PDA

View Full Version : NO more loud boats . . . .

LHC Kirby
05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
what is the definition of Loud? and I guess will all be slowing down to enjoy the view!
No wake zone on river OK'd
By DAVID BELL
Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:00 PM MDT
Boaters will have to act like angels through the Devil's Elbow, according to new rules established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
A no wake zone has been established on the Colorado River at the Devil's Elbow area of Topock Gorge at the request of the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge.
John Earle, manager of the refuge, said the area is narrow and features a dangerously sharp turn. “Devil's Elbow has had several serious boating accidents in the past. The no wake zone is intended to slow boaters down so they can navigate the turn safely.”
In addition to the new rule at Topock Gorge, the backwater area between the south buoy line at the entrance to the river and Castle Rock is now a no wake and No Personal Watercraft (PWC) zone. Buoys will mark both areas.
Waterskiing is also prohibited along the entire stretch of the Colorado River from the north end of Lake Havasu to the I-40 Bridge. And loud boats are not permitted to operate on any area of the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge.
“Loud noise is extremely disturbing to most wildlife and reduces the value of the refuge. Excessive noise also affects the quality of the experience for human visitors,” said Earle.
The Havasu National Wildlife Refuge manages the Arizona portions of Lake Havasu and shoreline from Windsor Beach north to the river entrance near Catfish Bay. From Catfish Bay to the I-40 Bridge both sides of the river are managed by the refuge as is another ten miles north on the Arizona side. Congress has designated about 18,000 acres of refuge lands on both sides of the Colorado River through Topock Gorge as National Wilderness.
- You may contact the reporter at dbell@havasunews.com

LHC Kirby
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope this does not mess up too many people.... loud boats going into the gourge.... who will enforce this? maybe Topack will lose some business...
PWC will not be going to Disneyland or other areas any more either... who enofrces this?

b's sanger
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Couldn't find noise restrictions listed on the National Wildlife website. Arizona Fish and Game still list a limit of 86 decibals at 50 feet using the A range.

shueman
05-05-2006, 05:14 AM
...In addition to the new rule at Topock Gorge, the backwater area between the south buoy line at the entrance to the river and Castle Rock is now a no wake and No Personal Watercraft (PWC) zone. Buoys will mark both areas.
It's this the area called "speed alley".....?? Where OP6C-9 was IS posted no wake....this will move no wake down to the lake entrance and over to the east shoreline....WOW... :220v:

Big Warlock
05-05-2006, 05:35 AM
I wish I could find my posts from about a year and a half ago. My predictions are coming true. :cry: Sorry Bob!

dicudmore
05-05-2006, 05:56 AM
where is this Devil's Elbow they speak of?

havaduner
05-05-2006, 06:04 AM
where is this Devil's Elbow they speak of?
About 3-4 miles up from the sandbar. A hard right turn(as you are going upriver) the gorge walls are straight up on both sides for about 3/8s of a mile followed by a left.
It does get rough in there, I have seen a lot of boats slowing down in that area when it gets rough, and it makes it tough to navigate at times.
Guess I'll have to leave a couple minutes earlier for my Topock breakfast on Sundays...

THOR
05-05-2006, 06:07 AM
About 3-4 miles up from the sandbar. A hard right turn(as you are going upriver) the gorge walls are straight up on both sides for about 3/8s of a mile followed by a left.
It does get rough in there, I have seen a lot of boats slowing down in that area when it gets rough, and it makes it tough to navigate at times.
Guess I'll have to leave a couple minutes earlier for my Topock breakfast on Sundays...
That is the roughest part of the stretch. It gets like a bath tub in there sometimes.

dicudmore
05-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Would that be where it always seems to swirl a few different directions and remind you of the Bermuda triangle?? There's a couple spots up that way I always back way off for

KLEPTOW
05-05-2006, 06:19 AM
This will be great for Boats with a low free board..........They are truely going to turn that area into the Devil's Property.
I'll bet 5+ boats go down in there the first Holiday weekend.

