PDA

View Full Version : Lifters (whats the diff)

LeadFootTheRabbit
12-08-2001, 11:02 PM
I guess I've been away from this too long. Puttin SBC together for my little old jet boat and the performance books have me a little confused. Anti-Pump, Fast Bleed, High Energy, whats the difference?
LDFTRBT

DEL51
12-08-2001, 11:50 PM
Have you ever heard of Rhodes lifters? This brand had a fast bleed also.The theory is, when the engine is at low rpm these lifters bleed off oil and do not fully pump up.This is suppose to make a difference in idle and allow a big hydraulic cam act more civilized by affecting the lift and duration.When rpm picks up oil pressure increases and pumps more oil into the lifter than what is bled off.This lifter now acts like its solid and performs as the cam mfgr designed.I recall the rhodes had a "tick"at idle.I don't think you need these type for jet boat use.I think the high energy lifters are just high quality standard hydraulic lifters.Call Comp Cams for a recommendation or try clay smith.

spectras only
12-09-2001, 01:32 AM
I have Rhoads in my 429 BBF jetboat for over a decade,still purring like a kitten.DEL51 gave you the info on the technical part already.

LeadFootTheRabbit
12-15-2001, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info. Heres another ? Can a new set of Rhoads be used with a used factory cam or should I have a new cam?
LDFTRBT

spectras only
12-15-2001, 03:12 PM
Rule of thumb for a just rebuilt engine; new lifters/new cam! However new lifters can be used with a good used cam,but not the other way around!