PDA

View Full Version : I so wish I could get 3 phase at home...

YeLLowBoaT
05-04-2006, 11:04 PM
This gives me a woody...... (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/157669310.html)
$3800 saw for $1200 that looks barnd new....I would bet it does not even have 100 BF thru it yet.

Flying Tiger
05-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Not that difficult or expensive to change over to 220v.

superdave013
05-05-2006, 02:15 AM
a static phase converter only costs about 100 bucks. I ran both a mill and lathe at home for years using them.

mickeyfinn
05-05-2006, 02:43 AM
This should solve the problem for you.
VFD (http://cgi.ebay.com/LENZE-6808-S-23-VFD-1-4-to-5-hp-220-Volt_W0QQitemZ7615767054QQcategoryZ42894QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Old Guy
05-05-2006, 04:05 AM
Rotary phase converter's are also good. I have 2 friends with them. One is a three hp unit, the other is a 30 hp unit. The 30 hp unit is used to run a very large Kearney & Trecker milling machine that he uses for decking engine blocks and other motor work.
It's not difficult or terribly expensive.
Roger

doesitfloat?
05-05-2006, 05:24 AM
I have the same saw, bought it new for $2000. Great oiece of equip. I switched over to a 5hp single phase motor that I had. Either way, buy it..it's a great deal!

Tom Brown
05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
The pm66 is the saw to get. That's a killer price. I didn't know you could find a used one for that kind of money.
It's definitely a lot more saw than a unisaur. :D

a catered life
05-05-2006, 05:47 AM
guess i dont have the little builder inside of me

WYRD
05-05-2006, 07:07 AM
a static phase converter only costs about 100 bucks. I ran both a mill and lathe at home for years using them.
What he said a phase converter is the way to go................prepare to watch your meter smoke while it spins though :220v:

steveo143
05-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Just bought a static phase converter yesterday. go to www.phase-a-matic .com, I have one on a mill and the new one is going on a band saw, they work great.
steveo143

Old Texan
05-05-2006, 07:37 AM
This should solve the problem for you.
VFD (http://cgi.ebay.com/LENZE-6808-S-23-VFD-1-4-to-5-hp-220-Volt_W0QQitemZ7615767054QQcategoryZ42894QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
VFD isn't a solution as all it does is controll the motor speed which isn't at issue. Variable Frequency Drives adjust the cycles or standard 60 Hz to control speed and don't change voltage or phase requirements
The rotary phase device is what he needs to convert incoming 1 ph to run a 3 Ph motor.
Consult you local Graingers as they sell thme rated on motor hp. Also as mentioned you can convert to 230-1-60 using a single phase moter also available thru Grainger. Cheaper than the OEM.
That's a great saw you're looking at, but before you buy look at Grizzly. They make top shelf equipment at reasonable price. Same unit with extensions is in $1,200 range.
I have several Grizzly pieces of equipment and had very good luck with all.

Sherpa
05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I built my own rotary converter using a 10hp motor.
I can run my 7.5hp ironworker, a 3hp mill, and a 3hp lathe. not all at once,
but since I'm a one-man-band, it doesn't really matter. I can run 2 tools
at the same time FWIW.........
--Sherpa

MagicMtnDan
05-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Figures, Brown doesn't like the Unisaw.
I'm very happy with mine...
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/images/Delta-Unisaw.jpg

sorry dog
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
What Brown really needs 460/3 for...
...is to provide booster service for the plumbing at his house...
http://www.pattersonpumps.com/images/seriesflarge.jpg

superdave013
05-05-2006, 09:59 AM
VFD isn't a solution as all it does is controll the motor speed which isn't at issue. Variable Frequency Drives adjust the cycles or standard 60 Hz to control speed and don't change voltage or phase requirements
The rotary phase device is what he needs to convert incoming 1 ph to run a 3 Ph motor.
Consult you local Graingers as they sell thme rated on motor hp. Also as mentioned you can convert to 230-1-60 using a single phase moter also available thru Grainger. Cheaper than the OEM.
That's a great saw you're looking at, but before you buy look at Grizzly. They make top shelf equipment at reasonable price. Same unit with extensions is in $1,200 range.
but some of the smaller VFD's you can put single phase 230 in and get 3 phase out. Just lock it at 60HZ and you are set. Those things are getting so cheep that it's less then a rotory phase converter most of the time.
Static converters have always worked just fine on anything I've used them on. 5hp and under. They talk about power loss but I'll tell ya. When I moved my mill and hooked it up to a true 3 phase I didn't notice any real power increase.

