PDA

View Full Version : $ 6000 scam

reb939
08-10-2005, 06:20 AM
I have my boat in HB classified, I get a response the other day if the boat is still avalible & bottom line price. I e-mail back. then he want's pic to final the deal. I did not send pics yet & then get this e-mail (see below). He wants to give me a check for the boat sight unseen. Agreed price is 31k he hands over a check for 37k and then I give him 6k back in change. I SMELL A RAT.
I have finalized issues with
my client this morning. He has just informed me that
he is expecting a refund payment, of a boat that he
had earlier ordered and paid for before, but the order
was later cancelled, because when the agent who went
for the pick up of the boat, inspected the boat,
he discovered that boat was not in any good
condition, so he cancelled the order and he then filed
in for a refund of his money. My client intends use
this his refund to pay for this your boat that he
has now ordered for. And due to company policy and
book keeping, this refund payment which he is
expecting, can only be made out in this one whole
amount, that is, the full amount that he paid before
because the company policy only allows a refund
payment in one cashier check, so he has to instruct
for the check payment to be drawn to you. So he has
informed me that payment will get to you in a cashier
c! heck. He is expecting a refund payment of 37,000 When payment
gets to you, you are required to deduct the cost of
your boat which is 31,000 and return his remaining
balance of 6,000 back to my customer for him to be able to
offset shipping charges and other commisson charges.
After all payment has reached you and balance sent
back to my client,the agent will come for pick up,
while you send other the reciept and other title
papers to my client via courier. You are required to
forward your payment information (1) name, (2)address
and (3) phone number for payment to be delivered to
you immediately.
Thanks.

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 06:22 AM
That is the norweigan scam.
NO, DO NOT DO IT.
My friend got pulled into this, and took the check to the bank, froze all their accounts. It is considered fraud.
:220v: :cry:

Tequila-John
08-10-2005, 06:24 AM
I have my boat in HB classified, I get a response the other day if the boat is still avalible & bottom line price. I e-mail back. then he want's pic to final the deal. I did not send pics yet & then get this e-mail (see below). He wants to give me a check for the boat sight unseen. Agreed price is 31k he hands over a check for 37k and then I give him 6k back in change. I SMELL A RAT.
I have finalized issues with
my client this morning. He has just informed me that
he is expecting a refund payment, of a boat that he
had earlier ordered and paid for before, but the order
was later cancelled, because when the agent who went
for the pick up of the boat, inspected the boat,
he discovered that boat was not in any good
condition, so he cancelled the order and he then filed
in for a refund of his money. My client intends use
this his refund to pay for this your boat that he
has now ordered for. And due to company policy and
book keeping, this refund payment which he is
expecting, can only be made out in this one whole
amount, that is, the full amount that he paid before
because the company policy only allows a refund
payment in one cashier check, so he has to instruct
for the check payment to be drawn to you. So he has
informed me that payment will get to you in a cashier
c! heck. He is expecting a refund payment of 37,000 When payment
gets to you, you are required to deduct the cost of
your boat which is 31,000 and return his remaining
balance of 6,000 back to my customer for him to be able to
offset shipping charges and other commisson charges.
After all payment has reached you and balance sent
back to my client,the agent will come for pick up,
while you send other the reciept and other title
papers to my client via courier. You are required to
forward your payment information (1) name, (2)address
and (3) phone number for payment to be delivered to
you immediately.
Thanks.
I would report him to the police right away. We know he didn't do anything to you but he might have pulled this spam with 100's of other people. Do your good deed man!!! :)

burtandnancy
08-10-2005, 06:25 AM
This scam shows up almost every month

reb939
08-10-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks
BTW my wife is norweigan, I'll be sleeping with one eye open

HOSS
08-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks
lmao :D

maxwedge
08-10-2005, 06:29 AM
People have been running this scam on ebay for quite a while. The check won't be any good and you are out all that money. Lots of people have lost big money. You should report him to the cops. There is no reasonable accounting practice that would make such a transaction necassary.

reb939
08-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Been down the "report it to the cops" road several times. no one seems to care. it's like your crying wolf. The only time they do anything is when your speeding!

