PDA

View Full Version : Whats Up With Diesel

WHIPPED502
08-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Diesel $2.99 9/10 per gallon at Vallero in Victorville. Will it be time to switch to gas with a .50-.60 cent a gallon difference? I hope it goes down.

Ziggy
08-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Diesel $2.99 9/10 per gallon at Vallero in Victorville. Will it be time to switch to gas with a .50-.60 cent a gallon difference? I hope it goes down.
It makes no sense that it's the same let along be higher than gas..low-sulfer Ca diesel, blah, blah, blah. :hammer2:
I ran accross a deal in Havi for diesel....if you buy food at Smith's you get discount for fuels...I paid $2.05 for it there, with the Maverick station accross the street still being at $2.39 or so.....

Jordy
08-05-2005, 04:06 PM
It's jumped 20 cents in the last week by my house to $2.66 a gallon, although I can't complain because I saw it out in Mesa today for $2.89 a gallon. Just about enough to piss ya off... no reason for diesel to cost that much other than greed. :mad:

BLOWN HOWARD
08-05-2005, 04:11 PM
3.07 in upland

WHIPPED502
08-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I have been told that Diesel is a byproduct of gasoline and much cheaper to refine. Is this true?

jdf
08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
yes it is

Ziggy
08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I have been told that Diesel is a byproduct of gasoline and much cheaper to refine. Is this true?
Hense the "Crude Oil burners" tag we get put on us.......

Chubby4Life
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Maybe the energy cost to keep the underground tanks heated went up! :D

Jordy
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
That's funny right there... :D :D :D
Although, not to bring that other thread back up, but wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to run little insta-hot style hot diesel, I mean water, heaters in the pumps themselves rather than trying to heat up the whole underground tank??? :idea: :D

Ziggy
08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
That's funny right there... :D :D :D
Although, not to bring that other thread back up, but wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to run little insta-hot style hot diesel, I mean water, heaters in the pumps themselves rather than trying to heat up the whole underground tank??? :idea: :D
Those insant heat deals are the shiz.......

SummitKarl
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
LMAO very good,
some Truckers have told me it's because of all the Diesel pickups now on the road are driving up demand

Bre
08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Your telling me..... I guess I got it good then.. I paid 2.94 last night :messedup:

Jordy
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
all the Diesel pickups now on the road are driving up demand
I'd say it's market savvy oil company execs who see people paying $6000 more for a truck with a diesel package on it and figure they won't mind paying more for fuel. ;)
It used to be, at least around here, that the pumps in North Scottsdale where the little JAP ladies with the turbo diesel Mercedes and the urban tough guys with the Hummers would get fuel, diesel was $.50 to $.75 a gallon higher, and this was like 10 years ago. Tell me they weren't reading that market? :D

phebus
08-05-2005, 04:32 PM
That's why they call me Rick Vegas. I go out and buy a diesel truck, and the price of diesel soars......figures :hammer2:

RiverOtter
08-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Huh.... Only $1.50 here in TN
Just kidding. Don't have a friggin clue what diesel cost here. :D
River<---Still has a gas burner--->Otter I did pay $2.35 for 93 octain though.

77charger
08-05-2005, 04:49 PM
for every barrel of oil i think you get 9 gallons as diesel.Now with everyone buying diesels in full size trucks maybe a little supply and demand.It not at every corner station either.

Chromegorilla
08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
OMFG! I can't believe the price of diesel out there! I filled up today and diesel was the same price as 87..... $2.09/gallon. That has got to suck major ballz.

RiverOtter
08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
OMFG! I can't believe the price of diesel out there! I filled up today and diesel was the same price as 87..... $2.09/gallon. That has got to suck major ballz.
LMAO!!

*BN*
08-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Supply and demand, the more diesels sold with all the employee discounts is going to have an affect.
Just like in ALL products..........stop buying it and the price will go down!

mmered8299
08-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Hook up with a restruant that has a fryer and make you own.

Scream
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Supply and Demand. One of the prinicipal refineries of Diesel in the Southwest is going off line for repairs and maintenance, driving up the cost of diesel up to sickening levels. Although I have a gas sucker Suburban, I've got my work trucks costing me more than I care to think of...

Danhercules
08-05-2005, 07:28 PM
for every barrel of oil i think you get 9 gallons as diesel.Now with everyone buying diesels in full size trucks maybe a little supply and demand.It not at every corner station either.
One fact is not gonna help. How many gallons of gas comes from a barrel?

