PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wire

BADASS38CHEVY
08-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Im getting the boat all wired for the stereo system. For the jl 1000/1 I was going with the zero gauges wire and for the 300/4 I was going with 4 gauge.I was thinking about using the Rockford Fosgate 15 gauge Type RF CPRG15-30 for the mids and tweeters. does any one know where to buy 300 to 400 feet of this wire.Is this pretty good wire to run or is there something better.

1stepcloser
08-05-2005, 06:10 AM
For the jl 1000/1 I was going with the zero gauges wire and for the 300/4 I was going with 4 gauge.
:eek:
IMO, 10 gauge would be fine on the 1K and 14 or 16 gauge would work for the 300.
For the hardcore in you, you can step up to 8 on the 1K and 12 for the 300, but I really believe thats overkill.
I used speaker wire from my local Dow/Marvac electronics supply. (10 and 14 gauge respectively)
If you want to blow the coin, I would personally use Monster cable (http://www.monstercable.com/caraudio2/).

Flashover
08-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Monster Cable makes some good Speaker wire That you can usualy buy on a spool...

BoatFloating
08-05-2005, 08:44 AM
IMHO
2g for 1000/1
4g for 300/4
1/0 is overkill..... :notam:
And soche (sp?) or monster both make good speaker wire and pretty color too.... I wouldn't rack my brain trying to figure out what speaker wire is better. In a boat and most cars it doesn't matter :wink:

BADASS38CHEVY
08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I talked to jl and they said for power wires and grounds to use zero on the 1000/1 which i already have and 4 gauge on the 300/4 which lavey craft will supply. Im looking for the best speaker wire for the mids and tweeters.I was told that fosgate uses more strands and copper in there high end wire.I dont mind spending a little more for good wire. I dont like blowing speakers, and I should get a better sound.Running long wire will cause resistance correct?So bigger wire and more copper is better? http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-eR0XtpARJSf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=722&I=575CPRG15

ROZ
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I talked to jl and they said for power wires and grounds to use zero on the 1000/1
That's because this amp can be voltage sensitive as it gets to it's low voltage minimum...

ROZ
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Hopefully I'm not becomming an internet wire jocky for saying this :notam: ;) , but I think the dielectric works better on the inside of the positive cable's strands... The magnetic field is strongest at the center of the cable itself, so it makes more sense....Breaking the mag field up helps in the "time correction"... I could be wrong though :D
Carbon Marine or H20ski may have better info on this...

Norseman
08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Pay no attention to the man standing behind the curtain!!!!!! :220v:
Wire Info (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)

rivercrazy
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Copper is copper. As long as the wire gauge is sufficient for the use, there will be no sound difference. The only advantage of higher stand copper wire is its more flexible and looks a little nicer.
Almost all the various brands source their wiring from a suppliers in Asia. The only difference is the packaging and what name is on the wire.
Cracks me up how wire marketing empties wallets!

BoatFloating
08-05-2005, 02:16 PM
That's because this amp can be voltage sensitive as it gets to it's low voltage minimum...
I've had no issues.... Well until about a year after I got it but that wasn't a wire issue :D

ROZ
08-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Pay no attention to the man standing behind the curtain!!!!!! :220v:
Wire Info (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)
Yes, just because something is measureable doesn't mean it will make an audible difference. But does it electronicall make a lick of difference? ... Does a tree in the woods make a noise when it falls and there's nobody there to hear it? The chart was nice, though :D
Voodoo makes everything better ;)

ROZ
08-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Copper is copper.
Yes. Monster Engineer told me that the difference of cost in some of their wire was the amount of copper in the wire used... think pure silver is better but cost both arms and 2 leg...
Most of us don't have the kind of gear that you can hear upgrades( wire, interconects, speakers, sources to a highend home amp) in... That shit is for tweaks with a lot of $$ ...
We're just talkin 12v and no SQ comp vehicle, at that....
He just needs good low resistant wire with good sheilding :)

BoatFloating
08-05-2005, 04:23 PM
He just needs good low resistant wire with good sheilding :)
Exactlly what I said....... :eek: :cool:

Mr. Naudio
08-05-2005, 05:14 PM
I talked to jl and they said for power wires and grounds to use zero on the 1000/1 which i already have and 4 gauge on the 300/4 which lavey craft will supply. Im looking for the best speaker wire for the mids and tweeters.I was told that fosgate uses more strands and copper in there high end wire.I dont mind spending a little more for good wire. I dont like blowing speakers, and I should get a better sound.Running long wire will cause resistance correct?So bigger wire and more copper is better? http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-eR0XtpARJSf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=722&I=575CPRG15
if you are running very long lengths then make all the same lengths
like spool up wire for the speakers that are close to the amp
unless of course you can run it out half way and back this would also cut down on resistance :D