2Driver
08-10-2005, 06:37 AM
THIS IS A KNOWN SCAM> CALL THE COPS. HE will pass you a fake Check take your boat and you will be out of a boat and cash.

MagicMtnDan
08-10-2005, 06:45 AM
The only good thing that comes from stuff like this is that there's always someone who didn't realize THIS IS A SCAM. It's done all the time on big ticket items like cars, trucks, boats, even jewelry, etc.
If it sounds too good to be true or too stupid (who buys any vehicle sight unseen?!) then it probably is. :jawdrop:

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey Was Goin On 939. Yeah That Sounds A Little Fishy To Me. I Would Stay Away From That Guy. Which Boat Are You Selling?

reb939
08-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Hey Was Goin On 939. Yeah That Sounds A Little Fishy To Me. I Would Stay Away From That Guy. Which Boat Are You Selling?
Ya too good to be true like MM Dan stated. The Lavey Craft is the boat that's for sale. Still avalible BTW and now everyone knows I'll take 31k for her.

ShutYaPieHole
08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
What The Hell All That To Buy Boat!!!!!!!!!!!!...........Tell Him To Shut His Pie Hole

reb939
08-10-2005, 07:02 AM
This scam is so old that I am amazed that so many people have still not heard of it, especially on the internet.
In 2002, I got contacted by some dude in Africa...thought I was going to sell my v-drive to a prop-shaft chucker. I just kept insisting on wire transfer and he never called back. Look for NtwoTrance here on the boards....he can point you in the direction of the authorities who would be interested.
Thanks Holy Moly

dirty old man
08-10-2005, 07:14 AM
The only scam older is the one from Nigeria, they want to share $30,000,000 with you if you give them your bank account number

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 07:16 AM
The only scam older is the one from Nigeria, they want to share $30,000,000 with you if you give them your bank account number
Dang never heard of this one. :mad:
Wow
Where do you go to check into all scams out there? Anyone know?

reb939
08-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Wow
HB Forums looks like a good place to start

ratso
08-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks
It's a good idea to sleep with one eye open when you're in bed with ANY woman!!!!!!! :D

reb939
08-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Have not eat'n at Rockin' Tacos in Canyon Lake, but Julio's Rockin Baja Grill in Parker, AZ makes a mean fish taco.

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 07:33 AM
HB Forums looks like a good place to start
I have picked up on that, but I know someone on here mention before a website to find out about these scams and I cannot find it.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 07:38 AM
I'll give you $31K today for the Cyclone if you can't sell that Lavey of yours. :D :D :D
The Lavey is such a clean boat - it'll go soon! Have you thought of posting up a Spam ad for it here on the Sandbar?

reb939
08-10-2005, 07:49 AM
I'll give you $31K today for the Cyclone if you can't sell that Lavey of yours. :D :D :D
The Lavey is such a clean boat - it'll go soon! Have you thought of posting up a Spam ad for it here on the Sandbar?
Buy your own Cyclone
I'm not here to sell the boat this is a public awarness thread.
pm me if you want details on the Lavey

H20Advantage
08-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Actually this is consider a Nigerian Scam and has been around for awhile. I have seen many people taken for cars, piano's, cash, ect from these same scams.
Local law enforcement does not generally handle these since they have international ties. This is investigated by the Secret Service. If you want to report this and have not had a loss there is a web address you can send the info to. When I get back to the office on Wednesday I'll post the site. If you have suffered a financial loss then contact your local secret service office.
The money and the goods are generally used to fund our not so friendly friends the terrorists.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Buy your own Cyclone
I'm not here to sell the boat this is a public awarness thread.
Prolly right. I think you need a college degree anyway to get all that canvas on/off. I heard yours chine walks real bad anyways from a Schiada guy :D :D :D
pm me if you want details on the Lavey
No pics, no joy. Maybe you ought to put up just one pic of the Lavey?

reb939
08-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Actually this is consider a Nigerian Scam and has been around for awhile. I have seen many people taken for cars, piano's, cash, ect from these same scams.
Local law enforcement does not generally handle these since they have international ties. This is investigated by the Secret Service. If you want to report this and have not had a loss there is a web address you can send the info to. When I get back to the office on Wednesday I'll post the site. If you have suffered a financial loss then contact your local secret service office.
The money and the goods are generally used to fund our not so friendly friends the terrorists.
Thanks Advantage. No money or property lost. My last e-mail to the buyer stated. "Cash your check & give me greenbacks"
I look forward to your posting of the Secret Service website to report this BS

