PDA

View Full Version : Look Here If You Own A Panther Pump

ANY&ALL
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Are you happy with your pump? Would you like a steady rpm control? How about less cavitating in light chop? Fuel mileage looking a little bleek? Having pourpising problems at higher speeds? How about handling, is your boat tracking well?
If you answered any one of these ?'s with a yes we might be able to help in the future. Please help us help you by answering some of the following ?'s.
what is the make of your boat?
what is the length of the hull?
what year is the hull?
which one or all is the problem out of the ?'s above

malcolm
08-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Are you going to make a mixed flow conversion kit for them that accepts berkeley accessories? :D

ANY&ALL
08-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Not at liberty to say, but we are working on something to cure these problems and gain an average of five miles an hour. So if you own a pather please list the following to help us get the product out and ready. We need this info to find out, whats the biggest complants from panther owners.
Thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
08-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Are you going to make a mixed flow conversion kit for them that accepts berkeley accessories? :D
Sounds like a hot-ticket item to me! :cool:

malcolm
08-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I thought it would be great. Hey ATM man! How about a new energizer program! :)
On the serious side, if you guys think you've found the problem with them, more power to ya! I have a Panther powered boat in my yard right now, my Dad's. It isn't running yet so I don't know how it will perform. It's a 21' Sleekcraft Jr Executive that will be BBF powered.

jrork
08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
1978, Brendella, 18'.
Still shaking it out but hope to get some GPS numbers very soon.
Cavatation seems to be a issues with others, lack of performance parts, limited diverter options and those that are available are big $$$$$.
love the construction, stainless impeller, sealed bearings.........
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2227Copy_of_IMG_2270_Large_Web_view.jpg

ANY&ALL
08-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks keep them coming! the other thing we are going to try to keep the price down so that most pather owners can afford it.

jrork
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
we are going to try to keep the price down so that most pather owners can afford it.
I like that a lot!
If I can, you might try to post something on the Panther forum on LaidbackBoaters.com
Might get some bites there as well

jrork
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Any & All, you have a pm..........

Screemy1
09-10-2005, 04:37 PM
1978 haskell 20' 454 with panther. I only have problems keeping the nose down while towing a tube at lower speeds, i.e. hid in tube. Oh and another problem, other jetters making fun of it :)

jrork
09-10-2005, 04:46 PM
1978 haskell 20' 454 with panther. I only have problems with other jetters making fun of it :)
Jealousy, pure jealousy. That's what I think it is :D

malcolm
09-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Yup! That's it! ;)

jrork
09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Figured I'd get a response with that one. :mix: Thanks for not letting me down buddy

Jet City
09-10-2005, 07:13 PM
A&A, what are your thoughts on offering a stronger imp shaft, I understand this to be a weak area on the Panther, I would think beefing up the bushing diameter and possibly adding a larger fillet radii where the impellor nut shoulders the impellor would add alot of strength.
I've owned a Panther for over 5 years, for my purposes it has done fine for me in factory form, but I think its cool that you and others want to make them run hard.

Duane HTP
09-11-2005, 07:28 AM
How soon do you think you will have your deal ready to roll? What will the cost be? I have this boat I got on trade I was about to put on E-Bay.
Maybe your deal will make it sellable. Nobody in this part of the country will buy a boat with a Panther in it.
It's the 20' Mini-Day Cruiser next to the bottom of the page. at the site below;
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Boatsforsale.HTM

jrork
09-11-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm hoping soon too Duane. I'm looking at the clearances on my pump now I'm figuring a freshening up is due.
If they are offering something for improvement I'd like to work it into the rebuild while I'm at it.

wrenchdaddy
09-11-2005, 02:21 PM
1978 18' Sadler, 468 BBC. I think my biggest problem is lack of top end, it will hit 70 and then stop, not sure how to cure that but it needs it. Im pushing about 500 Hp and if I floor it from a stand still it will cavitate, not sure if that is my problem or too much horsepower. At 70 Im running close to 6,000 RPMs

HOOTER SLED-
09-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Panthers suck. :D

AZKC
09-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Of course they do :hammerhea All jets suck thats how they work :wink:

jrork
09-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Hmmm. I'm thinking they're toying with us panther folk. No response.

