PDA

View Full Version : This one is serious

Rattle Can Lou
05-05-2006, 05:57 AM
I cut the fenders and catwalks off of the trailer today. I got my new Stainless fenders in from Fenders and More. Great people to work with if your looking for fenders. Anyway, I want to mount them the way the cool guys do. No catwalks. Just fenders covering the tires. I would like some explanation or picture on how you mount them strong with no walking areas around the fenders. I hope you all have a great day....RCL

steve d
05-05-2006, 07:12 AM
RCL...Do you intend to weld or bolt? Did a lot of work in the bottling industry and noticed that sheet SS didn't do well subjected to a lot of chatter and harmonics. Whatever you decide--beef it up. I'll bet Prime Marine could make you some really cool gussets. :) ..Steve

GofastRacer
05-05-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm sure they're are different ways to do it, but the ones I've seen had 2x2 square tubing from the frame out to a flat steel plate!..

Rattle Can Lou
05-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Art, was that on the outside of the fender or the inside?

GofastRacer
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Art, was that on the outside of the fender or the inside?
The fender goes on the outside of the plate and the padding goes on the inside and are bolted all together, at least the one's I seen were that way!..

lucky
05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
lou , buddy ol pal -- I have thought about this very same subject in My many alcohol induced visionary bullshit sessions :)
I was thinking of using 1" reciever stock / both male and female - frenching the female part onto the back side of the trailer , and also a female welded onto a plate bolted to the bottom(between tires and fender) of the fenders on either end ! then use the male part with two pin recievers to slide threw both females and to be retained by pins " or a lock pin - then you could have removable fenders / a semi dolly trailer -- I like the way art suggested as you would not see the bolts on either end
I will have another bottle of Melot and think about this further - :)

markc
05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I cut the fenders and catwalks off of the trailer today. I got my new Stainless fenders in from Fenders and More. Great people to work with if your looking for fenders. Anyway, I want to mount them the way the cool guys do. No catwalks. Just fenders covering the tires. I would like some explanation or picture on how you mount them strong with no walking areas around the fenders. I hope you all have a great day....RCL
Were is fenders and more located? do you have a #
Thanks.. :)

lilrick
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
yah dammit!

Oldsquirt
05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
RCL, here's some pics that illustrate what GFR was describing. No idea who the trailer belongs to, but it was posted here a few years back.The "before" pic shows what the mounting plates look like. The "after" shots should give you an idea of how the plates were connected to the trailer, or in this case, to the angle that the springs mount on to.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3633TrailerDetail.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3633trailer3.jpg
http://hometown.aol.com/CTC100M/Trailer4.jpg

GofastRacer
05-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Yep that's it, and if you want the lowered look put the boat with the motor in it on the trailer, then lay a piece of 2x4 on the tires and set the fender down on it, drill your holes and bolt it on. The ones I've seen had lag bolts coming thru the plywood(for padding)thru the plate and fender bolting it all up together!

Boatmike
05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey, that was my trailer. My brother Shane has is now. I put alot of work into that thing. :D :D

Boatmike
05-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Here is one more pic from the side view.
I really did not lower the fenders on this one because of clearance problems with my driveway.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/753Picture_079-med.jpg

GofastRacer
05-06-2006, 05:50 AM
Looks good though!.. :cool:

BILLY.B
05-06-2006, 07:22 AM
What RCL isn't telling you guys is that he made his trailer into a single axle. He called me complaining that a tandem trailer fender was to much $$$$$$$$ so he'd go real old school with the single axle instead. This totally supports the theory that the air is a little thin up in potatoville. :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
05-06-2006, 07:52 AM
What RCL isn't telling you guys is that he made his trailer into a single axle. He called me complaining that a tandem trailer fender was to much $$$$$$$$ so he'd go real old school with the single axle instead. This totally supports the theory that the air is a little thin up in potatoville. :rolleyes:
That's funny!.. :D :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Pacoima
818-834-2525