H20Advantage
08-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks Advantage. No money or property lost. My last e-mail to the buyer stated. "Chash your check & give me greenbacks"
I look forward to your posting of the Secret Service website to report this BS
This is one of the most frustrating things for a victim who has suffered a loss. The locals don't have access to out of country scammers and the feds only deal with huge financial losses. These guys continue to change their IP addresses and stay anonymous.
I just had a poor girl who was in need of cash fast sell her car and got caught up in this scam. She ended up sending the cash back to the crooks and is now responsible for the loss to the bank since the cashiers check is a fraud.
They also keep contacting her now and want the car sent also. They can be aggrerssive with their stream of emails but trying to track them is almost impossible with internet cafe's, ID theft, ect. A lot of smoke and mirrors on their part.

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 08:15 AM
This is one of the most frustrating things for a victim who has suffered a loss. The locals don't have access to out of country scammers and the feds only deal with huge financial losses. These guys continue to change their IP addresses and stay anonymous.
I just had a poor girl who was in need of cash fast sell her car and got caught up in this scam. She ended up sending the cash back to the crooks and is now responsible for the loss to the bank since the cashiers check is a fraud.
They also keep contacting her now and want the car sent also. They can be aggrerssive with their stream of emails but trying to track them is almost impossible with internet cafe's, ID theft, ect. A lot of smoke and mirrors on their part.
Damn my girlfriend got had by this scam. They froze up her bank account and is pending investigation.
I have copied this message and sent it to her, I will see if anything has changed for her yet.
These things get you good if your not careful. :cry:
Damn Assholes! :devil:

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:18 AM
So Is Mickey D2 Going To Be The New Ski Race Boat? Double Up Here We Go. Haha

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 08:25 AM
What's up BM? I think REB might need a partner to keep him above 38 or so average! :D

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Hahaha That's Funny. Doing The Parker Race We Can Do The Double Up It Is Only 3 Laps, Instead Of The 1 Hour Plus A Lap In The Mens Race. Oh Wait What Did I Hear About You Were Going To Start Doing The Mini's Anyway Cause You Were Going To Swicth To A Different Age Class.

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Oops Did I Say That Out Loud.

reb939
08-10-2005, 08:38 AM
What's up BM? I think REB might need a partner to keep him above 38 or so average! :D
We have a national crisis on our hands here at HB we need to solve and all you guys can think about is ski racing. See that's what happens when you hit the water too hard too many tumes. Thi fisrt theng ta go is the brains funtion thet contrals spelllling

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Lmao, That's Funny Right There. Well I Think Us Ski Racer's Are A Little Messed Up In The Head In The First Place And Then Smacking The Water At 60 Or So Few To Many Times These Thing Happen. Hey 939 Remember My First 2 Years In Catalina? That Right There Is Proof Of My Mental State Of Mind.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
We have a national crisis on our hands here at HB we need to solve and all you guys can think about is ski racing. See that's what happens when you hit the water too hard too many tumes. Thi fisrt theng ta go is the brains funtion thet contrals spelllling
Not all of us are Movie Stars...
:D :D :D
Whatcha' gonna do with that old AUS plat from your boat trailer?

reb939
08-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Ok so I've hit the water hard a few too many times. and I can't remember some of my catalina runs and surley can't remember yours. But I know I'm not handing over 6k to anyone over the internet

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Falling off the dock doesn't apply here REB! :D

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Remember We Had That 19' Hallett Sport Skier When We First Started Out. Yup 2 Years In A Row. What A Moron.

reb939
08-10-2005, 08:56 AM
:cry: Falling off the dock doesn't apply here REB! :D
Some of those dock falls can sting :cry:

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Kid, Sounds Like There Is A Story Behind Your Last Post. Enquireing Minds Want To Know.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Just giving REB some grief. We both know he's a klutz. He's headed out to Parker this weekend and we aren't so I'm just a bit bitter I think.... :messedup:

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey Kid, Sounds Like There Is A Story Behind Your Last Post. Enquireing Minds Want To Know.
No story just trying to humor Riverkid

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
So How Is The Knee? Did The Doc Give You The Ok Yet?

