PDA

View Full Version : How do you drain your oil?

Lumpy
06-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Hey guys,
Just wondering how you drain your motor oil in your boats without making a mess? Thanks..........Lumpy

comin' unscrewed
06-07-2002, 07:01 PM
I had Dan Olsen put a bung in the back right corner when he built my oil pan. It points right at the drain plug in the transom ring. I have a 5/8 i.d. hose permanently attached to the bung and coiled by the jet. When it's time for a change, I clamp the hose with vise-grips, uncork the end and feed it through the drain hole. Then I just remove the vise-grips. Works best if the oil is warm.
[This message has been edited by comin' unscrewed (edited June 07, 2002).]

vdriveride
06-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I let it drain into a heavy duty trash bag and use a hand pump to trasfer it to a oil drain pan. Worth the extra effort to keep the mess down.........

lovemyultra
06-07-2002, 08:22 PM
I have a hose attached to my pan that comes out the back of the boat with a plug in the end of it, works pretty good. I also bought a 12V pump with a bucket attached it is real slick but it was 120 bucks
GOOD LUCK DJ

LeadFootTheRabbit
06-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Drilled a hole in the drain plug. Welded an 1/8" pipe nipple to it. Threaded a 90 degree elbow, valve and hose nipple to it. When I drain the oil I just slide a 5/16 hose through the water drain hole in the back of the boat, slip it onto the hose nipple and turn on the valve. I've used this for 15 years with no problems. Cost; less than $20. Good luck and have fun LDFTRBT

06-08-2002, 09:09 AM
I make a mess.

Fat Chance
06-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 058:
I make a mess.
LMAO!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

RumRunner
06-09-2002, 04:13 AM
I've got the hose deal on my pan, you can buy these kits for about $20 in most boating stores well worth it.

rrrr
06-09-2002, 06:51 AM
I plan to build a hydraulically actuated rotating assembly that clamps on the hull. It will lift the boat and rotate it upside down, allowing me to drain all of the oil out of the valve cover breathers.
This will be really cool because all of the beer cans, tater chips, flip flops, bikini tops, etc. that get dropped in the boat will just fall out. It'll be a lot easier than digging around cleaning that stuff out. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

not guilty
06-09-2002, 09:57 AM
I just run the shit out of mine so it usually blows up before it needs an oil change,just pull the whole thing out. NG

Thunderbutt
06-09-2002, 03:09 PM
I always knew you were guilty of something. QUOTE]Originally posted by not guilty:
I just run the shit out of mine so it usually blows up before it needs an oil change,just pull the whole thing out. NG[/QUOTE]

bajaruner
06-10-2002, 08:20 AM
I warm up the engine, pull the distributor, and oil presure sending unit. Use a 1/8" pipe fitting with a hose barb attachtment, and pump the oil out through the opening where the sending unit was, into an empty antifreeze jug using a electric drill attachted to the priming tool. It's clean no mess, no hassle.
Just my way.

Hotcrusader76
06-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Well..not to beat you all in simplicity..but I warm the motor up, then a pump it out with a red hand pump (Kragen has them for $13, hand suction kit), then I go through the dip-stick hole, and start pumping. Pump into an empty milk jug, because it will splatter around. This is the cheapest and easiest way I have found. Then before filling her back get a conversion kit for that oil pan so you can just plug into the oil pan drain plug. This all takes but 10 minutes of pumping, change filter 5 minutes, and then fill her back up!.... Easy day!
Good luck bro!
Ty Lofstrom
TPC Racing
[This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited June 10, 2002).]

obnoxus
06-11-2002, 02:23 PM
MY Kieth Eikert preoiler has the capability of changing the oil,,, looks good to !!!!!

Tahiti Day Cruiser
06-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Myself I used to use this hand pump. I would stick one hose from the pump all the way into the dipstick tube then just pump out the oil into a container at the other end. Recently I found out an easy way to remove the engine hatch and surrounding cover which makes it even easier. This way I cn now fit a small oil container under the motor in the bilge and then just unscrew the bolt and let the oil flow.
p.s - ATTN: "RumRunner" - If this is the same 20+ foot Hallet that gave us a tow last year on our Sea-doo back from Topock, just want to say thanks for being so COOL. After riding your boat we were so impressed by it, we just had to sell the Sea-doo and recently purchased a 21' foot Tahiti.
Thanks again http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

lghtnin33
06-13-2002, 06:24 PM
i use to use a paint roller pan with an elbow fitting, attached to a 6ft. 3/8" hose that i could put through the drain plug hole and drain the oil that way.works great for catching the oil filter drips too. but got smart and got an oil plug drain hose.$24.99 no more troubles!

shirkey4750
06-13-2002, 06:45 PM
I use an old shop-vac. Turn the vac on pull the plug and cover the hole in one move. Takes about a minute to drain the oil. just don't run to long or to full or it will blow out the top.

iceman
06-13-2002, 07:30 PM
I bought the drain plug with a built in valve on it from summit and have a hose atached to it.when i want to drain the oil i stick the hose out the bilge drain and flip the lever ,it's easier than popping the cap on your beer. now i just need to figure out how to change my oil filter without making a mess .

Lumpy
06-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Iceman,
Do you have thr part number from summit? Thanks........Lumpy

DEEZ NUTTS
06-13-2002, 08:05 PM
I have learned that summits catologue only containes part of what they stock. Ask for just about anything they will have it. A little FYI.

iceman
06-14-2002, 06:42 PM
lumpy,
part # is fum-f101n 1/2"-20 thread 19.99

79Hawaiian
06-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Iceman,
I have ruined my carpet changing the oil filter on my BBF for the last time. I found that 2 plastic grocery shopping bags work great. First get your filter about 1-2 turns from coming off. Wrap the 2 bags (on inside the other) around the bottom of the fiter and twist off. Once the filter comes off let it drop into the bottom of the bag and hold the top of the bag closed. You should be able to move the filter around sideways or whatever to get it out and the oil will stay in the bag.
-Good luck!

Liberator TJ1984
06-20-2002, 01:17 PM
I got a hose from my pan drain hole 1/2" x #8 JIC Male Hyd.Fitting .Then to the transom backpump cover plates I ran a Hyd.Hose with #8 female swivels on ea.end .I then driled a hole thru the plate where I installed a #8 double male bulkhead fitting.on the outside of the plate cap off the fitting w/# 8 cap.To drain my oil just take off cap raise bow with jack and let oil run out into catch pan ..e-mail for fax drawing of how done.. super easy...