Cas
09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
they are working on something. I don't think they come around here much is all.

jrork
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Gotcha Cas. Thanks

GBLASER
09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
If you are trying to fix them, then learn one thing PANTHER not PATHER

malcolm
09-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately I don't see any way to "fix" the Panther. It would take a complete re-design from the ground up. Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of good ideas in there. I'm a big fan of the tapered bearings running in gear oil, the spring loaded water pump seal, and the nice SS impeller. But for all the good ideas, there's just as many bad ones. The main one being the WEAK ASS DRIVE SHAFT! If you can't come up with a solution for that, I'd say you're wasting everyone's time. Just my 2 cents.

jrork
09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Malcolm, I can see you're becoming a true believer :D
By the way, I got back in town tonight. Probably still won't make it out this weekend though.

malcolm
09-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Ha-ha! I was just thinking, "He's supposed to be out of town!" Can't I post a little crap about Panthers in peace? :rolleyes:
Come on, I'm thinking about holding out till Sunday. Make Ian put it back together while you supervise. :D

jrork
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
He's supposed to be out of town! Can't I post a little crap about Panthers in peace? :rolleyes:
Now, that is funny.
It's not just the boat now. I've got home (and work) related junk to do. Hey, who knows, maybe we'll do a New Years run on the river as Matt suggested. That'd be pretty cool.
By then maybe I'll be able to talk you into ditchin that hottub pump and putting in a Panther ;)

malcolm
09-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Hee-hee! :eek:

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately I don't see any way to "fix" the Panther. It would take a complete re-design from the ground up. Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of good ideas in there. I'm a big fan of the tapered bearings running in gear oil, the spring loaded water pump seal, and the nice SS impeller. But for all the good ideas, there's just as many bad ones. The main one being the WEAK ASS DRIVE SHAFT! If you can't come up with a solution for that, I'd say you're wasting everyone's time. Just my 2 cents.
Why does everyone talk about the shaft being week ??? Is there some design flaw that needs to be addressed ??? Do they make any other shaft for the pump or is the stock shaft it ??? I have seen many of you posting that you are spinning them to 6K, do you break the shafts often ??? If you were to spin a Berk to 6K and unload and load, with a stainless impeller I am sure it too would have problems
Please help me understand what you are actually talking about !!!

malcolm
09-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I'll take a few pics of my broken Panther shaft tomorrow and let you see for yourself. ;)

Squirtin Thunder
09-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I'll take a few pics of my broken Panther shaft tomorrow and let you see for yourself. ;)
Is it because of unloading and loading ??? Or just poor loading ??? Or maybe even too many RPMs with a stainless impeller on a stock type shaft ???

malcolm
09-17-2005, 07:23 AM
My shaft is out of a 21 footer so I don't think it was going fast enough to get unloaded much. I'm sure it's because of the heavy impeller and the shaft is too small. Wait till you see it next to my Jacuzzi WJ shaft! :p I'll get the pics up tonight.

ANY&ALL
09-17-2005, 05:34 PM
So sorry guys have been way busy with my buisness.Its been crazy, I have not even been on hot boat much. Which is crazy for me. I'm also been in the proscess of building my house what a summer. I will get everything figured out this winter so we can use it fresh out of the gate in spring thanks for all the replies and intrest it has not been ignored thanks so much Any&All

malcolm
09-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Here ya go. Guess which shaft is the Panther.... :eek:
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/2shafts.JPG
Here's a close up of where it's broke just ahead of the impeller.
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/cracked.JPG

jrork
09-17-2005, 06:02 PM
So sorry guys have been way busy with my buisness.Its been crazy, I have not even been on hot boat much. Which is crazy for me. I'm also been in the proscess of building my house what a summer. I will get everything figured out this winter so we can use it fresh out of the gate in spring thanks for all the replies and intrest it has not been ignored thanks so much Any&All
Yuck :eek:
That does not sound like my idea of a good summer but then again if it pays the bills, it's probably a good thing.
All of us with Panthers will stand by like a bunch of kids on Christmas eve. Good luck with your house

malcolm
09-17-2005, 08:04 PM
What'dya think of my pics there John?

jrork
09-17-2005, 08:07 PM
The Jacuzzi hollow? ;)

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Looking at the pic there is definately room for inprovement with that push rod they call a shaft.

jrork
09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Looking at the pic there is definately room for inprovement with that push rod they call a shaft.
Hey ST, Malcolm doesn't need any help baggin on my lowly panther
Gotta admit, it is kinda tiny but remember, size isn't everything :notam:

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey ST, Malcolm doesn't need any help baggin on my lowly panther
Gotta admit, it is kinda tiny but remember, size isn't everything :notam:
Damn a stock BBF has bigger push rods than that Panther has for a pump shaft !!! But it can be fixed !!! Pricing will definately go up with a real shaft.

malcolm
09-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Heh-heh! :cool:

Cas
09-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Jim,
Now you know one of the reasons why I didn't think it was a good idea for your cousin to put all that HP to the Panther.

jrork
09-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Damn a stock BBF has bigger push rods than that Panther has for a pump shaft !!! But it can be fixed !!! Pricing will definately go up with a real shaft.
Come on. It's only money. If you could make it run like a mutha, a new shaft would be worth it.
I guess we're back where we started. Can a Panther with some mods run with the big dogs?
Hmmm, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Squirtin Thunder
09-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Okay Panther folks, my recommendation would be to send Chad (Any&All) an old Panther with a shaft. I think that making a shaft is not going to be that tough to fit the Panther. I just keep thinking about the sexy models at the Cow Palace everytime I hear the word Panther.