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Whatcha' gonna do with that old AUS plat from your boat trailer?
Throw darts at it :lightsabe

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
So How Is The Knee? Did The Doc Give You The Ok Yet?
Yes, i'm sking this weekend 1st time after surgery at Parker and then next week in Elsinore. Then racing next weekend at Clearlake!

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Just giving REB some grief. We both know he's a klutz. He's headed out to Parker this weekend and we aren't so I'm just a bit bitter I think.... :messedup:
Cheer up Riverkid. someday your wife will let you go to the River

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 09:10 AM
That's Really Good To Hear. Hope Every Thing Goes Ok.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Cheer up Riverkid. someday your wife will let you go to the River
The REAL reason we can't go is I can't afford those shopping sprees over at The Beach that your wife arranges... Besides, what do we want to do with two of us and six females?... :hammer2:

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I Feel For You Kid. Went To Blyte This Weekend With Another Family. 7 Total Only 2 Guys. Sheesh.

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:23 AM
out-voted, out-gunned & out-witted

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 09:25 AM
out-voted, out-gunned & out-witted
This is a daily occurence for you REB, as we all know. I suggest you just accept it and move on... :D :D :D
Or were you looking for some job walks, say late Friday afternoon in Diego? :jawdrop:

Nord
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Dude, I have my room for rent in my house on roomates.com and almost every one who replied did the same thing!!!

reb939
08-10-2005, 09:30 AM
This is a daily occurence for you REB, as we all know. I suggest you just accept it and move on... :D :D :D
Or were you looking for some job walks, say late Friday afternoon in Diego? :jawdrop:
Friday, let's look at the appointment book...........here we are.....Friday: sking, pulling skiers, hangin at Sandbar, smokin cigars, drinkin a beer.
NO can do on that jobwalk I'm booked

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Friday, let's look at the appointment book...........here we are.....Friday: sking, pulling skiers, hangin at Sandbar, smokin cigars, drinkin a beer.
NO can do on that jobwalk I'm booked
You got me there. You suck! :( I'll have the boys keep an eye out for you. Thralls isn't going so I'm sure you won't get picked on/beat up/humiliated again. :D

BROADMINDED
08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Uuhh Oooh Here We Go.

Riverkid
08-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Just the twin Cyclone (Mickey-D2) and the 939 Lavey. I think the Schiada was a friends as REB was observing on their last ski ride out. I noticed your ride a few doors down the last time we were over there at REB's. Being the troublemaker that I am, I have this noted for future action items :D

BajaMike
08-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Wow
Maybe someone mentioned these already...good places to check out Internet fraud and urban legends....
Urban Legends (http://urbanlegends.about.com/)
And....
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/)
:2purples:

reb939
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey, Mickey D lives like 3 houses away from me. He had a bad ass twin turbo Schiada at his house not too long ago - not too bad for a girly man set-up.
:D
Holy:
I think your talkin about the previous owner of Mickey D. I bought it about 2 months ago. The Twin turbo Schiada you saw was used for passes we made at the Ski show on Memorial Day

reb939
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Maybe someone mentioned these already...good places to check out Internet fraud and urban legends....
And....
Getting back to the subject
Does anyone have any idea of the percentage of people contacted on these scams actually fall for them? It's got to be low or at least I hope it is. some of them sound to stupid for anyone to believe

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 03:52 PM
This scam is so old that I am amazed that so many people have still not heard of it, especially on the internet.
In 2002, I got contacted by some dude in Africa...thought I was going to sell my v-drive to a prop-shaft chucker. I just kept insisting on wire transfer and he never called back. Look for NtwoTrance here on the boards....he can point you in the direction of the authorities who would be interested.
done and done.. :p

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
And....
Thank you much.
I talked to my girlie and she said Secret Service could care less. FBI is the only one that cared. So she is in a waiting period to get her accounts back.
Sour Deal :yuk:

