PDA

View Full Version : Pulling My Hair Out! No Fire?

crichard
08-08-2001, 07:52 AM
I just put in a MSD ignition, 8mm plug wires, new coil and distributor in my 460 and it was starting everytime like clockwork for the last two days. Last night I hooked up the waterhose to run the engine a little longer. No problem. Then I put new gaskets on my hardin headers (unrelated right) and this morning I can't get it started? All my plug wires seem tight and its getting fuel. I am at a loss. I haven't had much sleep and have a trip planned to broke bow lake in Oklahoma any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The boat hasn't hit the water this season.

rivercrazy
08-08-2001, 08:44 AM
I hope this is not the case, but you might have water in the motor. Pull some spark plugs and turn the motor over to make sure you don't. If not just take it slow and go over each part of the ignition to make sure something didn't get bumped loose when you were working on the exhaust. Could be a simple as a coil wire, etc.

fryzll
08-08-2001, 10:07 AM
Hey Crichard, if you used the MSD spark box just do yourself a favor and call MSD and get the specs for testing the box. One of my buddy's had a bad one right out of the box and my other buddy had almost the same prob as you, his boat ran great the first weekend he put it in, when he tried starting it before the next trip it had no spark. The test procedures that MSD will give you are very easy and will eliminate alot of hair pulling. Hope it all works out. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Chris
[This message has been edited by fryzll (edited August 08, 2001).]

TX19
08-08-2001, 06:37 PM
Ditto on checking the MSD box. I have had the same problem ... new MSD worked fine for a few days, then it takes a dump...so now I use a Mallory Unilite / MSD6M...that way if the MSD quits, one little jumper will get me going again...without the MSD. Good luck!