PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Craft Glimmer Skimmer

mslou83642
08-03-2005, 08:32 AM
undefined
Hi, I am the Mom of VDriverforever who contributes to this forum.
We, my husband Don Minegar and I, sold Aqua Craft Boats as part of our Whaley and Minegar Boat Shop in San Jose, California in the late 60's.
I am interested in finding out the whereabouts of one boat that we sold to ARMCO STEEL CORPORATION and known as the "Glimmer Skimmer". The boat was purchased by ARMCO STEEL and the new Stainless Armco 18-9 LW was used for all the hardware. The boat was mounted on a trailer that tipped up to show the stainless installations at their trade shows. I have pics of this boat that I could post. Does anyone have any info on this boat? Armco Steel is now AK Steel and is still in Middletown, Ohio. I have requested any info their marketing dept might be able to provide.

vdriver4ever
08-03-2005, 09:10 AM
I can't wait for some of you to see the pictures and promotional work done by Armco Steel and my dad back in the 60's. This boat was awsome. My mom has already found out some pretty cool stuff and I am sure she will post it soon.
Vdriver4ever...

mslou83642
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
After I sent a voice mail to Armco Steel requesting info on the Glimmer Skimmer, I received a very informative phone call from the original Marketing rep who thought up the Glimmer Skimmer idea and worked with my husband, Don Minegar to bring it to life. The boat is an Aqua Craft 18ft with a 427 Holman/Moody Ford for power. It was blue with a monkey pod deck. Alex Wilson, the Armco Marketing guy, said it was used extensively and toured many boat shows to tout the benefits (and beauty) of an all stainless installation. In Alex's words, Armco Steel was looking for a "sexy" way to promote their new stainless material. The idea of producing a sexy boat with their hardware appealed to Corporate and they bought off on it and Alex and Don worked together from conception to launch. At one point, there was a big event in LA with all the hardware Manufacturers attending. According to Don, there were reps from Casale, Nicson and Covico and many more who were happy to machine their custom parts for this boat. The tilt-up trailer that provided such a great display was manufactured in Pennsylvania. According to Alex, Hot Boat magazine was there and photographed and wrote a great story in Hot Boat magazine in 1966-67. (Wish I had that copy!!) I do have a picture of the reporter from Hot Boat riding in the boat with my husband Don. The Glimmer Skimmer ran its course with appearances at boat shows from LA to Miami. At that time, according to Alex, the boat was sold to an Armco employee. And there the story ends, but we are hoping someone out there can tell us the whereabouts of this boat today. Its nice to find out that the two principals in this story are both still alive and well. Don's sons still call him "The Shoe" and he enjoys going fast today as he used to. In fact, our son Mike has a restored Rayson Craft that Don built and he took me for a 70mph ride on my 70th. I will publish pictures soon.

vdriver4ever
08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Great investigative work Mom... Perhaps someone from ***boat can give us the names of people involved in ***boat Mag in the 60's and we can locate the guy who road in the boat that day?

CircleJerk
08-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Miss lo, great to hear of any and all Aquacraft history. We Nostalgia boats have three of possibly the last Aquas still racing. ( 1965 wickens Aqua, 1967 ski boat and my 1968 shark ) is on page 186 of the wildest v-drives at the top of this forum and features stainless cav plates. I almost threw they away and made new alum ones until I noticed how nicely they worked. I can get 7/8 of an inch travel with very stock hardware and it bends effortlessly with a small 1/16 spacer attaced at the hull recess. And then you can pound the dents out and repolish! As most of you know, plate travel is very important to us circular racers and I really enjoy my #57 Shark. Now if I can just get it to run like a b-boat should! Possibly a new driver would help... Any one know anything about Sharks? Don? Lo?

