PDA

View Full Version : 496 Mag Procharger - Gimme everything you know.

PlayTime
03-14-2003, 12:57 PM
496 MAG
550 HP (3.5 psi) or 590 HP (5 psi)
Trying to find out more about the bolt on prochargers from www.procharger.com (http://www.procharger.com) Has anyone installed there own procharger?
If I get the procharger and hold off a little while on upgrading the drive and gears. Am I really gonna mess things up? (A little while being about a season)
Right now I have the Bravo1.
Anything else I should know about. Any high recomendations for people i should you to install it beside teague.(that was for the RODS) wink (Oil everywhere, but it works nice now beside that prop) :D
Let me hear it.

syke-o
03-14-2003, 02:39 PM
i hear there is a company in France that does some good engine work.....

Sandbar Mike
03-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Playtime, go with the 3.5lbs, until you beef the drive, You'll be happy with that, and you won't need any lower end work done.
Have you called HTM to see if they could do it?
If not I recommend calling GT Performance in Montclair. I know there Whipple Certified installers. I'll bet you can get set up for 6K.?
[ March 14, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

jm2drvr
03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
I ran 650 horses through a bravo 1 for 8 years before it let loose, did a lot of skiing behind that boat in those 8 years also. I was religous about servicing it every 50 hours though.

502procharger
03-14-2003, 04:35 PM
i ran 600hp with my procharger and stock bravo 1. no problems. the procharger is very soft on the drive as comp. to other types of superchargers. don't beet on it out of the whole and you will be fine.

Sandbar Junkies
03-14-2003, 05:16 PM
So what is better the Pro Charger or the Whipple Charger and what is the cost difference?

BoatFloating
03-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Playtime, I put one on my 496HO and love it, go here for more info. Procharger info (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000590)
I'm running a Bravo 1 XZ, so far no problems with anything.

bigq
03-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Playtime, I heard the latest PowerBoat magazine has an article on the Procharger and the Whipple. You might want to pick it up. The procharger will be more forgiving on the drive because it is not a positive displacement blower. I have heard good and bad about Procharger, but I think it will come down to the install. Just keep the boost down on the 496 Mag the internals are not as stout as the 496HO.

PlayTime
03-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Sandbar Mike:
Playtime, go with the 3.5lbs, until you beef the drive, You'll be happy with that, and you won't need any lower end work done.
Have you called HTM to see if they could do it?
If not I recommend calling GT Performance in Montclair. I know there Whipple Certified installers. I'll bet you can get set up for 6K.? I think I will call HTM see what they say. Maybe I can even get them to do the job for me. Thanks Mike
502procharger
So basically only upgrade you did was the procharger and it ran good for you? Sounds like the way I'm gonna go.
Sandbar Junkies
Never known anyone with a whipple, my buddy has a procharger and it seems to run good for him, however he did upgrade the drive.
bigq
Ill check out the Mag. Thanks
Thanks again everyone.

Whipple Charged
03-15-2003, 08:49 PM
They do nothing what so ever for the stock ECU which only has a single bar map sensor and hundreds of parameters that could set trouble codes/engine guardian. Theres about 10 calibrations for the Mag alone, which one do you have? Better make sure it's one they've tested because some of the cals are very different and when your not controlling the cals, each change to the ECU will have a dramatic effect on the life of the engine.
Your HTM will respond far better to the 5lbs. than the 3.5. Low boost level is just enough to get it up and packing some air, 5 will net substainsal improvement.
Dustin

Sandbar Mike
03-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Hey playtime, Power boat magazine this month has a write up on Prochargers,whipple
Procharger 496 Mag w/3.5 psi kit $5,396.00 for 550 HP.
w/5 psi kit $6,195.00 for 590 HP.
Whipple only has the 5/6psi kit for $6695.00 for 600 hp.
I would go with the Procharger for sure. the procharger kit w3.5 psi on a 496 mag in a eliminator 28' eagle pushed the boat from 65 to 75 mph. could'nt imagine what it would do to the HTM 24'. wink Good Luck

