PDA

View Full Version : DAMN OIL LEAK !!!!!

Kerny
08-01-2003, 08:53 AM
FOR SOME REASON I CAN NOT GET OIL TO STOP LEAKING OUT OF ONE OF MY VALVE COVERS. I CHANGED THE GASKET FROM RUBBER, TO RUBBER WITH GASKET SEALENT, TO CORK. IT ONLY SEEMS TO LEAK WHEN I REALLY JUMP ON IT. ARE THE VALVE COVERS WARPT????

Blown 472
08-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Kerny:
FOR SOME REASON I CAN NOT GET OIL TO STOP LEAKING OUT OF ONE OF MY VALVE COVERS. I CHANGED THE GASKET FROM RUBBER, TO RUBBER WITH GASKET SEALENT, TO CORK. IT ONLY SEEMS TO LEAK WHEN I REALLY JUMP ON IT. ARE THE VALVE COVERS WARPT???? What kind of engine??

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Kerney, What type of breather system do you have? It is possible, while under extreme use, (higher RPMs for a sustained run) the pressure blowing past the rings, (blowby, all engines have at least a little blowby) the pressure is building inside the crankcase and must exit somewhere. Without proper "venting" the weakest point in the closed up engine becomes the "vent". I usually run with a breather on one valve cover, and a PCV valve, connected to intake vacuum, on the other. I've found this to solve alot of oil splatter problems.
If you have an open system and this is just a leak, chances are the valve cover is bent, and needs to be straightened. If its a Chevy, I know Felpro makes a thicker cork gasket, its the same number with an "AC" after it. They may supply them for other engines as well.....Moneypitt

Kerny
08-01-2003, 10:20 AM
I AM RUNNING THE FORD 460. COME TO THINK OF IT MY OIL BREATHER IS OLD AND DIRTY.

Blown 472
08-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Kerny:
I AM RUNNING THE FORD 460. COME TO THINK OF IT MY OIL BREATHER IS OLD AND DIRTY. Fords have a nasty habit of pumping the valve covers full of oil if you wot for a while, bad drain backs, if your valve covers are maginal this might be the problem.

rrrr
08-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Are they cast aluminum or sheetmetal? The metal type get "innie" dimples around the bolt holes from being overtightened.
Take the cover off, remove the gasket. Turn the cover upside down and place the gasket flange on something hard and heavy. I have a piece of 2" X 2" solid steel bar that works great for this. Using a small hammer, tap on the area around the bolt holes to make them flat again.
I use cork gaskets on my FE, they keep a lot of oil upstairs too. Glue the gasket to the valve cover only, I use 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive. Let it dry overnight, install the covers and go easy tightening the bolts.
Does this mean you fixed the flame show thing??

Kerny
08-01-2003, 12:57 PM
YUP! THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING A LITTLE RETARDED. FIXED THAT ALONG WITH THE CARB BEING REBUILT, I ALSO RUN I LITTLE CHOKE, BEFORE I WAS RUNNING NONE. THE GIRLFRIEND IS HAPPY ABOUT NO MORE FLAMES. I TOOK IT OUT TO HAVASU, IT RAN LIKE A CHARM, OTHER THAN THE OIL LEAK.

rrrr
08-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Kerny:
YUP! THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING A LITTLE RETARDED. Well, most of the time it's the boat owner that's retarded, otherwise we wouldn't keep throwing money at 'em. Glad to hear you are making progress. :D :D

Napanutt
08-01-2003, 10:29 PM
rr-That's pretty ****in' funny...yes we are,aren't we...ROFL
kerney-I have a 460 at it doesn't leak a drop,I'd listen to MP and check for proper breathing through valve covers...

Kerny
08-01-2003, 10:59 PM
thanks to all