JEThro
08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
"mslou", I'm hoping that you can help me out here. I've got a 1969, 18ft, AquaCraft jetboat. Do you have any knowledge of roughly how many were made and what years they were made? Thanks.

mslou83642
08-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I talked to my husband, Don, who is not computer literate, but very savvy about boats. He said that we got out of the boat business before the jets were made. It is his understanding that they only made a few jets. When I asked him why, he seemed to think the V-hull was not deep enough to support the jet drive? Sorry, we cant help any more. Thanks for reading my post. :)

vdriver4ever
09-28-2005, 08:21 AM
I will try to get some pictures of the Glimmer Skimmer up soon.

vdriver4ever
09-29-2005, 03:00 PM
This was a really cool boat for in the 60's.

Dave Sammons
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517glimmerskimmer1.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517glimmerskimmer2.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517glimmerskimmer3.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517glimmerskimmer4.jpg

76BARRON
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
are you nutt's? ....THAT IS A REALLY COOL BOAT EVEN NOW!!! :D

brianthelion02
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
wow,too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vdriver4ever
09-30-2005, 05:09 AM
That is none other then Skip Volk driving the boat with a reporter from ***boat Magazine at the time.
My dad would love to find this boat today and restore it.

Sleek-Jet
09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Are those GT-40 headers??? :idea:
Hopefully someone has this thing sitting behind a shed somewhere waiting to get rescued... It'd even be better if it was still being used somewhere.

Michael Minegar
09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Those are 180 degree headers. Every pipe is the exact same length. They very well could of been used with the GT-40. They had a sound all their own. At WOT they sounded like a pissed off bumble bee. Skip ran those on all his race boats. Would love to have a set now..Oh the good ol days.

mdr
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Mslou83642 Did You Ever Hit A Log Boom On Pine Flats Lake Ca ?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-19-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Glimmer%20Skimmer.jpghttp://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Glimmer%20Skimmer%20002.jpg
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Glimmer%20Skimmer.jpg http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Glimmer%20Skimmer%20002.jpg

vdriver4ever
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I will let Mom reply on her own but yes it was a log boom on Redinger lake. Who is this?
Jerry thanks for posting the article of the Glimmer Skimmer as hot boat of the month.
Pat Minegar

mdr
02-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I JUST NOTICED THE LAST NAME MINAGER ,and rembered my mom talking about a minager hitting a log boom at pine flats in the mid 60,s or so, my mom and dad ran boats with the pryor boys out of lynwood from cracker boxes to flatbottoms ,and your mom and dad too i think , my name is merle rosenstiel .

vdriver4ever
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Merle,
Yes that is my mom and dad. My brother Mike Rattle Can Lou here on the boards married one of the Pryor daughters. What kind of boat did your folks have? By the way we still boat with the Pryors at the River...

mslou83642
02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi to Merle. We remember your Dad. Your Dad and Mom skiid with us at Pine Flats. Your dad had a Mandella boat and you did a lot of fibreglass work.
We still see the Pryors being as we are "in-laws". They have a place on the river at Parker AZ. They still have an old wood deck v-drive boat and run it on the river. Keep in touch. Pryors told us that your dad passed away some years ago. Where does your Mom reside and where do you live? Answer with e-mail if you wish. I dont know if I have instant messaging.
Marlene

mdr
02-19-2006, 07:32 PM
very cool ,we always called em uncle roy and aunt june .didnt know they still had a place at the river .my folks frank and edythe ran a 58 mandell wooddeck ,olds powered with 6 strombergs .i grew up with johnny pryor .
my mom told me linda had remairred and moved to idaho .well just thought i might stir your mom up a little bringing up the log boom .
p.s. when i take my mom for boat ride ,i never have enough HP for her TO SAY SLOW DOWN ..

vdriver4ever
02-19-2006, 07:39 PM
It's always cool to hear from someone in your past. I was a pretty young kid back then.
My mom did go 70 on her 70th but I can't say she loved it. When brother Mike or I do any "fly by's" at the river house June and my mom (Linda too) run for the house so they don't have to watch.. :)
Johnny is living in Vegas now.