BADASS38CHEVY
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
so instead of spending 1.50 a foot for the fosgate Riot wire im better off spending 60 cents a foot for just regular 14 gauge wire. The chart makes alot of sence to me ,i will be running at the longest point 20-25 foot of speaker wires.I want a clean look and dont want to run short pieces of wire to cut corners.

h2oski2fast
08-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Carbon Marine or H20ski may have better info on this...
CarbonMarine doesn't know squat! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: And I don't really care. :cool:
Your not running enough current throught the wire notice the difference in speaker wire. Personally I would use 14 to 16 gauge wire, even for the subs. AC is a whole different animal than DC.
PS. ROZ just likes to use big words! :D :D :D

h2oski2fast
08-05-2005, 11:52 PM
if you are running very long lengths then make all the same lengths
like spool up wire for the speakers that are close to the amp
unless of course you can run it out half way and back this would also cut down on resistance :D
It actually works best if you coil it up around a power wire, or even better the alternator. Makes a whine that we call the "Audio Tach". :wink:

ROZ
08-06-2005, 12:21 AM
It actually works best if you coil it up around a power wire, or even better the alternator. Makes a whine that we call the "Audio Tach". :wink:
I'm going to give that a try :)
SmartAss ;) :D

57American
08-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Wow, the sarcasm ROCKS on this thread! :2purples:
With regards to speaker wiring lengths:
Cutting all wire the same length is horse manure!
While the pseudo-science, and actual science might point to benefits in doing this, (equal resistance and reactance, timing, phase, etc) the reality is you won't hear the benefit.
All you will hear is the tiny bit of noise injected into the wire from other RF sources, and the banging of all of that extra wire hitting everything else as it bounces around under way.
Coil it? Can someone say inductor?
Cut you speaker wire to the length required to go between the speaker and the amp.

ROZ
08-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Wow, the sarcasm ROCKS on this thread! :2purples:
That's the way this place works :D
With regards to speaker wiring lengths:
Cutting all wire the same length is horse manure!
While the pseudo-science, and actual science might point to benefits in doing this, (equal resistance and reactance, timing, phase, etc) the reality is you won't hear the benefit.
Well make up your mind, buddy :D

BADASS38CHEVY
08-06-2005, 07:43 AM
CarbonMarine doesn't know squat! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: And I don't really care. :cool:
Your not running enough current throught the wire notice the difference in speaker wire. Personally I would use 14 to 16 gauge wire, even for the subs. AC is a whole different animal than DC.
PS. ROZ just likes to use big words! :D :D :D
That pretty much sums it up,thanks

57American
08-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey Roz-
Hah hah hah! Mind is made up.
:D
I think I am going to go get my silver braided directional Kimber Cable out of the attic. SHIATT! I lost my speaker wire polarity tester, now how am I going to figure out which end to connect to the speaker? :squiggle:
'Probably doesn't matter too much, that wire is a few years old now, and probably is tarnished all the way through.

ROZ
08-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Hey Roz-
Hah hah hah! Mind is made up.
:D
I think I am going to go get my silver braided directional Kimber Cable out of the attic. SHIATT! .
Been there done the Kimber Cable route. I had quite a few feet throughout a car....
'Probably doesn't matter too much, that wire is a few years old now, and probably is tarnished all the way through.
What, that patina might add a little character... Ya might not hear it though ;) :D

BADASS38CHEVY
08-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Do all speaker wire need to be seperated from each other or can they be zip tied or touching each other? will that cause any problems.

Essex29
08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Damn Badass, Get that thing done already!!!!The season is going to be over and I want to check it out! :)

BADASS38CHEVY
08-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Damn Badass, Get that thing done already!!!!The season is going to be over and I want to check it out! :)
I know what your talking about!! I have pretty much figured that i will have a couple months boating left by the time i get it.We have a place in parker and like to go boating in the late summer too.I should be out there soon.

rivercrazy
08-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Do all speaker wire need to be seperated from each other or can they be zip tied or touching each other? will that cause any problems.
I wouldn't worry about it. There is adverse affect from running them in the same loom. You can even run power and grounds in the same loom with speaker wires. The old story about inducing noise if you don't seperate the wires is an old wives tail. Just make sure you power and ground connections are solid and your ground is connected directly to the battery in a boating application.

BADASS38CHEVY
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. There is adverse affect from running them in the same loom. You can even run power and grounds in the same loom with speaker wires. The old story about inducing noise if you don't seperate the wires is an old wives tail. Just make sure you power and ground connections are solid and your ground is connected directly to the battery in a boating application.
Thanks.