PDA

View Full Version : 429 Heads?

Devilman
08-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Will 429 heads work on a 460 block? Performance wise? Exploring some options...

IMPATIENT 1
08-04-2005, 05:38 AM
Yes

Blown 472
08-04-2005, 05:50 AM
What is the casting number on them? it is right above the center exhaust ports.

Devilman
08-04-2005, 05:55 AM
Is there any kind of performance issues or pretty much the same stuff. Just curious, cause I'm not sure what's going on with mine yet. Talked to the guy that built it & he said he was going to go ahead & get prices on a rotating assembly. I've got a 460 R.A. that needs to be looked over to see if its suitable or not. Not going to have a whole hell of a lot of $$ to throw at it, so I gotta go with the lesser of 2 evils...

Devilman
08-04-2005, 05:59 AM
What is the casting number on them? it is right above the center exhaust ports.
Shit, I saw it yesterday, but I wasn't looking to right it down. DVE- ****?? I'm pretty sure it started with DVE & then I don't recall the rest. The builder tells me this yesterday, "That motor you got there was vintage 1970 Mach 1 429" if that tells you anything. Sound expensive to me.... :D :D

esabataj
08-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Depending on which casting # they are. They will usually raise the compression ratio up to something decent if used on the 460 rotating assembly with the stock soup bowl dished pistons. :D
good thing!!

LakesOnly
08-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Any Ford 429 cylinder head will bolt to a 460 shortblock. The 429 and 460 are both the exact same engine in almost every way, except only for the pistons and crankshaft (they have a different piston pin height & different stroke). Even the bore is the same and so a 460 crank and pistons may be placed into a 429. They use the same block, heads, rods, dizzy, timing chain, timing cover, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve train, etc., with little exception. Except for crankshaft and pistons (which are interchageable as a set anyway...), they are usually the same engine.
Occasional differences come with the later model engines (FI), Lincoln engines with the gear driven power steering pump cover (late 60's) and the production performance stuff such as the Cobra Jet, Boss and PI packages ('60's-'70's).
Sounds like you have a pair of 429 heads that are "D0VE-C" castings. These are cylinder head castings that had an engineering revision for the 1970 model year and are perhaps the most popular production head utilized in a performance application. I have about 12 pair of these heads myself. On a stock 460 with 22cc dished pistons, they will get you approximately 9.2:1 compression ratio. With flat top pistons (such as in a 1968-1970 460), they will get you around 10.5:1 compresison ratio.
All 429/460 production heads suffer from a turbulent exhaust port that requires grinding and reshaping to improve performance. Unported heads can offer up pretty good power in the right combo, but even that combo will benefit greatly by improving the flow characteristics of the iron heads. Larger valves may be fit into the heads as well.
You might like to check the casting number of your engine block. Casting number is located behind the starter motor and reads vertically. IF that motor came from a 1970 Mach 1, then it may be a D0VE-A casting block and enthusiasts like those blocks.
LO
P.s. Whether or not these heads will improve the performance of your 460 depends on which heads are currently installed on that engine. Also, you may need to also change over the valve train depending on which heads your 460 currently has.

Devilman
08-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Any Ford 429 cylinder head will bolt to a 460 shortblock. The 429 and 460 are both the exact same engine in almost every way, except only for the pistons and crankshaft (they have a different piston pin height & different stroke). Even the bore is the same and so a 460 crank and pistons may be placed into a 429. They use the same block, heads, rods, dizzy, timing chain, timing cover, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve train, etc., with little exception. Except for crankshaft and pistons (which are interchageable as a set anyway...), they are usually the same engine.
Occasional differences come with the later model engines (FI), Lincoln engines with the gear driven power steering pump cover (late 60's) and the production performance stuff such as the Cobra Jet, Boss and PI packages ('60's-'70's).
Sounds like you have a pair of 429 heads that are "D0VE-C" castings. These are cylinder head castings that had an engineering revision for the 1970 model year and are perhaps the most popular production head utilized in a performance application. I have about 12 pair of these heads myself. On a stock 460 with 22cc dished pistons, they will get you approximately 9.2:1 compression ratio. With flat top pistons (such as in a 1968-1970 460), they will get you around 10.5:1 compresison ratio.
All 429/460 production heads suffer from a turbulent exhaust port that requires grinding and reshaping to improve performance. Unported heads can offer up pretty good power in the right combo, but even that combo will benefit greatly by improving the flow characteristics of the iron heads. Larger valves may be fit into the heads as well.
You might like to check the casting number of your engine block. Casting number is located behind the starter motor and reads vertically. IF that motor came from a 1970 Mach 1, then it may be a D0VE-A casting block and enthusiasts like those blocks.
LO
P.s. Whether or not these heads will improve the performance of your 460 depends on which heads are currently installed on that engine. Also, you may need to also change over the valve train depending on which heads your 460 currently has.
Now I'm really curious! I'll be checking the heads this evening. The 460 I spoke of is a non-runner. Just block with the crank, rods, pistons, cam & lifters still in it... I have no info on it at all, just came with the boat is all. I'll be able to check the casting number on that one easily. Main reason I brought it up is because of $$$ issues. The 460 will need freshening up before its a usable replacement. If my 429 is gonna cost more to repair, then I'll get the 460 freshened up & swap all the heads, intake, & so on... Kind of a lesser of two evils type of deal. And if the performance level is equivalent, all the better!!
I'll see what them numbers are & post 'em up.....