mdr
02-19-2006, 07:50 PM
well i was pretty young too ,49 now . johnny calls here once in a while .does roy still have that v bottom he had in the 70,s

vdriver4ever
02-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes Roy still has the same v-drive. He flipped it about four years ago right in front of the house. Not a good thing to be doing at around 76 years old. Lucky for him and the boat everyone was fine. He doesn't really put it in the water all that much. He just putters around on it in the shop.
You must still be in CA I take it? and you have a v-drive too I take it. I don't know how much you follow this board but its pretty fun. My brother Mike and I have been viewing from a few yeas now. I have a Nordskog that is down in SD getting its second restoration and my brother Mike has two in the works while my brother Ron is restoring a Rayson Craft. On top of this we run a late model race car team. As you can tell we tend to stay busy.

BILLY.B
02-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey mdr..Any cool stories or should I say dirt on the Minegar boys from the OLD DAYS!!!!???. Inquiring minds need to know..... :rollside:

BILLY.B
02-19-2006, 08:10 PM
By the way Mom Minegar, that is one badd boat even by todays standards. Don should be proud. Hopefully it turns up.

mdr
02-19-2006, 08:35 PM
very cool , do they have that old sysyphs cracker box ,me and ricky ,rebuilt that dodge red ram , johnny flipped that one time at elsinore . i have a 67 nordic flat i run here on the ca delta .well sorry to high jack your thread . tell the pryors hellow for me wwhen you run into them .

mdr
02-19-2006, 10:38 PM
sorry billy i dont have any ammo for ya .i was a little kid and didnt know how to collect dirt yet .

vdriver4ever
02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Billy Billy Billy....
There is no dirt to be found on us Minegar boys.. :)
Merle Roy still has the cracker box. It's been sitting ever since it was flipped. Roy says he is going to fix it up someday.... I think its beyond fixing myself...
I remember skiing behind those cool boats as a kid. I remember skiing behind your dad's boat too. I was only four or five at the time.

mdr
02-20-2006, 08:10 PM
hey pat your memory is a lot better than mine ,or maybe the 70 were too good to me .

mslou83642
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, my quest for Glimmer Skimmer has been futile. My last attempt was to contact the Sports editor of the Middletown, Ohio paper. Sent him the G.S. brochure, but there was no interest in helping me to publicize it. Sent e-mails to all the Ohio members of the CVCA, but no response. Sent letters and brochure to the current Media Director of Armco Steel. Although he had heard of the boat, he did not have any personal knowledge, but he sent out feelers to the Armco Steel Retirees Club. I guess we were just wishful thinking that it might re-appear and be Papa Lou's dream boat. But now, the seed was planted in his brain and we are now the owners of an 18foot 1968 Aqua Craft found in great condition near Lake Tahoe, California. For all we know, the Glimmer Skimmer might have been kindling wood, but at least all that stainless wouldnt burn. Thanks for your interest and support in our quest.

wetterwith3
04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
To Mslou its a graet thing to her from your family about this great boat, Don't give up so easy, some things like this take a little bit of time. You said the Corp. sold it to an employee whats this persons name follow that lead? If you would take a momment of your time and check the thred New addition to the family is mine and my girlfriends new boat which is said to be a 70 aquacraft and so anything you and your family can tell us about this boat? We live in EL PASO TX. right now but was born and raised in southern calif. Best of luck on your search and dont give up somebody out there knows next step in the puzzle. :)

mslou83642
04-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Hi Wetterwith3:
Thanks for listening. Yes, we have tried and tried to find out who the boat was sold to.
After I posted on this thread yesterday, I had one more hunch. I love the Internet. Through a series of investigative work, I found the name of the man who heads up the Armco Union Retirees Club. He turned out to be as indefatigable as I and agreed to help me find this mysterious Armco Retiree. Turns out there is an Armco History Museum in Middletown, Ohio. Since this was a successful Armco Sales promotion, there might be something there.
This may be another dead end, but there is always hope, or at least, closure. So, this quest is not over..... yet.
As for your question, My husband Don said they stopped building Aqua Craft boats in 1968, when Skip Volk died, but you could have purchased some remaining inventory, he said. We looked at your thread and saw your boat.

