PDA

View Full Version : BIG cats

me4drvr
08-11-2005, 07:41 AM
hey eveyone, looking to get into a bigger boat soon, so I'm looking for opinions on larger cats. I've been leaning toward the Magic 34 but the customer service comments here scare me. any input would be cool. Also looking at the Daytona 33 and F34, but need open bow style. going from a 29 v and crossing over to the cat world.

jackpunx
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
whats your budget?..
there are a lot of choices depending on your needs.. the F34 can come with the open bow..
but you can go with the MTI 42 or the 36 Nortec and have all the creature comforts with out the open bow..
Do you want to go in the ocean?
if so.. the open bow is probably not a good idea..
do you want east coast or west coast?
and have you budgeted for insurance?

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 08:34 AM
the reason you only hear bad customer service stories on here is because only unhappy customers post their stories,Ive had great service,as well as alot of my friends with magics.We just had work done at the havasu serv shop last week,it went great,Clu(serv mngr) even got 30 pack of coors light from me,thats how happy I was.If you have more in depth questions PM me or the other 90% of happy magic owners,just watch out for the 10%ers,their pissed,,,,,no offense to the 10%ers,some of you have had some bad luck :D

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 08:35 AM
i see your in corona,ive heard the magic shop in fontana has a great service dept,our boat stays in havasu or I would be taking it there

Jordy
08-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I was on Magic34's 34' Magic (imagine that) last weekend at Pleasant and I'll tell you, that is one of the best looking boats I've seen come out of Magic. I crawled all over it and was blown away by the detail and setup on it. There is all kinds of room for whatever you would want to do in it. Bench seat was 4 wide in the back, with the 2 bolsters, but you could put 10 people in it without crowding anyone. It was a closed bow and the cabin was nice as well. Very nice boat. ;)

Magic34
08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
hey eveyone, looking to get into a bigger boat soon, so I'm looking for opinions on larger cats. I've been leaning toward the Magic 34 but the customer service comments here scare me. any input would be cool. Also looking at the Daytona 33 and F34, but need open bow style. going from a 29 v and crossing over to the cat world.
I have now owned 2 34' Magic cats. PM me if you want some specific info. I have been treated really well and the boat is awesome. I don't consider it luck either.

Magic34
08-11-2005, 08:53 AM
I was on Magic34's 34' Magic (imagine that) last weekend at Pleasant and I'll tell you, that is one of the best looking boats I've seen come out of Magic. I crawled all over it and was blown away by the detail and setup on it. There is all kinds of room for whatever you would want to do in it. Bench seat was 4 wide in the back, with the 2 bolsters, but you could put 10 people in it without crowding anyone. It was a closed bow and the cabin was nice as well. Very nice boat. ;)
Thanks again. Nice finally hooking up out there. See you next time.

Jordy
08-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks again. Nice finally hooking up out there. See you next time.
Yeah, that was a really good day at the lake with really cool people on both sides of me. Looking forward to doing it again. :D

LHC30Victory
08-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Without chiming in on the Magic opinion, If I were in the market for something like a 34+ cat, I would look East cost builders like MTI, Nortec etc first then come back west and compare....

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 09:00 AM
i have no idea the cost on those,arent they alot more money? My thoughts are buy the boat close to where its gonna get used,every boat will need some kind of service/work,I wouldnt want to drive across the country

Magic34
08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Without chiming in on the Magic opinion, If I were in the market for something like a 34+ cat, I would look East cost builders like MTI, Nortec etc first then come back west and compare....
You could get a 34' Magic cat with big power (800HP +) for under $300k. Those other boats you list are really nice, but well over $500k with moderate power.

