PDA

View Full Version : Olds 455 heads

Flip
08-07-2005, 06:12 PM
After blowing up my Olds 350 for the second time, I was able to pick up a running 455 for $300 with KA heads. Just wondering what the "good" heads are supposed to be for this motor. What are the KAs rated at for horsepower? Anyone know of a good website for HP/torque specs on the 455?
Thanks

Sleek-Jet
08-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Ka's are good heads. I would stick with those, unless you want to go aluminum and then you can pick up a set of E-brocks.

Flip
08-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Sleek. While we're at it, the crank had a big N on it. Does that mean its nodular?

Sleek-Jet
08-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks Sleek. While we're at it, the crank had a big N on it. Does that mean its nodular?
Yep. As far as 455 cranks go, they are the best of the common peices. Every so often you can find a steel 455 crank but they a very rare.
Be sure to pay special attention to the oil control on the 455.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know about the crank, but you may be right.
Folks will be along soon to give a lot of olds reference sights. If the 455 is a car engine, and you plan to push it hard in a boat, be ready for some mods to it to make it survive extended RPM. Olds' will pump all the oil up intro the heads and drain back too slowly, then you rip the bottom out of it from starvation. I run a chevy so I have no 1st-hand expertise. Oil gallery restrictors, restricted pushrods, extra drain ports in the heads to the block, high-capacity pan. These are generally the main-considered mods I have seen.

Sleek-Jet
08-07-2005, 06:34 PM
The biggest problem with the Olds is that the oil drain back holes in the heads are tiny. The slickest sollution I have found is running external lines from the heads down to the lifter valley.
If you haven't already, pick up Mondelo's Olds manual. Lot's of good info in there. Do not however, buy any parts from them... $$$$$$$$.... :D