PDA

View Full Version : Trim Troubles....

DUSTINU
08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
My "up" trim went out Saturday, the down works fine. There is no noise (effort) from the motor so I think the fluid level is OK, I think (thanks to Summit Carl) that the silonoid went out...Does this sound right to all you, has anyone ever swaped one out???
Thanks,
Dustin

Tom Brown
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
If it doesn't click when you press the button, it's probably the solenoid. You can test it with a volt meter.

hoffman
08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
the trim switch button might have went out or a wire got disconnected. I wouldnt think your silinode went out. what kind of trim button do you have?
Easy way to test a silinode arce across it with a screw driver. That will tell you if it works.

DUSTINU
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks Tom, that's what I was thinking. No click what so ever. So If I manually released the motors trim (keep your mind outta the gutter Tom :) )
so I could tow it home, when I swap out the solenoid do I need to reset the trim limitations??

DUSTINU
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
the trim switch button might have went out or a wire got disconnected. I wouldnt think your silinode went out. what kind of trim button do you have?
Easy way to test a silinode arce across it with a screw driver. That will tell you if it works.
That crossed my mind as well, but I have a button on the wheel and the motor. Both of the buttons work to trim the motor down and nothing (no click) when I try to trim up. I left the sand bar... worked fine and pull up to the lower sand bar... nada.
Thanks, I will test it before I replace it.

hoffman
08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I would check the button, if the button went out it wont make the click. No power.

hoffman
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
did you check your wires? I dont know what your motor is but mercs are blue and green. if the up came un done it will do the same.
just tryn to help ya out

DUSTINU
08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Will do... thanks.
Looks like I'll be back in Havi sooner than expected... to work :crossx:

Tom Brown
08-09-2005, 02:03 PM
That crossed my mind as well, but I have a button on the wheel and the motor. Both of the buttons work to trim the motor down and nothing (no click) when I try to trim up.
I've had two solenoids go in the last couple of years (on two different boats). In both cases, I replaced them with a similar part from a heavy truck dealer. I think they cost me less than 20 bucks CDN each and work perfectly.
I didn't even price the Mercury replacements but I would imagine they could make it into the three digits. :D

Jetboatguru
08-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Dustinu,
I had this problem to the T two days ago. I went to leave Ski beach and my down trim on the left motor wouldnt function. I had taken off the cowling at the beach and it disconnected a wire. Check that first. Goodluck.
Tony

Kim Hanson
08-09-2005, 03:22 PM
My "up" trim went out Saturday, the down works fine. There is no noise (effort) from the motor so I think the fluid level is OK, I think (thanks to Summit Carl) that the silonoid went out...Does this sound right to all you, has anyone ever swaped one out???
Thanks,
Dustin
My up trim wouldn't work couple weeks ago, lifted the engine using the manual release and lifted it up and filled it right up and moved it up and down a few time and it has to be totally up to check fluids in the trim and it works great now..it's fluid I think.........( . )( . ).......... :notam:
Jack plate on mine have the seilonids on it and they click when the lifting engine is toast.... :idea: I don't know much, breaking them yes.... :p

Jetboatguru
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey Forrest Gump, he said he is not getting a clicking noise from the solenoids. :rollside: :rollside:
Sorry Kim just razzing ya.

Jordy
08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey Forrest Gump
Why you gotta be baggin' on Forrest like that Guru??? :D :D :D

Kim Hanson
08-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey Forrest Gump, he said he is not getting a clicking noise from the solenoids. :rollside: :rollside:
Sorry Kim just razzing ya.
Its hydraulic Guru, its a pump...How is this then Guru, if the down works great..how the fock did it go up then? :notam: ........( . )( . )........ :D

Kim Hanson
08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Why you gotta be baggin' on Forrest like that Guru??? :D :D :D
He owns a whacker, 2 smokers on one boat :cool: ........( . )( . )....... :D

Jordy
08-10-2005, 04:26 PM
He owns a whacker, 2 smokers on one boat :cool: ........( . )( . )....... :D
What's wrong with that? :hammerhea

Kim Hanson
08-10-2005, 04:42 PM
What's wrong with that? :hammerhea
The way you are Jordish, you need to bag on him twice as bad...na lets pick on Kimmy :D :D ........( . )( . )......

Jordy
08-10-2005, 04:53 PM
The way you are Jordish, you need to bag on him twice as bad...na lets pick on Kimmy :D :D ........( . )( . )......
Hey Miss Kimmy, I have two whackas on one boat too. Obviously you missed the point. Then again, I'm guessing when you saw a topic about "Trim Troubles" you thought it related to the problems you have getting laid. ;) :D

Kim Hanson
08-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Miss Kimmy, I have two whackas on one boat too. Obviously you missed the point. Then again, I'm guessing when you saw a topic about "Trim Troubles" you thought it related to the problems you have getting laid. ;) :D
Whacky Jordish, way tooooooo funny :sqeyes: Getting laid, shit im married Jordy...get it all the time.........( . )( . )....... :p

Jordy
08-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Getting laid, shit im married Jordy...get it all the time.........( . )( . )....... :p
Now we know you're lying. ;) :D

Kim Hanson
08-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Now we know you're lying. ;) :D
I never tell a not truth :D ever!.........( . )( . )....... :p

DUSTINU
08-23-2005, 12:43 PM
OK- I went by John's Custom Marine and it looks like it's gonna be an easy fix.
They think it was just the relay, a $15 fix... thats what I talkin about. I won't be back out for a few weeks, but it makes sense now that I know about the relays. Thanks for the input guys.
As far as having the TRIM trouble that Kim and Jordy are refering to.... What Trim??? I keep her smooth and silky! :D

Kim Hanson
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
OK- I went by John's Custom Marine and it looks like it's gonna be an easy fix.
They think it was just the relay, a $15 fix... thats what I talkin about. I won't be back out for a few weeks, but it makes sense now that I know about the relays. Thanks for the input guys.
As far as having the TRIM trouble that Kim and Jordy are refering to.... What Trim??? I keep her smooth and silky! :D
I just put her to the floor and let her buck, fock the trim :D :D Maybe I tap it a couple times :crossx: .......( . )( . ).........