PDA

View Full Version : carb bowl corosion

1978 Rogers
08-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Must have/had water in my fuel. I have corosion in the bottoms of my bowls that keep the float valve open. So, I'm flooding. How do i get rid of the deposits? I tried carb cleaner and a wire brush, buy I still have white crap after the cleaner dries. I'll try and post some pictures in the morning.

disco_charger
08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Just had the same issue. Boat was starting hard, so I took the carb apart it was bad. I dipped mine in Berrymans 3x's and did a lot of scrubbing. It came out, but wasn't fun.

1978 Rogers
08-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Heres a shot of bowls and meter blocks. I used carb cleaner and a wire brush on the right bowl. But I can't get in the corners and tight spots. I can also see lots of pitting. Is that from casting or corrosion. Lots of corrosion sediments (white powder) in the bottom of my metering blocks.
If i got some part cleaner and submersed them for a while, would that disolve the white crap? Whats the best way to get any water out of my tanks, if its still there?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2160DSCF0033.JPG

steelcomp
08-08-2005, 09:41 AM
That's calcium, and pretty hard stuff. I haven't found anything yet that will get rid of it, BUT, if you scrape and brush and blow as well as possible to make sure there's no loose material that's going to flake off later, and it hasn't pitted through any of the passages, then it's mostly cosmetic, and really won't hurt anything. You're going to have to get in all the little nooks and crannies, though. One little piece of that stuff comes loose, and it'll plug a jet or another passage, and it'll cause you nightmares. Almost better to replace the carb, if you can afford it. That calcification can be in the bottom of your main wells, as well, plugging up the emulsion tubes, and if that's the case, there's nothing you can do about that. Yours don't look that bad, though, and should be all right with a good cleaning.
AF the water in your tanks, there's a lot of products on the market for peeps who live in winter areas that get lots of snow, but the easiest thing to do is obviously drain your tanks, and after refilling them, pour in some isopropal alcohol (or any other kind). Alcohol absorbs water, and will help carry it through your fuel system and the burn cycle.
Good luck.

1978 Rogers
08-08-2005, 10:06 AM
thanks for the advice. i need to get a little wirt bursh or wire pipe cleaner to get in the tight spots.

FASTRAT
08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Heres a shot of bowls and meter blocks. I used carb cleaner and a wire brush on the right bowl. But I can't get in the corners and tight spots. I can also see lots of pitting. Is that from casting or corrosion. Lots of corrosion sediments (white powder) in the bottom of my metering blocks.
If i got some part cleaner and submersed them for a while, would that disolve the white crap? Whats the best way to get any water out of my tanks, if its still there?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2160DSCF0033.JPG
i have had similar situations in the past...what i did was take the carbs completely all apart includeing the plastic whistles, floats etc and then soak them in Acetone for a few hours and it dissolved all the calcium etc n/p...after that soak in carb cleaner for a bit & rinse & blow dry...u must do this in a glass bowl or bottle cause Acetone will eat plastic etc (thats how i did it)...as far as the water in tanks goes...Alcohol is the best thing...just my .02 cents
fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
If that is actually calcium, Vinegar will disolve it all, and is a lot less nasty than acetone. Shouldn't harm the Zink bowls but just watch them to see. It won't be so agressive that it will do any quick harm. Vinegar is an acid that disolves calcium quite nicely. Use an old toothbrush too.

1978 Rogers
08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Thank you, I appreciate all the help.