PDA

View Full Version : loctite and aluminum?

msmeads1
08-10-2005, 09:51 PM
any ideas?
I have a SS threaded bolt that threads into an aluminum part on my Schiada.
The vibration keeps backing the bolt out. I have tried the blue and red loctite. No luck, it ended up eating away the threads on the aluminum part.
I now need to have a new part made and do not want to make the same mistake?
What do you use to get the part together when working with SS and Alm?
Jon
See you all in LB this weekend :cool:

steveo143
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Use a "keensert" or "perma thread" or any similar product. They are thread repair coil inserts actually made of stainless which will be more compatible with your stainless bolt. If its to be a permanent mount the locktite should work, if it needs to come apart often, use anti-sieze. The inserts or thread repair will require a larger hole and thread for the insert, so you nshould be able to save your original part.
steveo143 aka dimarco 21 II

ColeTR2
08-10-2005, 10:18 PM
any ideas?
I have a SS threaded bolt
Can you put safety wire through the bolt?

obnoxious001
08-10-2005, 10:36 PM
any ideas?
The vibration keeps backing the bolt out. I have tried the blue and red loctite. No luck, it ended up eating away the threads on the aluminum part.
Jon
That doesn't happen to be the driveline guard? Thats the one thing I always had problems with on my Schiada. Which part are you talking about, maybe someone can give you a more definative answer.

GofastRacer
08-11-2005, 04:50 AM
That doesn't happen to be the driveline guard? Thats the one thing I always had problems with on my Schiada. Which part are you talking about, maybe someone can give you a more definative answer.
Safety wire is a must on those!..

GofastRacer
08-11-2005, 04:54 AM
any ideas?
Jon
Are you talking about the driveline cover????, if so put an insert in it and drill your bolts for safety wire, that is a must!..

DUECE'SDAD
08-11-2005, 05:29 AM
I have always heard to use the green loctite on anything goinginto aluminum, but i have had to many alum threads come out trying the red and blue, so i have never tried the green. I have the same problem on the sprocket on my harley, the wheel is alum, I just carry an allen wrench if im going very far.

msmeads1
08-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Here is the skinny per the tech line at loctite.
spray loctite primer # 22477, let dry seventy seconds, then apply thread loc of your choice? blue or red. let set up for 24 hours and your good to go.
The primer helps with the two different types of metals. Done deal. :lightsabe
To answer your question. The part is a alum bracket that holds my Bildge to the bottom of my boat, just under the rear motor mount bracket. The vibration is real bad there, as there is allot going on under the boat.