JB in so cal
08-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Magic is also going to be launching a cuddy/open bow 30' using the hull from the new deck boat. How about twins???? :rollside:
Oh and it should run less than $200k

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
What is your budget? I bet you could find a nice Daytona 33 or F34 in the used market that will spank the 34 Magic all day long and take the same sort of water... 199K for an F34 with 6's on offshoreonly.com, 165 for Don Johnson's 33 on this forum with twin 1000hp+ motors for 160k.....or a 36 Spectre (3DO's) for low 200's, or an F34 for 219K with 800's and Bravo's..on dcbracing.com.
Even if only 10% of the customers have issues with Magic that is about 9.5% too many. I bet Nashville only received some attention due to his posts here that garnered alot of attention...after spending 130K +, you would think he would not have to gripe about it online days after spending the cash...
If this is your first big cat, I would really try to find something in the used Market...since the market is soft on these boats, I would not want to take the depreciation hit. Also, I would rethink the Open Bow...anyboat that goes 120+ on a regular occassion should probably not have people in the front of it...My .02

Magic34
08-11-2005, 09:21 AM
What is your budget? I bet you could find a nice Daytona 33 or F34 in the used market that will spank the 34 Magic all day long and take the same sort of water... 199K for an F34 with 6's on DCBracing.com, 165 for Don Johnson's 33 on this forum with twin 1000hp+ motors for 160k.....or a 36 Spectre (3DO's) for low 200's..
Even if only 10% of the customers have issues with Magic that is about 9.5% too many. I bet Nashville only received some attention due to his posts here that garnered alot of attention...after spending 130K +, you would think he would not have to gripe about it online days after spending the cash...
If this is your first big cat, I would really try to find something in the used Market...since the market is soft on these boats, I would not want to take the depreciation hit. Also, I would rethink the Open Bow...anyboat that goes 120+ on a regular occassion should probably not have people in the front of it...My .02
I should have said this... If you want cabin space, buy the Magic. The bed in my boat could fit 2 DCB owners and a 55 gallon drum of Kool Aid between them. :rollside:

Jordy
08-11-2005, 09:23 AM
The bed in my boat could fit 2 DCB owners and a 55 gallon drum of Kool Aid between them. :rollside:
Probably 3 if you count Charley in the mix. :D

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 09:46 AM
DCB has 100% satisfaction with their customers,guess I need 2nd job :D

Jordy
08-11-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't think I'd go that far. No matter what happens there is no possible way that you can make 100% of the customers happy. I have heard of a few less than satisfied cult boat customers as well. It's like anything else. :D

JB in so cal
08-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Once you drink the Koolaid, everyones happy :chi:

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 09:52 AM
thumb in customer service is 10% of people are never satisfied,in any business,not just boats.Thats why I said that,Nashvilles issues just stink,It also doesnt help he is 2000 miles away.If he was smart he would leave the boat here,we can all take it to havasu and get the bugs out,then he can come get it in december :coffeycup

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I did not say 100%, I know of at least 2-3 in the 4 years that I have had them...and they build 40-50 boats a year....I am sure they are in the 99.99 catagory...they are not perfect; but 90% is not a good mark by any means..

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I should have said this... If you want cabin space, buy the Magic. The bed in my boat could fit 2 DCB owners and a 55 gallon drum of Kool Aid between them. :rollside:
The Magic 34 has a lot of room; I give you that...:) In addition, it is a pretty boat with good lines.

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 10:04 AM
unhappy magic owners are out there,every company wants 100%,just some people are never happy.Heres my real issue,heres a guy who wants a boat,maybe a magic,and he is scared off because people only post negative issues on here,thats fine with me,people have the right to do that,and I like knowing about it.So Im just letting him know Ive been 100% satisfied and I would recommend a Magic boat.

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
unhappy magic owners are out there,every company wants 100%,just some people are never happy.Heres my real issue,heres a guy who wants a boat,maybe a magic,and he is scared off because people only post negative issues on here,thats fine with me,people have the right to do that,and I like knowing about it.So Im just letting him know Ive been 100% satisfied and I would recommend a Magic boat.
I hear ya....however, you were the one that brought up the negative things about the other owners negative comments...I did not. I only made a comment on that ratio you pointed out, and have seen numerous threads on here about the way people were treated after the buy, specifically Nvbound. I am glad you are happy with your boat that is all that matters. I was just pointing out; if he wanted to go faster with the same power go look at the Daytona or Mach34; I normally want to go faster when buying a cat, but that just is me.

