PDA

View Full Version : Life expectancy of a HP 575 SCi

Liquid Muscle
12-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Looking for some help. I'm looking at buying a 2001 Eliminator Daytona 26' with a HP 575 SCi. It has 100 hours on it, and is in great condition and is very well taken care of mechanicaly. It is also out of warranty. What kind of life expectancy would you look for out of this motor? Obviously, I would continue to take excellent care of it through regular service. Also is there any kind of major service, repairs or other things that I should be prepared for or look out for. This will be my 2nd boat, but first custom. Thanks for the help!

sea buddy
12-05-2002, 06:42 PM
I think that it would be very hard to forcast the average life. So many will be abused or used at top rpm and power which will take some life out of them versas someone who will "grandma" it.
A wild guess, based on other engines of lower power levels, over 50 and less than 600 hours.
I do not know if this helps much.
Close together Oil changes in higher rpm, higher Hp motors is very important.

Jbb
12-05-2002, 08:08 PM
My Brother in law has 2 in a 35 Fountain Poker runner that he beats the snot out of !!!
175 trouble free hours so far!!!

NashvilleBound
12-06-2002, 06:24 AM
I was told when I bought my HP that I should see about 1000 hours. That was from Merc. Gary at GT says more like @800, depending of course how you treat it. I put 110 hours on mine the first year, and sadly, only about 20 this year. Tho I did add a Whipple to it. So next season we should be back at 100+. If I was going to do it over...I would have Gary build me a quad rotor power plant and save the money from the Merc name. Just my two cents.... NB

paradigm shift
12-07-2002, 06:36 PM
100 hrs is not that much. If it was not ran WOT all the time and serviced it should last quite a while. Valve springs and lifters are usually the first thing to go. Just my 02.

Liquid Muscle
12-09-2002, 09:55 PM
I figured the basic engine was bullet proof, but wasn't sure how having the blower on effected its durability or might be a high maintance item. Thanks for you help on this guys.