jrork
09-17-2005, 10:25 PM
I just keep thinking about the sexy models at the Cow Palace everytime I hear the word Panther.
Hmm??? I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with the direction that this is going. Cow's and sexy have never appeared to belong together. What state are you from ST??? :D
I'm gonna keep Any&All in the loop with the mods I make.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Hmm??? I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with the direction that this is going. Cow's and sexy have never appeared to belong together. What state are you from ST??? :D
Hmmmm Arizona. Arizona is kinda close to Taxas. Ya KNOW about all they have in Tx don't ya???? :D :D :D

SmokinLowriderSS
09-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Last winter's upgrades replaced all my 5/16" pushrods in my 454, does anyone need any new Panther shafts? Some are a little longer than others, but they are all straight and not broken. Might need some thread-cutting near one end as I saw.
:wink: :wink: :D :D

Squirtin Thunder
09-18-2005, 02:23 PM
The Cow Palace was the place where all of the Boat Shows where help at In Northern Cal in the early years. All the big manufactures would show up and showcase there products.
As for Sexy Ladies Panther payed big for them. Cas may have some old Panther pics with them.

Squirtin Thunder
09-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Okay Panther folks, my recommendation would be to send Chad (Any&All) an old Panther with a shaft. I think that making a shaft is not going to be that tough to fit the Panther.
Gotta admit, it is kinda tiny but remember, size isn't everything
Those shafts sure are small, so size will be important along with some extra strength !!!

malcolm
09-19-2005, 07:11 AM
The bad part is, it will still have to be small enough to fit the impeller, and that's where they break. :idea:

Squirtin Thunder
09-19-2005, 07:42 AM
The bad part is, it will still have to be small enough to fit the impeller, and that's where they break. :idea:
In your dealings with this pump do they all break around the same place ???
Do you have a pic of the impeller on the shaft outside the pump ???

Cas
09-19-2005, 09:41 AM
what's interesting is that in the 6 or so years I've been playing around with Panthers, I've only heard/seen about 2 shafts cracking. In the same time, I've heard/seen quite a few twisted/bent Berk shafts and 1 Jacuzzi....in my limited experiences of course.
I'm sure all of them will fail due to fatigue after a certain amount of time. I'm also sure the type of use will make a difference too.

malcolm
09-19-2005, 09:33 PM
That's a funny story, I didn't think there was anything wrong with this shaft. I remembered talking to Jet City about his Panther a while back and he said his had a crack in it right in the same spot. I was just showing my Dad where his was cracked and low and behold, "this ones cracked in the same place... and it goes all the way around!" Then there was the four letter words and stuff. :p I figure they may all be cracking and people just don't know it yet. Who knows how much longer ours would go before it just snaps, prob'ly a while, but I can't put it together knowing it's there. :)
I'll see if I can find that impeller and shoot another pic. It's here somewhere.

malcolm
09-20-2005, 07:50 PM
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/shaftnimpeller.JPG

jrork
09-21-2005, 05:33 AM
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/shaftnimpeller.JPG
Looks fast :wink:

jrork
09-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Got mine pulled apart (1st time since I bought it) and this is what I found.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Straight_On.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Backshot.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Good_shot.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
09-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Hard to tell, is that area actual hard scuffing/contact with the impeller or just paint stripping from cavitation at the top of the suction housing?

jrork
09-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Look a little to the left and you'll see that the cavation has eaten away at the surface. Hmmmmmm

malcolm
09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Don't know if I'd call it cavatation or just erosion. After all, we call aluminum water soluable metal. :D

malcolm
09-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Sabrina just looked at your pics and said "nice fan". :D

jrork
09-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Sabrina??? I thought we were closer than that!

malcolm
09-24-2005, 09:07 PM
She just calls 'em as she sees 'em. ;)

jrork
09-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Here ya go. Guess which shaft is the Panther.... :eek:
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/2shafts.JPG
Here's a close up of where it's broke just ahead of the impeller.
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/cracked.JPG
Hmmmm... Mine is a bit different. It jumps from the threads to where the key is to hold the impeller and then after than it jumps up in size again..........

brianthelion02
09-28-2005, 09:20 AM
So,are you gonna replace this or get it repaired?I pulled mine apart and found somewhat of the same thing,just not as severe!!!!!
QUOTE=jrork]Got mine pulled apart (1st time since I bought it) and this is what I found.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Straight_On.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Backshot.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2227Good_shot.jpg[/QUOTE]

jrork
09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Brian,
Tried to send and private message and email and it wouldn't let me.
Give me a buzz at jrork@wavecable.com