PDA

View Full Version : Reverse cable question

Danhercules
08-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I took out my broken reverse cable. Its 12 ft. Now my questions, how long should the new one be?
I added a diverted a while back, and the cable was kinda tight. It kinked when the diverter was down. I have plans to add a droop or a snoot real soon.
Do I get a 13,14, or even bigger cable?
What ya think?

flat broke
08-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Dan,
Since you have a 12'er, route it back in the way it was but don't hook it up to your shifter. Now put a nice bend in it so that it is never kinked when the diverter moves. Measure the distance between the cable end and your shift lever arm, and that is how much more cable you need. If it falls in between a number (i.e. it measures 13.75") just order the 14'er.
Hope that helps,
Chris

SmokinLowriderSS
08-08-2005, 02:59 PM
I would advise what FlatBroke advised, but he did it first. :wink:

78Southwind
08-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Dan just make sure you do the measuring before you do the beer drinking. :D

DeputyDawg
08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a good used Morse red jacket 43BC forward/reverse cable for cheap if you need to go that route. It is 14ft.

Danhercules
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Dan,
Since you have a 12'er, route it back in the way it was but don't hook it up to your shifter. Now put a nice bend in it so that it is never kinked when the diverter moves. Measure the distance between the cable end and your shift lever arm, and that is how much more cable you need. If it falls in between a number (i.e. it measures 13.75") just order the 14'er.
Hope that helps,
Chris
I can figure out the length for it now, but my question is, how much longer do I make it for a droop or a snoot. I would had to put in a new cable and in 2 months is too short cause of the droop/snoot.

Oldsquirt
08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Droop is less than a foot long so adding a foot to what you have now should do it.

CMZRACING
08-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Adding My Diverter After The Droop Only Added About A Foot To My Total Cable Length. If You Go A Little Bigger Now You Could Always Route The Cable A Different Way So When The Snoot Comes In, You Just Re Run The Cable The Way You Had It Before. Just A Thought.

flat broke
08-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Sorry Dan,
Didn't catch the "adding a droop soon" part. I would say that the 1' extra recommended should be enough as long as things weren't tight to begin with. So when you mock stuff up, make sure you have a real gentle arc on the cable comming out of the boat and to the pump, so that if you need just a touch more than a foot, you've got a tad of "built in" insurance in your orriginal measurement before you added the foot.
You still commin down to Hackers one night this week? If so, I'll see ya then.
Chris

ShutYaPieHole
08-09-2005, 07:51 AM
A wise old man once told me to have your reverse cable 4ft shorter than your boat.