PDA

View Full Version : Blow-by Smoke?

Devilman
08-03-2005, 08:55 AM
I've been doing a little research, trying to get some info. on fixing my 429. When researching blow-by, I find lots of stuff dealing with excessive oil blown everywhere, but nothing about smoke.... Any ideas?

Taylorman
08-03-2005, 09:00 AM
So your engine is smoking? How much? Is it just when you start it or all the time? Mine puffs a little smoke when i crank it but does not smoke once it starts. Not sure if i have leaking valves seals or leaking rings. It still propells me to 70 mph so its gonna run till it dies.

Devilman
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
The short version: It smokes quite a bit outta the breather & out from under the PCV grommet under acceleration... The initial opinion was burned piston or pistons. Now, I'm thinking rings because it still runs fairly decent. Too good to have bad pistons, I would think. My valve train all looks ok & my plugs don't have any foreign material on them (like piston material) & look pretty decent. The first plug on both sides, are a blacker ( but dry) than all the rest... Doesn't seem like it wants to run over 3000 rpm either... I think what caused all of this was trash in the carb & leaned it out due to starvation, if that makes any sense...

Floored
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
That and your recent over warming of the engine can kill the rings. Try a leakdown test and it will rat out whatever is wrong. May the God of cheap repairs smile on you. :D

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
I Built A Pretty Healthy 460 During Spring Time And It Has The
Same Blow By As It Did Before Rebuild.the Only Thing That Seems To
Help Is Some Big K&n Style V/cover Breathers.everybody I Know With Bbf's Have Alot Of Blow By.i Don't Run Pcv's Just Breathers
And Loose Only @1/8 Quart On A Hard Day Of Running.keeps The
Covers From Rusting :)

Devilman
08-03-2005, 01:31 PM
That and your recent over warming of the engine can kill the rings. Try a leakdown test and it will rat out whatever is wrong. May the God of cheap repairs smile on you. :D
That's a definite !!! I'll be doing a compression check when I get home shortly. My builder is worried about my carb also, so after the test, I'm taking the carb to him. Should have an answer of some sort this evening. My next question might be titled: "How Much Blow-By is Too Much?" :idea: :D :D

76BARRON
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
If the carb is questionable (bad?)it can wash down the cylinder wall's with to much fuel and raise hell with sealing the rings. At the very least good breathers are a plus++