PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the lake,what is the mandatory things needed?

Punisher
08-06-2005, 11:44 PM
I was just wondering what the Coast Guard requires in CA in order for the boat to be legal on the lake...
Life jackets
oars
horn
fire extinguisher
Did i forget anything else?

BIGAMIST
08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
throw cushion

HOOTER SLED-
08-07-2005, 12:03 AM
A life jacket for EACH person in the boat.

JustMVG
08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Your Registration for the boat, i keep a laminated copy in my boat . if the CG auxiliary are out at the lake you're going to , take the time to have them give you the courtesy check they have you put a sticker on your boat and when you go to other lakes they tend to just let you launch with no hassles, that is if they are even checking.
Have fun

Mohavekid
08-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Don't forget flares. Make sure they are not "stale" dated.

Kachina26
08-07-2005, 06:33 AM
click here (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/4_2.htm) It's possible that where you are boating may require more, but I doubt it. CG is usually the tougher of any 2 standards. Make sure the equuipment actually works, because stuff happens. Ain't that right, Gary?

Boatcop
08-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Flares and other VDS (Visual Distress Signals) aren't required on inland waters. Only Coastal waters and inlets more than a mile wide, and the Great Lakes.

Kachina26
08-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I knew we'd get the real answer soon. :D

Punisher
08-07-2005, 07:20 AM
thanks everyone for the info...Hope everyone has a safe boating weekend

Mohavekid
08-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Flares and other VDS (Visual Distress Signals) aren't required on inland waters. Only Coastal waters and inlets more than a mile wide, and the Great Lakes.
BC do you know if the Sacramento River qualifies as above?
I couple of years ago, one of the Coast Guard guys doing the inspections on the ramp told me I needed the flares.

97SunsetterLX
08-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Checklist Item 16 feet & under 16-26 ft 26 ft and longer
Display of Bow Numbers Yes (1) Yes (1) Yes (1)
Display of Registration Decals Yes (1) Yes (1) Yes (1)
Registration Card Onboard Yes (1) Yes (1) Yes (1)
Fire Extinguisher Yes (2) Yes (2) Yes
Spare Propulsion Yes Yes for vessels under 21' recommended for others Recommended
Bailing Device Yes Yes Yes
Horn Strongly Recommended Yes Yes (3)
One PFD for Each Person Onboard Yes Yes Yes
Type IV PFD Strongly Recommended Yes Yes
Proper Navigation Lights Yes Yes Yes
Meets Noise/Muffler Requirements Yes Yes Yes
Adequate Ventilation Yes (4) Yes (4) Yes (4)
Approved Flame Arrestor Yes (5) Yes (5) Yes (5)
Capacity Plate Displayed Yes (6) Yes (6) for vessels under 20' manufacturer's option for others Manufacturer's Option
Hull Identification Number Yes Yes Yes
Liability Insurance Yes for PWC, recommended for others Strongly Recommended Strongly Recommended
(1) Non-Motorized vessels and sailboards are exempt from this requirement.
(2) Fire extinquishers are not required for outboard motorboats of open construction; however they are recommended for all motorboats
(3) Vessels 40 feet or longer must carry a bell in addition to a horn or whistle
(4) Required for motorboats not of open construction and carrying flammable or toxic fluids in an enclosed compartment.
(5) Required for inboard gasoline engines equipped with a carburetor.
(6) Vessels exempt from this requirement include: sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable vessels.
Additional Equipment You May Want to Carry Onboard Your Vessel:
Flashlight
First Aid Kit
Boarding Ladder
Tool Kit
Extra Rope
Anchor
Visual Distress Signals
Spare Spark Plugs
Spare Bilge Plugs
Spare Propellers
Copy of the Navigation Rules
Additional PFDs
Spare Bailing Bucket
VHF Marine Band Radio

Boatcop
08-07-2005, 10:02 AM
BC do you know if the Sacramento River qualifies as above?
I couple of years ago, one of the Coast Guard guys doing the inspections on the ramp told me I needed the flares.
Here's the Regulation for Distress Signals:
US Code Title 33
Sec. 175.105 Definitions.
(a) Visual distress signal means a device that is approved by the
Commandant under 46 CFR Part 160 or certified by the manufacturer under
46 CFR Parts 160 and 161.
(b) Coastal waters means:
(1) The U.S. waters of the Great Lakes (Lake Erie, Huron, Michigan,
Ontario, and Superior);
(2) The territorial seas of the United States; and
(3) Those waters directly connected to the Great Lakes and territorial seas (i.e., bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc.) where any entrance exceeds 2 nautical miles between opposite shorelines to the first point where the largest distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles, as shown on the current edition of the appropriate National Ocean Service chart used for navigation. Shorelines of islands or points of land present within a waterway are considered when determining the distance between opposite shorelines.
So unless the Sacramento River is more than 2 miles in width, all the way from where it empties into the Pacific Ocean, VDS would not be required. Even if the Sac River was more than 2 miles at its mouth, VDS would no longer be required beyond any point inland of an area where it reduces to 2 miles or less.

Rexone
08-07-2005, 12:18 PM
They sure work good for warning errant lake lice though. Nothing like a speeding Olin 12 ga over the bow to get even the most drunken clueless lice jockey's immediate attention regardless of language preference.

Liquid Courage
08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Cooler, Grey Goose, Redbull, a crap load of beer, stereo....you're good. :wink:

shueman
08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Me thinks the CG wants an OAR on board as well...might as well throw in some tow line, just in case.... :D

Desert Rat
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
BEER :D

River918
08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
A Stolen Credit Card To Pay For Gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punisher
08-09-2005, 12:27 AM
A Stolen Credit Card To Pay For Gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AINT THAT THE DAMN TRUTH!