Whipple Charged
03-17-2003, 06:01 PM
sandbar mike, contrary to your belief, our kit is fully adjustable and you can run any boost you would like, its the same price. We also produce between 620-645hp. Boost is standard 5lbs and it builds to 6 in the last 300rpm. That test was also 5lbs. of boost for the Procharger. Article says "but the engine we tested was fitted with it's 5-pound kit." Our test boat was ill-handling on top which did not allow for the proper peak MPH. Needed trim tabs but they were not available for the test. Boat ran the same speed with 4lbs. of boost due to handling.
Dustin

Cole
03-17-2003, 06:29 PM
You really might want to call Dustin at Whipple!! Not only does he obviosly visit the boards..but they will make sure you are dialed in and running to peak performance.....besides if they dont, you can bust some chops if need be!!!!Cole

XLGPP
03-17-2003, 06:35 PM
a guy out here in NM had a 24' carerra 496 (not sure if mag or HO) with a whipple and a bravo 1... at 4500' elevation that boat jumped right out of the water and ran almost dead even (high 80's) against my HP500 with whipple. He had it for 2 years and never had a problem with the drive. That motor damn sure liked the whipple. I'm not sure if he changed out any internals. he was running 5-6lbs.

502procharger
03-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Both comp. Make very good kits. Whipple has better low end and does re-calibrate your comp. I have not worked with him but Dustin really knows his product and does help everyone out on the boards. I run the procharger on a carb motor, it runs very strong, easy on the drive and great mid and top end. There is much more involved with an mpi motor to keep it running well. Do your homework. You will have to do some sort of drive upgrade with the Whipple but a stronger drive is a good thing. The both are very good kits. Call procharger and talk to their tech people as well as call Dustin and get all the facts. You will not be disappointed with whatever one you choose. good luck

BoatFloating
03-17-2003, 06:51 PM
XLGPP:
a guy out here in NM had a 24' carerra 496 (not sure if mag or HO) with a whipple and a bravo 1... at 4500' elevation that boat jumped right out of the water and ran almost dead even (high 80's) against my HP500 with whipple. He had it for 2 years and never had a problem with the drive. That motor damn sure liked the whipple. I'm not sure if he changed out any internals. he was running 5-6lbs. XLGPP, how can the guy have a 496 with a Whipple 2 years ago, Whipple just came out with the 496 kit a couple months ago????? I know Whipple makes good products, but I'm Very happy with the results gave my boat with 3lbs of boost (10-15mph) I do think the Procharger is a little more forgiving on drive. Just my .02 wink

Whipple Charged
03-17-2003, 11:03 PM
boatfloating,
We had a few beta systems running long before systems were released. You are not required to make drive changes and most are successful when they don't change, service regularly. Any power upgrade will lessen the life of your drive so there is no question, upgraded parts will rarely hurt you, but is by no means required.
As for Procharger, there systems are released as 3.5lbs and 5lbs, when measured with an accurate gauge at or near sea level, average temp and humidity, it's approx. 4 and just a touch below 6.
Thanks,
Dustin

Sandbar Mike
03-18-2003, 06:49 AM
Whipple Charged:
sandbar mike, contrary to your belief, our kit is fully adjustable and you can run any boost you would like, its the same price. We also produce between 620-645hp. Boost is standard 5lbs and it builds to 6 in the last 300rpm. That test was also 5lbs. of boost for the Procharger. Article says "but the engine we tested was fitted with it's 5-pound kit." Our test boat was ill-handling on top which did not allow for the proper peak MPH. Needed trim tabs but they were not available for the test. Boat ran the same speed with 4lbs. of boost due to handling.
Dustin They didn't make mention of the lower boost level system in the magazine write up, I wasn't sure why, thanks for correcting me.
Dustin you should PM Playtime and give him a killer deal on your kit for the 496 Mag. :D that way he can catch up and spank on the 24rods :D

XLGPP
03-18-2003, 09:19 AM
We had a few beta systems running long before systems were released there ya go..

