PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my 6 year old to surf...

ROZ
08-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Since Blown Howard posted of his daughter's participation in a sport he did as a kid, I thought I'd do the same.
On her own, she has been grabbing one of my shrof boards from the garage and paddeling it around the pool.. So it's time..
Monday I played hookie from work and took my daughter to the beach to teach her how to surf. It was a little overcast, but the water was warm and the surf was small, perfect. She's learning balance on my 7ft funboard, but will graduate to the 5ft pink softboard at the local surf shop that she wants oh so bad.
We spent about 30 minuites letting her get use to the "feel" by her riding the board prone from about shoulder high water(to her.. that's hip high to me :) ) to shore. She got bored of that really quick and started standing on her own. I curbed that and had her take about 20 minuites wrth of waves(white wash) riding on her knees. After doing well at that, I told her to ride it however she wanted. She chose to stand, ofcourse.. We did that for a bout an hour then collected rocks into a 5gallon bucket to put into the fountain in our courtyard.
She did excellent!!! I'm so proud of her!
It was a great day :)
Wish I had my camera :( We'll bring moma next time :D
Thanks for sharing, blown :)

locogringo
08-06-2005, 12:07 AM
sweet! Good time to start.

rivergoer
08-06-2005, 01:26 AM
thats so cool, i cant wait for my wife and i have kids, so i can teach them how to surf..especially because we will be living in huntington beach. :D

shueman
08-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Very cool Roz....they do catch on quick... ;)

NashvilleBound
08-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Very cool. Take some pictures for sure next time. BTW: What are you doing with a 7' Rhino chaser? I figured you for a triple scag, channeled 5'6ish razor with some sort of quadrophonic super whammy wireless ipod glassed in :idea: :D

BarryMac
08-06-2005, 05:24 AM
That's awesome Roz, gotta teach 'em young, they pick it up faster that way and it hurts alot less they fall...

mrs. centurion
08-06-2005, 05:42 AM
That is so cool! :smile:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Very cool, Roz! My dad got our 8 year old up on waterskiis last summer, but I wasn't there to see it. :frown: Hopefully he'll do it again this weekend.
I think doing stuff like that really builds their self esteem and gives them something to brag about. Plus, that's some major quality time there. She'll never forget that her dad taught her how to surf.

OutCole'd
08-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Roz, that is so cool. To me, that is one of the best parts of being a parent, to relive some of the moments we had a kids that were so important to us. To see them do anything for the first time is awesome.
Congrats.

PHX ATC
08-06-2005, 06:48 AM
So, she's already better than you, eh? :rollside:

1stepcloser
08-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Way cool, buddy!:cool:
Arent girls the best..... :)

TrojanDan
08-06-2005, 08:24 AM
C'mon Roz, when are you going to teach her how to completely re-wire a boat? I know she's only 6 but it's never to young to teach 'em. :D

Tremor Therapy
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Dude....you should have called me! I played hookie on Monday, and my daughter has always wanted to learn to surf....could have used one of your other boards and done the same thing!
Glad you had a great time!

ROZ
08-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Dude....you should have called me! I played hookie on Monday, and my daughter has always wanted to learn to surf....could have used one of your other boards and done the same thing!
Glad you had a great time!
We're going out again this Monday morning. I have 2 other boards if you want to go :)

ROZ
08-06-2005, 09:12 AM
C'mon Roz, when are you going to teach her how to completely re-wire a boat? I know she's only 6 but it's never to young to teach 'em. :D
Already tried.. Her hands are too small to operate the crimper, but she can run wire with the best of them, well atleast until Kim Possible is on :boxed: :D

Water Romper
08-06-2005, 12:04 PM
As a safety feature… :idea:
You may want to look into the “soft-boards” for the little peeps…they can be found used on e-bay, classifieds etc. or new ones at your local board shop (RonJons has a decent selection) plus most local areas (here in So Cal) will rent them as well… :idea:
Reason for this post…I took my (at the time) 9 year old son to Newport and let him give the waves a try…we were out in about 2 feet of water, he caught a nice small roller, got up, fell off and then **WHAM** right in the head… :eek: the board smacked the lil guy really hard, needless to say, he’s a little “board-shy” now…. :eek:
2 years later, he boogie boards and I surf… :D :D

Water Romper
08-06-2005, 12:12 PM
As a side note… :cool:
Looking for a used 7-4 (or close) tri-fin “FunBoard”
by:
Ed Sakal, Robert August, Stewart or something close.
(hey, gotta do something when not at the river)

BarryMac
08-06-2005, 12:48 PM
As a side note… :cool:
Looking for a used 7-4 (or close) tri-fin “FunBoard”
by:
Ed Sakal, Robert August, Stewart or something close.
(hey, gotta do something when not at the river)
I have an Al Merrick 9'0" that I'm selling, PM me if interested...

Ziggy
08-06-2005, 12:53 PM
WaterRomper...my wifes got a couple Doyles she selling right now...one in pefect shape the other is good but does absorb some water. both about 6'ers
Jans the surfer in my family---I didn't have the coordination to do it.

ROZ
08-06-2005, 01:31 PM
You may want to look into the “soft-boards” for the little peeps…they can be found used on e-bay, classifieds etc. or new ones at your local board shop (RonJons has a decent selection) plus most local areas (here in So Cal) will rent them as well… :idea:
She has her eye on a hot pink 5'' softboard at our local shop. I tole her I'd get it for her once I felt it's something she'd like to continue doing...
She's totally stoked :D

PHX ATC
08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
She'd sink on a 5" board, how about a 5' board for her? :D

ROZ
08-06-2005, 01:43 PM
She'd sink on a 5" board, how about a 5' board for her? :D
Oops, your right... I'd better get the price on the 5' model... Then I'll get the cost of the 5' surfboard... :D

OutCole'd
08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
She has her eye on a hot pink 5'' softboard at our local shop. I tole her I'd get it for her once I felt it's something she'd like to continue doing...
She's totally stoked :D
That is very cool. What a great dad.

Caribbean Jet
08-06-2005, 01:47 PM
surfing is a great sport, we're going down to the Powerplant in Carlsbad on saturday. I hope that she enjoys the sport.

GrapeApe
08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
He said "Stoked"...... Sounds Like Roz is reliving his Childhood.... Great Story.. :D
*** Grape Ape ***

bunny 166
08-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you two had a fun time....good job Dad :D