PDA

View Full Version : too much oil??

GUGS102
08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I installed a hamburger 9qt pan + one for the filter PN # 1498 on my rebuilt 489 BBC and put in the corresponding 10 qts. Fired it up on the trailer, no leaks varied RPM no leaks, good to go, Right??
Got to the lake yesterday, within 45 minutes the inside of the bildge looked like the Alaskan coast after the valdez struck bottom, WTF?
I had my wife fire it up and run it as I watched for leaks, nothing.
Brought it home and fired it up on the trailer again, no leak. I then raised the front of the trailer so the bow was exceptionally high, trying to simulate getting on plane, still no leak.
I drained the oil to see how much I lost, I drained 6 qts and did not remove the filter, so the motor lost 3 qts. I've read threads about oil gremlins relating to level etc. I put 6 qts with full filter for a total of 7 and I'll give her a try in the morning.
Can the slosh and aeriation of the oil cause it to blow by a pan gasket or rear main at the right angle and RPM? The bell housing is wet with oil on the bottom, pan all the way around is dry except for back, valve covers are not leaking, intake is not leaking at front or back, fuel pump and plug for driver are not leaking. This is the only thing I can attribute it to. Nothing leaks at idle or RPM out of the water or putting around.
This sucks at the rate I lost it I'll make about 2 hours next week at CBBB and blow it up, brand new motor, don't want to do that.
Any help or similar experiences appreciated.
Signed,
Well lubed
A little lube is good, after that you'll have a rod slip and drive into something hard, no one wants to break their rod :o

DeputyDawg
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
It is my opinion that most people run too much oil with their aftermarket pans, and it can cause all kinds of oil problems and even rob noticable amounts of power( I have seen this on the dyno). Give it a try with seven quarts and see how it does. Are you running any kind of breathers in the valve covers or using a crankcase evacuation system? If you are seeing a lot of oil at the back bottom side of the bellhousing you may also have a rear main seal leaking.

MikeF
08-07-2005, 08:31 PM
I just went over this w/Cyclone today. :supp: :shift:
Now I'm not sure that this is your problem, but remove the dip stick tube and cut off about 2 inches off the bottom of the tube. (did this today on Mike's engine)
The tube is likely sticking down in the pan low enough to be "in" the oil. What happens is....the tube now acts like a straw and when crankcase pressure builds.....it goes out the straw and all over the place.
Just because it is a "10" quart oil pan does not mean that you need to put 10 quarts in. I have a 14 quart pan and only put in 8+1 in the filter.......that is all that it needs. Any more and it will be up in the crank and making nice bubbles in the oil.......not good! I suggest that you not fill it up so high.
Or your problem could be different. :clover:

'78Konajet
08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
This happened to me and i had forgotten to plug the lube hole right beneath the mechanical fuel pump block off plate. I think its a 3/8 in. plug

steelcomp
08-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Mike and DD are right about oil in the pan, and running a little less than what the pan requires, although I think I'd run more than 8 in a 14qt. pan. I usually put 10 in my 10qt pan, then let the filter fill up. Keeps about 9 in the pan. Some of the more expensive pans already take into consideration where the crank is, so it's not a problem. I'd thing Hamburger was one of those. Good pans.
To me, it sounds like you have a leaky pan seal at the back of the motor, or rear main. I mean, lets face it. Chevy's leak. They're like Harleys. If they aren't leaking, you're outa oil! :D I do everything I can to keep mine from leaking, but it still leaks a little. Mostly out of the dipstick tube, rear seal, and the POS Moroso "billet" remote oil adapter. :hammer2: If you have one of those, check it, too. I'm going to try a one piece oil pan gasket this time, and see what happens.
Hope you find the ptoblem. Nothing pisses me off more than a leaky motor.

Cas
08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I also had an issue with a new motor and the dipstick. I wanted to "hide" the dipstick a bit so I ran it relatively low to the front of the engine. When I did the break in, all was just fine. On the first outing, I noticed oil all over the place so I asked someone to drive the boat for me while I checked things out. As soon as it hit about 3500 rpms, the oil started flowing out. At 4000, it looked like Old Faithful spewing oil everywhere. After bending the dipstick tube up to a different and higher position, no more oil geyser.

GUGS102
08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the input, I put it off but knew the motor had to come back out, low and behold one of the bolts that holds the rear of the oil pan around the main cap was gone. I could see a gap in the gasket. Installed new bolt and double checked others. Hopefully this will cure the problem.
I had noticed that during the 10 miles to the lake it started to leak, this told me that it had nothing to do with windage, oil level or a leak at PSI.
Sometimes dumb things happen :mad:
I'm looking forward to CBBB and not to pollute the ramp with excess oil when I pull the drain plug.
Thanks again,

HBjet
08-10-2005, 12:24 AM
even rob noticable amounts of power( I have seen this on the dyno)
Seen it too!
I have a 12qt pan and I only run 10qts (9 + filter)
HBjet