UncleLarry
05-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Heres a map of the refuge...
Might have to zoom in on the map....
Wildlife Refuge Map (http://www.411havasu.com/Wildlife.pdf)

INSman
05-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Would that be where it always seems to swirl a few different directions and remind you of the Bermuda triangle?? There's a couple spots up that way I always back way off for
I am pretty sure that is it.. The wife of a buddy of mine almost flew/bounced out of there 21 open bow boat once coming around that corrner and taking 2 big cross wakes, she landed hard and was crying from the pain.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
the backwater area between the south buoy line at the entrance to the river and Castle Rock is now a no wake and No Personal Watercraft (PWC) zone. Buoys will mark both areas.
Is this the area that the BBSP is held at each year?

MAINEVENT
05-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Somehow i think the big blue is starting to look more and more apealing... by the time you know it only electric boats and kayaks are gonna be allowed on this bitch... :(

77charger
05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I have had a couple near misses from boats haulin thru there wide open then they cut across without looking.
Oh well dont have to worry about it anymore :rollside:

shueman
05-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm all for this change......
Topock Gorge Video (http://media.putfile.com/Devils-Elbow-2-79)

Coach
05-05-2006, 07:30 PM
We like to stop at the same spot on the video. One problem is the London Jet comes by and creates a tidal wave and almost beaches 4 of our boats. No Wake zone will be a welcome change to the area. Not to mention too many guys doing 70+ around the bend

b's sanger
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm all for this change......
Topock Gorge Video (http://media.putfile.com/Devils-Elbow-2)
I don't mind the slowing down part, it's the alleged noise thing that's got me going.

shueman
05-06-2006, 03:15 AM
I don't mind the slowing down part, it's the alleged noise thing that's got me going.
I'm thinkin' the noise dealio has to do with the backwater areas habitat, probably shutdown that speed alley area to no wake.

Wake Havasu
05-08-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm thinkin' the noise dealio has to do with the backwater areas habitat, probably shutdown that speed alley area to no wake.
Is it currently deep enough for a prop to get to Topock?
I make to around Mesquite Bay ( CA side across from CatFish Bay) and find the water is only 9 feet deep and getting shallower!

duffster
05-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Heres a map of the refuge...
Might have to zoom in on the map....
Wildlife Refuge Map (http://www.411havasu.com/Wildlife.pdf)
Nice map. Thank you

Keith E. Sayre
05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
this is just the first step of many where the old people coming to our town
who don't have a life continue stepping on our fun. for 40 years they chased
us out of California and we had to come to the river for fun, now that we've
turned the river into a fun place and desirable place to be, the old tree huggin haters now want this place for their own, we've seen it coming and
last years marina situation, this year it's the channel and the sand bar closing and the copper canyon restrictions, now the "noise in the wilderness"?
I'm thinking Lake of the Ozarks or Costa Rica for me. They don't allow old
people with bad attitudes at either place!
Keith Sayre

riverracerx
05-08-2006, 10:12 AM
So no PWCs are allowed up river starting at the mouth? Or am I reading this wrong?

wanna B V
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Just wondering, if this no wake zone is for everyone, does that mean the London bridge jet boats will have to slow down also? No more tital waves from them!! And who is going to enforce this-theres always some bonehead blasting thru no wake areas-are the water cops going to just sit out there ALL day, every day???

CMATT21
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Costa Rica sounds good. I'm outa here. I was passed by the LB jet boat last week. Felt like I was passed by an exxon valdez tanker.

HALLETT BOY
05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
this is just the first step of many where the old people coming to our town
who don't have a life continue stepping on our fun. for 40 years they chased
us out of California and we had to come to the river for fun, now that we've
turned the river into a fun place and desirable place to be, the old tree huggin haters now want this place for their own, we've seen it coming and
last years marina situation, this year it's the channel and the sand bar closing and the copper canyon restrictions, now the "noise in the wilderness"?
I'm thinking Lake of the Ozarks or Costa Rica for me. They don't allow old
people with bad attitudes at either place!
Keith Sayre
Keith, I see it mainly as a deterioration in peoples attitudes over the last 10 or so years, as soon as something becomes popular and attracts more and more people , things tend to get out of control. I have found that common
courtesy and kindness does seem to exist like it used to only a few years ago.

SurfOnH20
05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I am glad to own an outboard... :)