BOBALOO
08-05-2005, 07:32 PM
With diesel being 25 to 40 cents more a gallon around me I am GLAD I bought a GASSER.:D Where is that so called benefit of spending an additional 5k to just drive the truck every other weekend? Oh yeah and fill it up for 25 to 40 cents more per gallon. :hammer2:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418truck-med.jpg
My work truck is a diesel so I get to hunt for diesel stations in areas unfamiliar to me when I get low and then usually pay the highest price around.

probablecause
08-05-2005, 07:35 PM
WTF... I almost forgot why we were in Iraq.

phebus
08-05-2005, 07:54 PM
With diesel being 25 to 40 cents more a gallon around me I am GLAD I bought a GASSER.:D Where is that so called benefit of spending an additional 5k to just drive the truck every other weekend? Oh yeah and fill it up for 25 to 40 cents more per gallon. :hammer2:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418truck-med.jpg
My work truck is a diesel so I get to hunt for diesel stations in areas unfamiliar to me when I get low and then usually pay the highest price around.
Thanks for making my decision to buy a diesel such a wise decision........focker. :D

77charger
08-05-2005, 07:58 PM
One fact is not gonna help. How many gallons of gas comes from a barrel?
19.5 for gas and 9.2 to be exact for diesel
smart ass :D :D :D

Just Tool'n
08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Tuesday 8-2, go buy the Shell Station, Credit Price $2.70 a gallon.
I Think this is getting rediculace!
at lunch time, taking one of my dealers to lunch, Shell station south end of town $2.94 a gallon, Now I think north end of town great price.
Tuesday 8-2, on way home, need diesel. Go back to the North side shell, price now jumps to $2.82 a gallon! WTF!!!!!!
I ask the guy inside, .12 cents in 12hours that is ridiculace! $80.00 to fill it up!
On the way home pass a Chevron Station, Diesel $3.29 a gallon, now I feel a little better!
I tell my 7 year old, this is hwy robbery, then he ask's What is that!

Danhercules
08-05-2005, 08:16 PM
19.5 for gas and 9.2 to be exact for diesel
smart ass :D :D :D
Smart ass is better than a dumb ass. :D :D
I was not tryin to be a smart ass, just did not know the facts.

TheLurker
08-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Supply and demand is correct. ...Through the grape vine Chevron in
El Segundo had a fire in one of their Crude units and shut it down around July 20'th . Might be down for another week before all of the damage is repaired and back on line.
Also effecting gas and diesel imports from other states was a fire at the B.P refinery in Texas City I believe and the entire Mobil refinery in Joliet Illinois was shutdown due to a major problem last weekend.
Refinery operating capacity always is much higher than ANYTHING else in the manufacturing sector. When there is a problem you will see it.
By the way these things don’t start up and shutdown at the flip of a switch. This is probably the most dangerous times in operating a refinery but as you can see by some of the mishaps and you don’t hear about them all it does have its risks to it.
Diesel is not a byproduct of gasoline but a component in oil the same as gasoline is. With the newer specs. there is a little more refining required.

Jordy
08-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Supply and demand
To a certain extent, I'd say that the more trucks on the road is affecting the prices, but more than that, I still say it's the oil companies' greed. Take for example the Kinder-Morgan pipeline break we had between Phoenix and Tucson a couple years ago. That line ONLY took super unleaded (and I suppose other gas as well, but I don' t know all the specifics) from Phoenix to Tucson and all of the sudden there was a gas shortage in Phoenix. There are tank farms on the west side of town with millions of gallons of gas, but all the sudden, overnight, they were all empty (even though the line that broke didn't have anything to do with Phoenix supply mind you)???? Lines for gas, prices went through the roof, diesel doubled in price, all overnight. Gas went from $1.30 or so up over $2.00 and in some cases up to almost $4.00 at some stations. Diesel did the same. Our gov did an investigation into the whole deal and couldn't find any wrong doing or price fixing/gouging going on. Gotta wonder how many 0's were in that contribution check to her political war chest.
They fixed the pipeline and gas settled back down around $1.75 a gallon and the bad thing is, after paying over $2.00 a gallon, everyone was happy it was only $1.75. What a bunch of fockin' criminals. Then they have the nerve to do the news releases where every oil company in the country experienced record profits. Well, DUH!!!! If you can double what you're selling your product for and everyone has to use you, what do you think is going to happen to your bottom line???
OK, I'm done with my rant.

unleashed
08-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Fock, I didnt notice the price of Diesel until today. I went to fill up and my gauge wasnt moving. I then looked at the price and Holy Shiat it was 2.99 a gallon? Whats up with that??? I have 2 poker runs and its gonna cost me more to tow my boat out than to fly???
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

bfab33
08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I paid 3.32 at Am/Pm

PHX ATC
08-06-2005, 06:57 AM
We just bought a gas car and have decided to take it on vacation in October. Good thing, it gets better mileage than our trucks and the fuel will be less.
I have 2 diesel trucks and still will keep them. I figured out if I sold my 2001 diesel and bought a $30K gas miser (whole bunch of theoretical number crunching here) that I would only save $3200 in fuel costs over 5 years, so to me, it's not worth it really. That's not including higher insurance, license fees, etc. Of course the comparison vehicle wasn't a Kia... :D

Chromegorilla
08-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Just FYI on way to work today saw prices went up here. Gas went up 2 cents to $2.11 and diesel went up 1 cent, now $2.10 So it's actually cheaper now.... woohoo!

