PDA

View Full Version : gasket sealer

moomba
04-19-2001, 03:44 AM
I put a new thermostat in my pcm ford last winter and started it up for the first time for the year. I noticed some water dripping from the thermostat housing. I tried to tighten the bolts more, but they are as tight as they get. Do i need some kind of atv sealer on the gasket? I also put a new gasket on one of the exhaust manifold riser and now i am wondering if i have water leaking into my exhaust???? Sealer also??

B-rad502
04-22-2001, 08:13 PM
Just did the thermostatb on my 502 mag and used the high-temp permatex stuff (orange color). Also used it on the riser gaskets for my headers. A few small leaks on the first day, but all gone now after I went around and did some slight tightening. Good luck!

timitunnel
04-26-2001, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by moomba:
I put a new thermostat in my pcm ford last winter and started it up for the first time for the year. I noticed some water dripping from the thermostat housing. I tried to tighten the bolts more, but they are as tight as they get. Do i need some kind of atv sealer on the gasket? I also put a new gasket on one of the exhaust manifold riser and now i am wondering if i have water leaking into my exhaust???? Sealer also??
If you clean both surfaces really well you
should just use a gasket and hi tack. You can get both at a good parts house.atv should be used sparingly in vary few places on a motor.

moomba
04-27-2001, 08:57 AM
I just took it apart again and cleaned the surfaces really good. There was still some old gasket on the surfaces. Amazing what these small pieces of gasket materials do to create leaks. It is now very clean, and it does not leak at all. By the way, i did not use any sealer. Thanks