PDA

View Full Version : need gm mechanic

slotracer
08-08-2005, 05:19 AM
i changed the fluid in my 2004 checy duramax with the allison trans. the service rep told me 10 qts. went in it. went to l.a. yesterday now there is fluid all over the underside. how many qts. does it take. thanks
pat(slotracer) :angry2:

GofastRacer
08-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Does the ten quarts include the converter or just the pan?????, not familiar with the Allison, but it seems like ten quarts is a bit much for the pan!.. :confused:

slotracer
08-08-2005, 05:46 AM
they said ten qts. with ext. filter. i did not think to ckeck as i was filling it up. never played with a allison before but it has a good size pan on it.
pat(slotracer) :messedup:

GofastRacer
08-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Well they may be right, check this out, some good info on the Allison!.
Alllison! (http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDemand?ApplicationID=155&DownloadID=5)

fleetimus
08-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Pat, Pat, Pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be a lot easier to let a lube shop do the servicing. It is guys like you that keep my lube shop in business. 7.4 qts. But, put five in and start checking the level.

northern baja
08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Pat, Pat, Pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be a lot easier to let a lube shop do the servicing. It is guys like you that keep my lube shop in business. 7.4 qts. But, put five in and start checking the level.
Yeah but us hard heads appreciate you humoring us anyway. If it weren't for the stories we supply what would have to laugh about!
:smile:
I apprecaite every expert on the board! Thanks!

IMPATIENT 1
08-09-2005, 03:12 PM
i'm a gm tech and i fill the filter up and put in 6qts. and go from there.sometimes it needs alittle more.a new gm serta allison takes 10 qts. when installing new.i only recommended to my customers to change it every 20k.most are farmers or pulling alot and the allison is touchy to friction material getting stuck in the valve body.highway use i tell them every 50k.your money!an allison is about 1/8 of what your vehicle cost.expensive but worth it. just depends on use and heat.

Jordy
08-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Just flush the system out and refill it with TranSynd (the Allison synthetic) and forget about it for the next 100,000 miles. :D

slotracer
08-09-2005, 07:41 PM
the bitch about it is i called the dealer and they told me 10 qts :cry: . i looked in the books that came with the truck and it said nothing about how much. when you call the dealer you would think they would know WHAT they are talking about. i now know how many to put in it.
pat(slotracer) :cool:

Jordy
08-09-2005, 08:29 PM
the bitch about it is i called the dealer and they told me 10 qts :cry:
Yeah, the GM dealers don't know alot about the workings of the Allison, but you figure they'd at least know that much. For a while the dealers around here were only allowed to R&R the tranny with a new one but were not allowed to touch the internals. Guess Allison wants that left to the professionals. ;) :D

slotracer
08-10-2005, 07:20 AM
you would think changing the fluid would be a no brainer :supp:
pat(slotracer) :hammer2:

Kachina26
08-10-2005, 08:09 AM
the bitch about it is i called the dealer and they told me 10 qts :cry: . i looked in the books that came with the truck and it said nothing about how much. when you call the dealer you would think they would know WHAT they are talking about. i now know how many to put in it.
pat(slotracer) :cool:
You spoke to a service "writer" most (I said most, Dan) have a room temperature IQ. :D

Wild Horses
08-10-2005, 10:49 AM
You spoke to a service "writer" most (I said most, Dan) have a room temperature IQ. :D
And that would be Celsius.

HOSS
08-10-2005, 11:13 AM
As an ex-service writer I just gotta ask, Why in the hell didn`t you check the fluid level? Seems like quite an oversight on operator error.

slotracer
08-10-2005, 11:34 AM
i did not check the level for the fact i called the DEALER and asked the SERVICE WRITER because when i called the parts counter to ask the parts guy they referred me to the service department. i changed it at 5 p.m. friday then went to l.a. at 4:30 a.m. staurday morning. as far as checking the level my mistake. :messedup:
pat(slotracer) :lightsabe

INEEDAV
08-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Just flush the system out and refill it with TranSynd (the Allison synthetic) and forget about it for the next 100,000 miles. :D
We use the overpriced Transynd in our small(35-70 ton) haul trucks. Good stuff.

Oldsquirt
08-10-2005, 02:12 PM
i did not check the level for the fact i called the DEALER and asked the SERVICE WRITER because when i called the parts counter to ask the parts guy they referred me to the service department. i changed it at 5 p.m. friday then went to l.a. at 4:30 a.m. staurday morning. as far as checking the level my mistake. :messedup:
pat(slotracer) :lightsabe
Pat the only people at a service facility that are likely to know technical informaton are the TECHNICIANS. Service writers are, for the most part, just sales people. They don't know that kind of stuff.
Never fill any trans all the way without checking the level when you are part way to what you THINK is full.

Jordy
08-10-2005, 03:17 PM
We use the overpriced Transynd in our small(35-70 ton) haul trucks. Good stuff.
Overpriced? Figure out how much it would cost you to service the tranny at regular intervals then figure out how much you're saving running at Tran Synd intervals. Funny thing, the Allison 1000 in the GM trucks would have had almost double the warranty if they were run full of 100% Tran Synd, versus the about 25% that GM runs them from the truck factory. ;) :D
It's great stuff, but that's just IMHO. :D

slotracer
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
craig the service writer asked the service tech how much and they told me what they said. i went to the dealer and picked my truck up today. i had them change my internal filter and refill the trans. there is a dealer only recall to reset the shift points in the tranny anyway and the only way i found out about it is by bringing it in. now that they have reset the shift points and changed the internal filter it's like a new trans again. but i would like to know more about the syn. fluid for it. its a 2004 and i all ready have 81,000 on it. :D
pat(slotracer) :messedup:

Jordy
08-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Here is some info on TranSynd:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=4