PDA

View Full Version : broken rudder replace yes or no

Natedog
08-03-2005, 07:36 AM
I just noticed that the rudder on my jet broke off last weekend i have a 21 foot with a je pump and the boat is not a light weight. just wondering if you guys think i should run it with out the rudder or replace it.

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2005, 07:48 AM
I just noticed that the rudder on my jet broke off last weekend i have a 21 foot with a je pump and the boat is not a light weight. just wondering if you guys think i should run it with out the rudder or replace it.
RUDDERS CREATE DRAG,DRAG MAKE IT GO SLOW(INDIAN PROVERB) :smile:

Heatseeker
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
RUDDERS CREATE DRAG,DRAG MAKE IT GO SLOW(INDIAN PROVERB) :smile:
And they don't help anything either! I'd leave it off.

Mr. Crusader 83
08-03-2005, 09:55 AM
rudders are for new boaters............. leave it off.................... just dont forget to gas it to turn .,........................................

Squirtin Thunder
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
In a boat of that size I would replace it. It makes it much easier to manuver at slow speeds.

jtmarten
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
I just installed a PD a few weeks ago. Decided not to order the rudder. My original setup had a rudder, and it is easier to control at low speeds with it. I've found I have to pay much more attention and do alot more wheel work going through no-wake zones. As mentioned before, if you're moving and drop the throttle and try to turn without the rudder you get nada. You have to keep throttle on it to turn.

NELSON#109
08-03-2005, 11:35 AM
rudders dont do caca..... they are a waste of time and money. it's kind of like someone telling you " i just got a new loader and it fells a coule MH faster". you cant feel 2 MPH, and you wont notice the rudder. Nelson#109

JetBoatRich
08-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Mine broke at CBBB last year and I never replaced it :D never really noticed a difference :notam:
Once you are comfortable controlling your boat, moving around should be no problem. :D

Mighty Thor
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
One reason to replace the rudder on the JE pump is if it is part of the trim system, although technically then it would be a JF pump. My trim cable actually uses the rudder to push the nozzle up or down so I kind of have to have one. Drive the boat for a while with out it and see whether you notice a difference. That will answere your question for you. Around here it seems that the consensus is Do what makes you feel good.

BlueJob
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Another vote for no...I've never run one on my boat so I don't think it is a big deal. It's just a different feel like Rich said, but once you get used to it you'll forget about not even having it.

johnsonmarine
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Want Mine Don't Use It!!!!! :)