lucky
04-18-2006, 06:06 AM
now how cool is this Thread !!!!!!-- Best of luck finding that jewel . -- I feel all warm and fuzzy With nostogia from YOUR DAYS OF GLORY ! Chris

Rattle Can Lou
04-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Mom, Tell Dad to quit relying on his brain. He's acting like Pat. Skip died on May 10, 1972. One year after I graduated High School. Aqua-Craft boats were still being built up until that time. Sorry about the correction, but the world relies on this information...Your loving Son, RCL

BILLY.B
04-18-2006, 06:31 AM
The shame of it all is that your mother has to rely on the info you give her.

mslou83642
04-18-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks Mike: You always were excellent at dates and trivia.
Mama Lou

CircleJerk
04-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Mom, Tell Dad to quit relying on his brain. He's acting like Pat. Skip died on May 10, 1972. One year after I graduated High School. Aqua-Craft boats were still being built up until that time. Sorry about the correction, but the world relies on this information...Your loving Son, RCL
Are you kidding? That old fart is younger than ME? Discusting! :cry:

ROZ
04-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Wow... This is an awesome thread.. I too hope glimmer skikmmer shows up one day :)

DansBlown73Nordic
04-19-2006, 03:10 AM
What a cool story.....I hope you find it.. :)

mslou83642
04-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Once again my son Mike (Rattle Can Lou) has been my pillar of truth when it comes to the stats behind the Glimmer Skimmer. It turns out that the wood deck, which was made by Harlan Orrin, is black walnut, not monkey pod.
Thanks again Mike for keeping us straight. Everyone has been so helpful in this quest. Right now, I am working on the Ohio trailer plates ID. I mean, how many trailers in Ohio in 1966 were tilt-ups? The DMV and the Ohio Watercraft Division have been so helpful. Thanks to Harlan Orrin and Clarence Collinsworth for their help. IT WILL HAPPEN !!

mslou83642
06-16-2006, 08:23 AM
If you have been following this thread, you know that we are searching for the elusive Glimmer Skimmer, a special 18 foot Aqua Craft that was built in 1967/68 for Armco Steel Company in Middletown, Ohio.
The search has been interesting and somewhat disappointing. When Armco Steel was purchased by AK Steel, the records of the company were scattered all over the place, so the historical data is not easily found. There are several former high level Armco employees that have been actively seeking information through their retiree network. They were intent on helping me locate the name of the employee who bought the boat from Armco after it finished its boat show and metallurgic expos in the late 60's. One special guy has been my connection and he is as dogged as I am to find information. He called me last week with a name... The person who bought the Glimmer Skimmer was named GEHRON. Unfortunately, my friend in Ohio says he could not locate any of Mr. Gehrons relatives since he is deceased. However, his next step, he told me, will be to search the obituary archives at the Middletown newspaper and see if he can locate any relatives that way.
Its amazing how people rally around you and give you help when there is no reward for their efforts except a big thanks.
At the same time Harlan Orrin came through with the necessary hull number.
Harlan kept impeccable records of the wood decks he put on most of the V-Drives and there, in his archives, was a blue Aqua Craft with a Walnut deck, built in 1967.
Now, armed with this new information, I have a very nice lady in the Division of Watercraft in Middletown, Ohio, who has given me her private phone number and wishes to help me when and if I find the hull number. My next step will be to call her when she is available and give her this info.
My son Pat (V-driverforever on this board) has suggested I now contact the boat clubs in Ohio with this new information on the chance Mr. Gehron may have joined one of those clubs.
Keep posted !!
Lou's Mom
mslou83642@cableone.net

76BARRON
06-16-2006, 09:05 AM
It's great to see this kind of determination!
If you keep it up you WILL find it!
My fingers are crossed......GOOD LUCK!