502procharger
03-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Just another thought, although i love my procharger and will continue to run them something i notice is that Dustin is right there each and every time a whipple question comes up. I have yet to see a procharger rep or tech come to this board and step up. I have talked to some very knowledgeable procharger reps; i have also spoken with some borderline retards (no offense intended) it is hit or miss. When you get a good procharger tech, you are set, but sometimes i had to call 3 or 4 times till i found one asking the same questions to them all until i found someone who knew there marine shit. You have Dustin right here, ready to help. That might be worth the sale right there.

carreraboat
03-18-2003, 07:14 PM
The carrera has a 454 mag and it has been one trouble free unit( this is the one that has been on for 2 years) the guy liked it so much he became a distributor for whipple!
we have another 257 with the 496ho mag with a wipple and it is working flawless i would recomned the whipple hands down just me ..02 but has anyone thought how many rpm,s that procharger is spinning to make an equal amount of boost to the whipple
[ March 18, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: carreraboat ]

BoatFloating
03-18-2003, 08:48 PM
carreraboat:
The carrera has a 454 mag and it has been one trouble free unit( this is the one that has been on for 2 years) the guy liked it so much he became a distributor for whipple!
we have another 257 with the 496ho mag with a wipple and it is working flawless i would recomned the whipple hands down just me ..02 but has anyone thought how many rpm,s that procharger is spinning to make an equal amount of boost to the whipple XLGPP, there you go........ wink
Carreraboat, Two completly different power bands.....

24RODjr
03-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Umm shouldn't you get comfortable with your boat with its present config before upgrading Frenchie? :D
Seriously though, read up on which is best for your engine setup and dive in. My $.02 is to have a qualified person install it for you. Teague did ours (not exaclty a rookie in the business) and it still required fine tuning.
Besides, I think it's illegal to look for a SuperCharger in the Unitited States of America if you aren't comfortable above 65MPH (that was for the Playtimes :) )

24ROD
03-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Sandbar Mike:
Whipple Charged:
Dustin They didn't make mention of the lower boost level system in the magazine write up, I wasn't sure why, thanks for correcting me.
Dustin you should PM Playtime and give him a killer deal on your kit for the 496 Mag. :D that way he can catch up and spank on the 24rods :D We the 24ROD's feel it's better to give than receve spankings wink wink :D

Sandbar Mike
03-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Besides, I think it's illegal to look for a SuperCharger in the Unitited States of America if you aren't comfortable above 65MPH (that was for the Playtimes :) ) [/QB][/QUOTE]
Chris, is playtime the guy who wears the $5.00 red life jacket while undereway? :D :D

PlayTime
03-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Chris, is playtime the guy who wears the $5.00 red life jacket while undereway? :D :D [/QB]That would be Syke-O, Just caught that thread sandbar mike, Doing homework and I think I may be giving dustin a call. Still have to research some more. 24Rod Jr are you already worried about the speed? 65 just is not enough, too slow for my taste. Don't cry it will all be over soon and then I'll let you catch up :D wink

24RODjr
03-19-2003, 08:29 AM
PlayTime:
[QUOTE]
24Rod Jr are you already worried about the speed? 65 just is not enough, too slow for my taste. Don't cry it will all be over soon and then I'll let you catch up :D wink BUWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
65 is too slow for your taste!!!! :D :D :D :D
Dude you brighten up my day with your posts...
65 is too slow...it that why you slow down for rollers....is that why you grab for the "oh-shit" handle when my boat isn't even going north of 60?
Worried?? he he he ...I welcome the extra speed on your ride...that way you have no excuses when you continue to get spanked :D
65 is too slow....you haven't even driven it that fast yet.
ROTHFLMAO:D:D:D

PlayTime
03-19-2003, 09:10 AM
"Supercharged 454
It ain't about speed...it's about pimpin'...right boyz?"
Awefully sensitive for someone with a signature like above aren't you argue .
Dont be sad :mad: . I'll still let you hang out with. :D :D

24RODjr
03-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Mad? I've been laughin' all day homie! :D
Don't get all emotional...small people.... :D