also. Heat is the biggest killer in Marine audio. The reason the ClassD doesnt shut down is they produce very little heat.

bear down
08-03-2005, 07:45 AM
I am taking the boat back to Car Toyz to have them cut an access panel and install some kick ass fans...I am thinking that should remedy some of the issues. Do you guys think that would work????

riverbound
08-03-2005, 11:36 AM
I am taking the boat back to Car Toyz to have them cut an access panel and install some kick ass fans...I am thinking that should remedy some of the issues. Do you guys think that would work????
getting the hot air off the amps will help with the overheating problems.

bear down
08-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Wired for Sound was suppose to do the cut out but they could not stick with the committment, but Car Toyz is doing it this weekend. Hope this clears the problem up.

bear down
08-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Static impedance measurement is in no way the same as dynamic operating impedance.
English please...Clarify :confused:

ROZ
08-04-2005, 08:21 AM
In English, you can't measure the impedence of a speaker's voice coil staticly with a multimeter. Impedence is a function dependant on a working load throughout the full frequency capability of the speaker. The impedence will change dynamically as the frequency of the music changes. A multimeter will give you an idea of the impedence of the speaker (2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm), but don't count on it for anything more than that.
Exactly. Music frequency changes impedance during reactive loads.. In addition to checking the impedance of a single speaker, you can use a multimeter to check the load of multiple speakers...