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Thank you much.
I talked to my girlie and she said Secret Service could care less. FBI is the only one that cared. So she is in a waiting period to get her accounts back.
Sour Deal :yuk:
Each scam is different, and the way they have to be handled or whom they need to be sent to is different. then when money has exchanged hands, it also changes the game. Not sure what your friends situation is or under what circumstances they came under, but everyone does need to be careful. Not all scams are listed on the internet so, before anyone does something, they need to first go with your gut instinct of "if an offer is to good to be true, then it's a definate warning that something is wrong". Next, ask around, get other peoples feed back on things. if this fails, and you already go through with the transaction, find help to get the situation resolved....just my .02

CandyA$$
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Each scam is different, and the way they have to be handled or whom they need to be sent to is different. then when money has exchanged hands, it also changes the game. Not sure what your friends situation is or under what circumstances they came under, but everyone does need to be careful. Not all scams are listed on the internet so, before anyone does something, they need to first go with your gut instinct of "if an offer is to good to be true, then it's a definate warning that something is wrong". Next, ask around, get other peoples feed back on things. if this fails, and you already go through with the transaction, find help to get the situation resolved....just my .02
And a very good .02 cents.
That is what I said when I got it.
But she did not think anything of it. Tttt Ttttt
:squiggle:

Mr. Crusader 83
08-10-2005, 04:31 PM
go to craigslist.org it tells you all about this scam. what they do is send you a fake cashiers check for more and they say that they accountant sent to much and to send it back with the item.... then 3 days later your bank calls and says the check is bad...... now your out your boat and 36k....
sounds like a good way to get 3 meals a day and a bed if you like bars..........

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
You are the man!!! I don't care what Donald says about you!!! :D :D :D
and all this time I thought it was you he was calling names... :jawdrop:

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
LOL ! Grasshopper must learn the hard way. :D :D
as always... :hammerhea you going to cbbb?

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Yup. It is a boyz trip. And you?
BTW - sorry for hijacking the thread.....again. :)
yep, going naked though (no boat, she's a bit ill)

Ntwotrance
08-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, it will just be me and my two boyz Cole and Nate (4 & 2) We are coming out Friday and going home Saturday night.
hunt me down, got the minnion with me as well....

BoatPI
08-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Operative word "Nigerian". Crooks in the birth canal.

Big Block
08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
It happened to me a couple of years ago when I was selling a Toyota Landcruiser. I knew what was up from the get-go, and had the guy send me the fake check like I was falling for it. He wanted me to wire the extra money to him ($7,256.), but I insisted that I would only send him cash. This little detail got him all excited of course. So he sends me an actual PO Box addy, and I sent hime $7500. in Monopoly money, and told him to keep the change.
CLASSIC!!

Mohave Vice
08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Report that Shi@. It would seem the cops would want to "sting" this guy and observe the transaction!!

sea2lake
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
:p :p I received about the same email when i was selling my older bmw. the wanted to give me a check for 10 k and i would then send thema check for 3k . and they would send theyre man over to pick up the car when my check cleared.hahahahahahaha. I saw that one coming.hahahahha.

H20Advantage
08-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Nigerian Scam Reporting:
The United States Secret Service continues to be tasked as the primary US law enforcement agency in dealing with ADVANCED FEE FRAUD (419) matters.
US Citizens or residents with NO FINANCIAL LOSS are asked to email 419er (Nigerian Scam) documents to the United States Secret Service at:
419.fcd@usss.treas.gov
where they will be archived for future data mining. Due to the sheer volume of materials received, USSS does not respond to submissions to this address.
US Citizens or residents with FINANCIAL LOSS are instructed to contact the nearest SECRET SERVICE FIELD OFFICE.

Ntwotrance
08-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Nigerian Scam Reporting:
The United States Secret Service continues to be tasked as the primary US law enforcement agency in dealing with ADVANCED FEE FRAUD (419) matters.
US Citizens or residents with NO FINANCIAL LOSS are asked to email 419er (Nigerian Scam) documents to the United States Secret Service at:
419.fcd@usss.treas.gov
where they will be archived for future data mining. Due to the sheer volume of materials received, USSS does not respond to submissions to this address.
US Citizens or residents with FINANCIAL LOSS are instructed to contact the nearest SECRET SERVICE FIELD OFFICE.
the boat scam and the Nigerian scam are two different types of scams. the nigerian scam is when they tell you your distant relative died and you inherited the money, and so on and so forth....