PDA

View Full Version : MSD distributor making noise???

HotDogz
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Went to test fire the boat this afternoon and my MSD distributor is making a buzzing noise, boat was a little slow to fire as well. Usually 1 rev will do. What is that noise??? :hammerhea I am afraid to run the engine with that noise. Any help would be appreciated.
Electronic MSD distributor
Marine ignition box
rev limiter
MSD coil

skeepwerkzaz
08-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Possibly a cap/rotor rubbing problem, a bad bearing, or a dist. gear problem.

HotDogz
08-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Noise is only audible when the ignition is on, motor not running. Like an electronic buzz. Took the cap off and with key on, noise is coming from pickup..???????

skeepwerkzaz
08-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Does the engine run?

HotDogz
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah was little slow to fire but she ran and the idle was a little high. Only let it run for e few seconds until I could scrounge up some more info on this bugger.

skeepwerkzaz
08-05-2005, 07:15 PM
I would say to pull it out and send it to MSD. That is if you have a spare, if you don't then I could loan you a ready to run HEI for the time being. MSD stuff is finicky, either it works GREAT, or you can't rely on it at all. Buzzing isn't normal, and electrical components are not too be taken lightly in a marine environment. If you need the loan, let me know.
Clay

HotDogz
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I really appreciate the offer, might have to take you up on it. Gonna try CP in the morning and try a new module, cap and rotor. Have 50+ hours on new ignition, this shouldnt be happening yet, right?? NEVER a problem before. Also going to fully charge system and check wire connections again. :idea: Gotta love boating!! Anothe beer and I should have it licked by morning. :p

skeepwerkzaz
08-05-2005, 07:22 PM
No sweat, just let me know.
P.S. where in NorCal do you live? I have a '79 nordic w/ a bbc

SUI-CY-COLE DIMARCO
08-05-2005, 07:33 PM
check the clearance of dist-to manifold or block..you might have to shim distributor up it might be binding on oil pump and shaft

HotDogz
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Went out and poked around some more. I removed the distributor cap, turned the key on, put my ear up close to the distributor trying to find out which piece is making the noise and in front of my face is my MSD coil w/a purple electrical arc humming between + and - contacts to coil boot. :confused: . Immediately turn off ignition. Nothing is obviously wrong, removed coil wire and replaced (felt tight), checked connections. Tried it again, no arc :D :confused: Fired right up. I am at a loss and a little nervous.
Sorry for the story but it helps to vent. Skeepwerkzaz, thanks for your offer but looks like it may live another day. I'll take it out tomorrow and test it out.