PDA

View Full Version : engine mounting

19'f.t.m.
08-09-2005, 11:39 PM
i am gettting ready to mount my engine and i was wondering how much angle is allowed on the driveshaft. i was wondering because i am using a four point mount(front plate and bellhousing) and the rear bell housing is all the way down on the pump. should i trim the bellhousing a little on the botom so it levels out the driveshaft or leave it alone and have a slight angle..... :hammerhea

19'f.t.m.
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
anyone have an answer for me i would appreciate it

BrendellaJet
08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Slight angle/ a few degrees.... No angle will cause U-Joint bearing failure.
Thats actually debateable, Ill leave it to others to talk about though. Many have run their setups with perfect alignment and had no problems...
19-can you slide the motor forward at all? Is this a new installation?

BUSBY
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
hardline from lenco is cheap ... and will never have failure ... and can take out to run boat on trailer ... but engine has to be true to pump ...
my .02

b's sanger
08-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Mine is only off by 1 or 2 degrees, works fine.

19'f.t.m.
08-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Thats actually debateable, Ill leave it to others to talk about though. Many have run their setups with perfect alignment and had no problems...
19-can you slide the motor forward at all? Is this a new installation?
yes the engine has never been mounted to this hull

Mighty Thor
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
It is universally accepted by driveshaft manufacturers that you should have a slight angle to make sure that the needle bearings roll inside the crosses for thier full circumfrance rather than just 1/2 or so. The bearings will last longer if they wear evenly all the way around.

BrendellaJet
08-10-2005, 10:01 PM
yes the engine has never been mounted to this hull
Have those motor mounts been used and are you using the same location as previous? Obviously you dont want the bell housing to touch the pump, need to move it some how. Either you cut the bell housing which should be okay depending on how much, or move the motor forward. Can you post pics?

LakesOnly
08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I think it's a good idea to have a slight angle so that the U-joints can articulate and roll the needle bearings around. If you don't have the articulation, the needle rollers in the U-jounts may stay where they are and just go flat...and eventually fail.
LO

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Have those motor mounts been used and are you using the same location as previous? Obviously you dont want the bell housing to touch the pump, need to move it some how. Either you cut the bell housing which should be okay depending on how much, or move the motor forward. Can you post pics?
I agree with brendella. I had to do some serious grinding on my rear plate and feet to get mine to sit low enough so my driveline would be straight. You want the crankshaft paralell to the pumpshaft. Like brendella said, post some pics and we can walk you through it. Mine was a bit*h but I got in in there;)

NELSON#109
08-10-2005, 11:18 PM
i always run mine true and straight. im harder on boats than most, and run them hard.... i've never had any failures. i've heard the arguement for u-joint failure, but on the flip side theres also pump failure from running them at an angel... but, i know other people, whom i have a lot of respect for ( cs19 ) who run there boats harder than most, and run angeled drive lines without ant problems. i like things straight, & i have a linco drive line now so i have to. i think you will be ok any way you do it. read all the arguements, and do what makes sense to you. NELSON#109.

19'f.t.m.
08-11-2005, 08:16 AM
im going to pick up a digital camera today ill try and see if i can if not my friend gets backfrom shasta today and ill see if he can. the bellhousing would only have to be trimmed a little along the bottom to clear and i was worried about moving it forward and not having the yoke far enough onto the pump shaft.

19'f.t.m.
08-11-2005, 08:19 AM
thanks for all the info i love this site.

h2ojet001
08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
I used/rented a jig from a boat shop. You attach your bell housing and rear motor mounts to the jig and the front motor mounts to the jig then slide the shaft on the rear into your pump then mark the holes on the stringer and drill. By using this jig you can see the space between the bellhousing and pump and whats more critical is the oil pan hitting the bolts sticking up from the intake housing. When I installed the engine it went in with no problems and all the clearances were perfect and it puts the engine at about a 2* angle. Best tool rental I ever made.
Barry

19'f.t.m.
08-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I used/rented a jig from a boat shop. You attach your bell housing and rear motor mounts to the jig and the front motor mounts to the jig then slide the shaft on the rear into your pump then mark the holes on the stringer and drill. By using this jig you can see the space between the bellhousing and pump and whats more critical is the oil pan hitting the bolts sticking up from the intake housing. When I installed the engine it went in with no problems and all the clearances were perfect and it puts the engine at about a 2* angle. Best tool rental I ever made.
Barry
that sounds perfect, where did you rent the tool from because your not to far from me .

76elimspecial
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Just Had Help Putting My Motor And Pump Back In From A Long Time And Well Respected Jet Boat Expert. I'm Pretty Sure That He Said No More Than A 4* Angle On The Driveline.

Rexone
08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Several threads on driveline angle... I'm sure there are more...
Driveline angle 1 (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2840)
Driveline angle 2 (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18374)
Driveline angle 3 (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55577)

hondajoey
08-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Just another thought, fill up any old holes that you are not uesing so water does not get into your stringers and start rotting them