mickeyfinn
05-05-2006, 12:06 PM
The VFD would solve his problem. I see these go for around 50 to 100.00 on ebay. If you would have read the ad it is 220V Input, 3 phase output. Leave it at 60 hertz and you are good to go. With a VFD you also get the ability to vary the speed of the saw if you have a need to.

Old Texan
05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
The VFD would solve his problem. I see these go for around 50 to 100.00 on ebay. If you would have read the ad it is 220V Input, 3 phase output. Leave it at 60 hertz and you are good to go. With a VFD you also get the ability to vary the speed of the saw if you have a need to.
"New in box, Lenze #6808-S-23 Variable Frequency Drive. 1/4 to 5 hp input 220 volts, 3 phase, 5.0 amp output #1 0-220 volts output #2 0-120 hrz "
Yeah that's real clearly worded. :rolleyes:
I sell inverters everday for bridge cranes and hoists. Industrial aps rarely have this problem and I wasn't familiar. I take your word for it.
Oh and I'll make sure read better next time. :cool: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YeLLowBoaT
05-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Figures, Brown doesn't like the Unisaw.
I'm very happy with mine...
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/images/Delta-Unisaw.jpg
I hated my unisaw... I had to resqaure the blade every time I moved it up or down.. I am much happier with my PM66 now its 5hp single phase with out the sliding table...
I could run a phase invert...I just would rather not go that route...I really don't need another table saw...

Jbb
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
What Brown really needs 460/3 for...
...is to provide booster service for the plumbing at his house...
http://www.pattersonpumps.com/images/seriesflarge.jpg
sludge pumps at the cabin..... :p

Old Texan
05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
sludge pumps at the cabin..... :p
Those babies can move some bran....... :cool:

sorry dog
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
...and pass 5" solids...but needless to say that with a 12 week turnaround on warranty service... several backups are needed.

Jbb
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
...and pass 5" solids...but needless to say that with a 12 week turnaround on warranty service... several backups are needed.
I understand the .."cheddar" component .....is rather corrosive... :p

mickeyfinn
05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Sorry Dog,
Where was that pic taken? Looks like some of our Influent stations.

sorry dog
05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm not really sure where that one is. I think that kind of setup is typical whereever you got to transfer a lot from a clearwell, surge basin, raw water intake, or whatever.
I was on a job that installed 3 pattersons like in the pic but a bit larger for a 30MGD water plant... that happens to be downstream from JBB. I now drink bottled water on the side of town that draws from there...

steet
05-06-2006, 06:42 PM
If you are looking to convert 220V single phase to 3-phase, the best solution that I have seen is the "RONK" add-a-phase unit. It will handle a complete house or you can run a 30 or 40 hp motor. It is used on apartments,houses, condos, etc., for elevators, or anything else that needs big power. It is not cheap, but will be other the long haul.

wsuwrhr
05-07-2006, 08:19 PM
What he said a phase converter is the way to go................prepare to watch your meter smoke while it spins though :220v:
Yea I was convinced of the same thing.
I use a static phase converter for my Bridgeport due to convienience, and it was the first machine I bought.
I run a 40HP rotary phase converter for my Kitamura CNC mill and Mori Seiki CNC lathe. My electricity bill more than DOUBLED when I got my shop going full time at my house.
My bill went from $50. to $100-120. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:argue: :argue: :argue: :argue:
A static phase converter should work for that saw if you keep it 3 phase, or like someone said, just replace the motor with a single phase deal. Plenty of big equipment is ran on single phase.
Either way, like SD said, unless you are running a HUGE load on the saw, you probably won't notice any difference.
I never notice any difference with with my Bridgeport unless I am using a facemill.
Brian