PDA

View Full Version : Sound checks at Lake Mead

laveydayz
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Lake Mead is now cracking down on mufflers. They had sound checks last weekend at the Marina and wrote a few DUI's along with the muffler tickets. Be carefull!!!!

All IN
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
If you drink and drive a boat I hope you get a DUI.

Creator
08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
we got busted for sound at the lavey regatta 2 years ago.

laveydayz
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
If you drink and drive a boat I hope you get a DUI.Well if your "drunk" then yes you deserve it, but people can get one after 3 beers...lets face it 90% of the boats on the lake have drivers who have had a few beers. Its the people who drink all day and dont know when to say enough, that are the dangerous ones. It would really suck to get stopped for noise and get a DUI for only having a couple of beers. Just my opinion.

ratso
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Where is RD??? :D

2Driver
08-10-2005, 03:44 PM
How do find out the noise level:
1. Max Allowed
2. of your boat
Should I assume a 21 xtc Lavey with a 454 mag and lighting headers will not make the cut there?

Creator
08-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Depends on the guy running the test, The major problem with the sound test is there is no standard testing routine. Ours was tested on the water at 3 yards back running 3k rpm and 3 ft back at idle. We were in the 93-96 range. His meter was all over the place and he just wrote us up for 96db's...BS if you ask me.
We run a 2750 Lavey with a blown hp500. You know lavey, they put a pretty big echo chamber back there under the swim step.

blown428fe
08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Busting ass up here in Connecticut too.

nextel4u
08-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I got snagged on Saturday at Lake Mead for Sound, the ranger was maybe 2 feet away from my swipstep while he was doing his test. I wathced the meter go up and down from 84db up to 98db. After about 2 minutes of testing he told me my boat was at 93.6db. There were also 5 or 6 other loud boats right next to me during the test. I have no idea how these tests can be accurate! Ending up letting me go with a warning. Just bought the Gibson Mufflers, No more Hassles.

Laser 21
08-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Depends on the guy running the test, The major problem with the sound test is there is no standard testing routine. Ours was tested on the water at 3 yards back running 3k rpm and 3 ft back at idle. We were in the 93-96 range. His meter was all over the place and he just wrote us up for 96db's...BS if you ask me.
We run a 2750 Lavey with a blown hp500. You know lavey, they put a pretty big echo chamber back there under the swim step.
http://www.boatnevada.org/laws/noise.pdf
SAE J34: The most precise measurement available, taken of a boat at a distance of 50 ft. with wide-open throttle (the near maximum noise of the boat). Although great for engineering standards, it is difficult for enforcement purposes in the field. The Coast Guard recommends 86 decibels (dBA), which most states have adopted as law.
SAE J2005: This measures the engine sound at idle with the microphone 1.5 m away. SAE recommends a limit of 90dbA for this method, which does not account for the speed or power of the boat.
SAE J1970: In realizing the enforcement difficulties of the previous methods,
SAE designed this shoreline noise test enabling regulations keeping the boat under 75 dBA at 50 ft. by operation, not mechanics. The operator is responsible for controlling the noise of the boat.

dicudmore
08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
I got snagged on Saturday at Lake Mead for Sound, the ranger was maybe 2 feet away from my swipstep while he was doing his test. I wathced the meter go up and down from 84db up to 98db. After about 2 minutes of testing he told me my boat was at 93.6db. There were also 5 or 6 other loud boats right next to me during the test. I have no idea how these tests can be accurate! Ending up letting me go with a warning. Just bought the Gibson Mufflers, No more Hassles.
hmm...John, what was the rangers name?
I got popped at Mead for 93.6 (with an HO??) and tested 88 at Havasu with NO changes to the boat.
Maybe their ticket meter is pre-set to 93.6

Chromegorilla
08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Gotta love Georgia. I was launching last week and a sherrifs boat and DNR boat were tied up at the ramp docks. I launch and start it dockside. We shoot the shit for a few minutes as engine warms up and The 'neck sheriff guys keep saying..."rev that somebitch!" LOL. I have 496HO with a straight exhaust, not switchable, no baffles, mufflers or nuttin. I guess I'll enjoy while I can.

Big Bear
08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
We launched Sat out of Callville Bay. Didn't see anyone testing. I've already got the Gibson thru transom bullets, so I've almost got the attitude of "bring it on"!!

nextel4u
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Name
I know he was an older guy maybe maybe 5.7ft tall. He busted 2 of my buddies on Saturday for noise also, one of them got a DUI (oui)
Frickin Sucks

THOR
08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
If you drink and drive a boat I hope you get a DUI.
Nice karma you are building up.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
The guys from Nevada Dept of Wildlife are assholes. They think if you boat is more than 50ft away, it should not exceed the limit period! The National Park Rangers are pretty good to deal with. IMHO Unless your being stupid. I just shut my boat off when I see them[cat and mouse] wait till they leave. Budlight

2Driver
08-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Anyone install theses themselves????..
.I have never delt with boat mufflers before..... I am assuming they go on the outside of the transom? I have lighting headers on a 454 mag mPI and not any room for anything from the transom to the header?
Not much info on the gibson site

laveydayz
08-11-2005, 07:59 AM
.I have never delt with boat mufflers before..... I am assuming they go on the outside of the transom? I have lighting headers on a 454 mag mPI and not any room for anything from the transom to the header?
You will have to get the clamp on style....Go with the Gibsons, they work very well.

ADDICTED
08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Try www.GibsonMarine.com.

Holland
08-11-2005, 08:42 AM
So now they are chasing you down IN THE LAKE, mot just at the marina??? Is this true?

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Gotta love Georgia. I was launching last week and a sherrifs boat and DNR boat were tied up at the ramp docks. I launch and start it dockside. We shoot the shit for a few minutes as engine warms up and The 'neck sheriff guys keep saying..."rev that somebitch!" LOL. I have 496HO with a straight exhaust, not switchable, no baffles, mufflers or nuttin. I guess I'll enjoy while I can.
That is pretty funny... "Rev that Somebitch"... :D

laveydayz
08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
So now they are chasing you down IN THE LAKE, mot just at the marina??? Is this true? Have not heard of anyone getting caught on the lake, just at the marinas.

38cig
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
how about echo, any po po there??????????

Creator
08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Have not heard of anyone getting caught on the lake, just at the marinas.
We got caught going through the narrows! I posted previously but didn't mention where it happend.