PDA

View Full Version : Water injection on headers.

BigBlockBaja
08-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Got my boat wet tonight for the first time. And also got my first ticket too.. Had my order in at CP Performance for my water valve, but its been backordered. Got stoped for noise.. How much noise does running water cut out? Im banned from the lake till I run water..OT Headers OK.. but I need water...HELP!

BigBlockBaja
08-06-2005, 06:49 PM
And I just thought Id thow this one in.. Mid 60's at 4800 on the gps.. Not too bad for just throwing it together and dumping it in the water.

sidewound
08-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Water cuts about this much noise. <-----> :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

BigBlockBaja
08-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Water cuts about this much noise. <-----> :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR
The state police said it cuts out allot of noise.. your saying no?

moneysucker
08-07-2005, 07:41 AM
It does cut a little noise or at least reverberates it more to make it less abrasive to the ear. You are running baffles right? All the cops that I have dealt with said that water is not a baffling device so I run dry with baffles, I am illeagal either way. Good luck. Thy can't you just run a ball valve until you get the part from CP?
Cy

BigBlockBaja
08-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I would run one if I had one.. I went from logs to headers and have no hardware. Im going to run a line to the headers with a valve I can turn on when I hit the gas to let water in there. I do have baffles and I still rocked houses on the shore. 6 noise complaints....

Captain no fun
08-07-2005, 08:06 AM
The water seems to cut a lot of noise. I think it distorts the sound waves somewhat. At the upper end though, the water makes little difference. You'll love this one though, to cut down on noise when criusing around people, your exhaust is loud,hot, and dry, I hooked up a water pump to feed my headers on demand with a switch on the dash. Just tee in after the Bassett valve, the check valve won't let you back feed the engine, and you won't over power/ bypass the pump when you're on the throttle. You don't want any water going to your headers under 2000 RPM in the standard configuration. I'm runnumg a Crower solid roller,290-R, with 103 degrees LSA, it's choppy, with a lot of reversion, so I'll idle up to around 1500 or so, and turn on the pump. It keeps the headers cool and cuts on the noise. You have to pay attention though, with this set-up, cuz if you forget to turn off the pump, and go back to an idle, it snuffs the engine, and is HARD on your exhaust valves. (I've broken them off too) The pump is a Shurflo 18-243, flows 1GPM. This way my headers also benefit from not blueing. I run hard, and do a lot of idle also, and there's no blueing. I'm not saying run out and do this, cuz it's complicated, but it does work. Rex Marine has a new muffler set-up too, that may be worth investigating, if noise is your primary concern

malcolm
08-07-2005, 09:24 AM
I was running headers for a while. No baffles, just water. I could hear a major difference with the water on, but I still had to wear ear plugs. :D

BigBlockBaja
08-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I think im just going to plumb water to the headers and set the idle about 1200 to keep the water out. That should work, right? Im running a comp cams 280H magnum cam if that makes a difference about reversion

malcolm
08-07-2005, 10:37 AM
1200 isn't enough! I was turning my water on at 2000 and I still started milking my oil.

QuickJet
08-07-2005, 11:59 PM
I run my water to come on around 3,000 RPM. In doing so the water does nothing for noise at idle. While cruising though I do notice a big differance DB levels. I also have a shut off valve located under my seat that allows me to cut off all water to the headers. I only use that durring close races though. GPS prooved it was worth 1.5 MPH.