PDA

View Full Version : Who has a twin turbo setup on there jet?

wet77
08-10-2005, 03:24 PM
I know I have seen pics of a twin turbo setup on a daytona maybe??
Anyone have any info on it?
I might be lookin to go that direction with my 540 for a winter project :hammer2:
Just ordered a snoot from HTP tobay hoping to see 80 mph :clover:
I have seen 76.4 and climbing on the gps so far :D
5800 rpm with inducer and a Bronze B aggressor.
Any info would be great.
Thanks Guys! :D

DeputyDawg
08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Unchained here on the boards has a very hard running twin turbo Edge Stealth that he built after buying the hull new from Duane at HTP.

Vern S
08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
5800 with a Aggressor B should be quite a bit more than 76.4 mph. Might look into the impeller, wear ring etc. as well as the overall set up of the hull, rideplate, shoe, etc.

Ken F
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Wet, I would agree with Vern. I'm turning an Agr."B" at 5400 and gps 91.5 with a Cheyenne.
Ken F

JEThro
08-10-2005, 04:51 PM
wet77, The Daytona that you're talking about belongs to Jerry of Billett Racing. He hangs out over on the Banderlog Board. Try posting up over there. He's a real nice guy and will answer any questions you might have.

Old Guy
08-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's the one Mark put together.
http://www.michigan***boats.com/technical/turbo1.html

wet77
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
5800 with a Aggressor B should be quite a bit more than 76.4 mph. Might look into the impeller, wear ring etc. as well as the overall set up of the hull, rideplate, shoe, etc.
That is only a half mile run with full tanks and 2 people in the boat.
Keep in mind its a heavy 21' daytona and I am only pushing 650 hp :supp:
I have been playing around with the ride plate, taking it up slowly each time I go out and I have seen speed improvements every time.
I have only had the boat out about 4 times but last weekend I had 5 people (large adults) in the boat and hit 70+mph without trying to hard :D
Lots of setup I know I will keep posting on the results.
Thanks for the info on the turbo :D

Unchained
08-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Wet77,
Here's what you'll get with some turbo power,
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/uncheighthmi.MPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/220Turboengine05-med.jpg
If you decide to go with turbo / EFI I can supply you a set of stainless headers with turbos and wastegates.
You can also get an off the shelf EFI ready intake manifold right out of the Summit catalog.

Squirtcha?
08-11-2005, 06:06 AM
That is only a half mile run with full tanks and 2 people in the boat.
Keep in mind its a heavy 21' daytona and I am only pushing 650 hp :supp:
I have been playing around with the ride plate, taking it up slowly each time I go out and I have seen speed improvements every time.
I have only had the boat out about 4 times but last weekend I had 5 people (large adults) in the boat and hit 70+mph without trying to hard :D
Lots of setup I know I will keep posting on the results.
Thanks for the info on the turbo :D
I think the guys are talking about a mismatch between your rpm and mph.
Ken's getting more mph at less rpm with the same cut Agg B. Something isn't jiving.
Wet, I would agree with Vern. I'm turning an Agr."B" at 5400 and gps 91.5 with a Cheyenne.

cyclone
08-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I think the guys are talking about a mismatch between your rpm and mph.
Ken's getting more mph at less rpm with the same cut Agg B. Something isn't jiving.
Ken's got a 19-footer and this guys got a heavier 21. different animal altogether. Those 21's take some power to really move out unless you got one of those new carbon fiber/kevlar TPR 21's that don't weigh much.

wet77
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Ken's got a 19-footer and this guys got a heavier 21. different animal altogether. Those 21's take some power to really move out unless you got one of those new carbon fiber/kevlar TPR 21's that don't weigh much.
Thanks for the help on the explantion :D
The speed and rpm did not shock Duane at HTP he says I have a heavy boat :supp:
Who knows what will happen with a snoot and the ride plate up higher??
Will let you know soon snoot shows up Friday :clover:

Ken F
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Ah-Ha! I didn't realize that your boat was that heavy. Duane is a master at getting heavy boats to run...listen to him! Maybe I should rephrase that....
He's pretty good at getting light ones to run too! LOL
...and he's a pretty darn good windmill man.
Ken F

Squirtcha?
08-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the clarification Mike. Didn't know it was a 21. Rpm still sounds kinda high for an Aggressor B though?

Cs19
08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
unchained, are you seeing any unloading or strange things happening at about 110-115 mph? I though i saw something in the video that almost resembles something my boat has been doing at those speeds.
also, watch, the oil press during the vid, is that a normal deal? looks like its falling while your hard on the gas? i might be wrong, but Id hate to see something happen.

Unchained
08-12-2005, 04:09 AM
unchained, are you seeing any unloading or strange things happening at about 110-115 mph? I though i saw something in the video that almost resembles something my boat has been doing at those speeds.
also, watch, the oil press during the vid, is that a normal deal? looks like its falling while your hard on the gas? i might be wrong, but Id hate to see something happen.
I really haven't had any bad handling problems at all with that hull.
Pump loading seems to be good. What Video did you see it on ?
The fastest I've gone so far is 118 in an 800' run.
That's been fast enough to be out front in short course lake racing so far.
I ran a guy with a blown Hemi hydro last friday.
What a pig that boat was. I must have had him by 8 lengths in 1/8 mi.
His setup was way far off. Those guys always seem to want to put in way too big of a gear set.
On the oiling issue I determined that it was a drainback problem. I put an external #10 line drain from the back of the left side head directly to the oil pan and I'm just trying it out now. I think that's going to fix it or at least minimise it.

ttmott
08-12-2005, 05:03 AM
Mine is not as sophisticated as Unchained's but runs and runs well. Boat is 1978 Sleekcraft with bottom and intake worked. 101 MPH is the best at 1.4 bar boost. Engine is BBC468, 8.5:1, closed loop cooled, intercooled, Edlebrock heads, solid roller Comp 300BR grind. Pump is Berk with American Turbine 9.25 bowl and 9.25 SST impeller, droop, loader, and Place diverter. Shoe is 3 deg pos. Boat is very stable up to high 90's but gets to feeling wierd over that; limits of hull reached no need to go faster in this boat. Biggest problem is when launching from idle entire boat leaves water and pump aspirates air banging the rev limiter; working through this with shoe, ride plate, and wedge changes however.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1030DSC00368.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1030DSC00367.JPG
Tom

Rompn
08-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Mine is not as sophisticated as Unchained's but runs and runs well. Boat is 1978 Sleekcraft with bottom and intake worked. 101 MPH is the best at 1.4 bar boost. Engine is BBC468, 8.5:1, closed loop cooled, intercooled, Edlebrock heads, solid roller Comp 300BR grind. Pump is Berk with American Turbine 9.25 bowl and 9.25 SST impeller, droop, loader, and Place diverter. Shoe is 3 deg pos. Boat is very stable up to high 90's but gets to feeling wierd over that; limits of hull reached no need to go faster in this boat. Biggest problem is when launching from idle entire boat leaves water and pump aspirates air banging the rev limiter; working through this with shoe, ride plate, and wedge changes however.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1030DSC00368.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1030DSC00367.JPG
Tom
I remember watching the buildup of that boat. Pure craftsmanship and insanity! :eek: