PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

CVX20Dustin
08-11-2005, 02:19 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/282728_1_b_1_-thumb.jpg
Are the Berkeley center rising exhaust better then the log and snail stile. Would I see any performance again. I'm running a 460 has 450 to 500hp.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Hmmmm I didn't know Berk was putting those out. I would think you'd see something, especially if you7 are pushing that kind of power through logs. I'm headed for a set of Lightning headers myself. $1800 plus outlets (4"ers) $200 more
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Exhaust/lightning-headers.htm

Mighty Thor
08-11-2005, 09:16 AM
If these are for your CVX 20 you may need to measure the room between the hatch cover and the current exhaust manifolds. The Headers at CP Performance may not fit under your cover. I have the same Harden Exhaust as you do on my CVX. I was told that the type we have are preferable to straight log type but may not flow as freely as headers, but the trick is to get something else to fit. On mine, anything that sticks very far out from the head will hit my side walls of the engine compartment. I am still trying to figure out how to change plugs or pull the valve cover w/o removing the exhaust manifolds.

Mighty Thor
08-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Plus, it looks to me like the only set of those headears that might fit a CVX was about $3000.00 when you get all the associated pieces. I didn't pay that much for the whole boat.

CVX20Dustin
08-11-2005, 11:04 AM
The lightning header are just to much money. I will try to pick up the center style pictured and see if they help. `
Yes they will before my CVX 20.
Might THOR, YOU HAVE TO PULL THE EXHAUST TO GET TO THE PLUGS AND valve covers off that real sucks. Do you have any hook in your hull. I think thats whats giving me my porpoise problem. I put a split bowl on with a droop didn't help but did make it come out of the hole a lot better. I also tried a longer ride plate no help. The only thing that helps is the diverter all the way down if I have the ride plate up 2 to 4 degrees.

Mighty Thor
08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I never ran the boat with the stock setup, when I got the used JF pump I set the jetovator and locked it in place till I got the motor wired up. It did porpoise a little at high throttle, but that was controllable with the throttle. Now I got the cable hooked up I can trim right out of anything that comes up. I don't have the ability to throw a huge roost though. No complaints just an observation. I am new enough that I don't know how a droop would effect all of this. I do know that weight location in my boat makes a big difference. My ride plate is the factory JF unit and I just slapped it in as it was set when I got the pump, never messed with it and not sure what the angle is. Mind you, I am running a AA impeller and have only seen 55 mph indicated on the speedo. Not sure what might come up at higher speeds. With no windshield and a whinny wife, I get "Honey slow down!" at anything much over 35. Still, at any speed a day on the water beats mowing the grass.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Fortunately, I have a low windshield on my Taylor, and a wife who only speaks 4-letter words when she sees my left hand drop off the wheel toward the Nitrous rocker switch. "Oh shyte". She seems to not mind mid 60's but seems a tiny bit concerned as we head toward 70, mostly in borderline choppy water tho (DD fun-pillows). :)