Freak
08-06-2005, 07:54 AM
It's supply/demand.
This is what you have to look forward to.
"Baghdad -- Despite having the world's second-largest reserves of oil, Iraq announced Monday that it will begin rationing gasoline over the next few months to cope with a continuing fuel shortage.
Iraqis will be issued ration cards next month allowing them to buy limited quantities of kerosene and cooking gas.
Later, they will face restrictions on gasoline.
Increased demand for fuel and the failure of the U.S.-led reconstruction effort to restore refining capacity have led to chronic shortages, resulting in long lines and short tempers at gas stations.
The government has been spending millions of dollars a month to import fuel to meet demand.
Announcing the measures Monday, Oil Minister Ibrahim Bahr al-Uloum said the aim "is to make sure that each citizen gets his share of gas."
"This will lessen the suffering of Iraq," he said."
Britain is getting ready to roll out the same thing.
Hawaii has got there own experiment.
"August 2, 2005 05:34 PM
Come September first, Hawaii will be the first state to adopt a gas cap law.
It'll set maximum prices on what wholesalers can charge for gas."
It looks as if shortages, fuel lines, and all the problems associated therewith are about to begin in Hawaii.
I watched the diesel and gas prices move up while sitting at a red light yesterday.

Freak
08-06-2005, 07:59 AM
We just bought a gas car and have decided to take it on vacation in October. Good thing, it gets better mileage than our trucks and the fuel will be less.
I have 2 diesel trucks and still will keep them. I figured out if I sold my 2001 diesel and bought a $30K gas miser (whole bunch of theoretical number crunching here) that I would only save $3200 in fuel costs over 5 years, so to me, it's not worth it really. That's not including higher insurance, license fees, etc. Of course the comparison vehicle wasn't a Kia... :D
Buy a used diesel car. That way you can run alternate fuels.

PHX ATC
08-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Buy a used diesel car. That way you can run alternate fuels.
Then everybody behind me would smell like popcorn and fried chicken! :)

Reaper1
08-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Spent $80.00 to fill up my truck today at 2.99/gallon.
We're getting FUC$ED!!! :mad:

IMPATIENT 1
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Spent $80.00 to fill up my truck today at 2.99/gallon.
We're getting FUC$ED!!! :mad:
THANK BUSH AND CHENEY!! THEY'VE GOT TO HAVE SOME KIND OF RETIREMENT FUND ONCE THE WHITE HOUSE GIG IS OVER.I WORK FOR GENERAL MOTORS AND WHEN I GET UP IN THE MORNING I KNOW THAT MY FAMILY WILL GET THE THINGS THEY NEED FROM MY CHECK SIGNED BY THE GENERAL. BUSH/CHENEY GET LESS THAN 1/4(WHAT A HEARD)OF THEIR INCOME FROM THE PRES./VICE PRES. JOB.MOST FROM MIDDLE EAST BUSINESS.WHAT DO YOU GUYS SEE IN THAT?
MOST STORES(SELF SERVE)ONLY MAKE 10-15 CENTS ON FUEL PER GALLON. :idea:

Mrs. casean
08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Then everybody behind me would smell like popcorn and fried chicken! :)
:D Too funny!

BoatPI
08-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Here it is... the Chevron refinery in El Segundo had a fire 12 days ago. It is shut down until next week. As I recall it is one of the largest in the State.

Jordy
08-06-2005, 04:10 PM
It jumped another 10 cents a gallon in the time it took me to get home, change clothes, open the gate and pull the boat out and head down the road. $2.76 a gallon. Up 30+ cents in the last few days. :hammerhea

100+Placecraft
08-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Well the fire in El Segundo is definitley why, I work there, and havent had a day off because of it. We have our Crude Unit down(where the fire was) and it should be coming back on line next week. We also have another plant down due to the fire. Both of these plants are very big diesel producers for California. The BP refinery in Texas City is also a very large supplier for the rest of the country. I dont think that plant is going to be back for a very longtime. Huge explosion a couple months ago and then another last week. I drive a diesel too, and its killing! Both of the plants should be back online next week.