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
stepped up to 100mph mark yet,not even 75mph.I can tell ya I saw 2 E ticket deckboats last weekend,both looked great,one was haulin ass,looked real nice on the water.Theres alot of options out there.Theres also alot of boats to stay away from

Jordy
08-11-2005, 10:20 AM
I normally want to go faster when buying a cat, but that just is me.
Then look at the East Coast non-center pod boats. What do they call the center pods down in C&T's? Training wheels? :D ;) :D :D

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
stepped up to 100mph mark yet,not even 75mph.I can tell ya I saw 2 E ticket deckboats last weekend,both looked great,one was haulin ass,looked real nice on the water.Theres alot of options out there.Theres also alot of boats to stay away from
I think for deckboats I would not want to go over a 100....just to many issues with aerodynamics (I feel it with the open bow) and too much crap to rattle; and 80-85 deckboat 28-30 sounds perfect to me....Saw a Magic 30 Deck on the Parker Strip last week and it was a beautiful boat...

All IN
08-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Magic builts a great boats and I had nothing but great work from there service deptarment.
You can't always make everyone happy.

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
65 in our deck its a catagory 2 hurricane,stuff flies everywhere,a little dog would look like a potato chip flying by

JB in so cal
08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
65 in our deck its a catagory 2 hurricane,stuff flies everywhere,a little dog would look like a potato chip flying by
Just order the carpet kit and get velcro booties for the pooch!

UnionJack
08-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Then look at the East Coast non-center pod boats. What do they call the center pods down in C&T's? Training wheels? :D ;) :D :D
Nice... Thats awesome

Kilrtoy
08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BAD ATTITUDE BOATS
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
if your looking for a cat don johnson's is the one it has everything and is super clean

me4drvr
08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks Guys,
I just like how the Magic looks and all the freeboard it has compared to the others. Regarding Nortech, Skater and MTI, those are haul a$$ mid life crisis boats. I do have a family and need the creature comforts. As far as budget, my cap is about 300k. I don't like used, if I'm spending a grip, I want everything to be what I want. If I can get to the 100's I'm happy, cus there is always someone faster out there. Magic 34... what kind of power do you have and what do you run at cruise and top? Magic is telling me that they can get a boat together for $250k +/- with 1500hp (750each, no supercharger) Might go supercharged with low boost. I just see to many busted blower boats. I'll just have to wait till test ride time comes and feel them all out. Anybody wanna buy a Warlock 29' deep V? :)

me4drvr
08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
anyone have a link for the Don Johnson boat??

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 10:41 AM
congrads,lots to look at in price range

Magic34
08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Guys,
I just like how the Magic looks and all the freeboard it has compared to the others. Regarding Nortech, Skater and MTI, those are haul a$$ mid life crisis boats. I do have a family and need the creature comforts. As far as budget, my cap is about 300k. I don't like used, if I'm spending a grip, I want everything to be what I want. If I can get to the 100's I'm happy, cus there is always someone faster out there. Magic 34... what kind of power do you have and what do you run at cruise and top? Magic is telling me that they can get a boat together for $250k +/- with 1500hp (750each, no supercharger) Might go supercharged with low boost. I just see to many busted blower boats. I'll just have to wait till test ride time comes and feel them all out. Anybody wanna buy a Warlock 29' deep V? :)
I put Merc 575's with chillers in it, about 680 HP per side. To do 100 on a regular basis (regardless of how much fuel you put in the boat) with this boat, you need 800 HP per side in my opinion. It will not run as fast as the eliminator's and DCB's, but you have more comfort options with the boat than those other choices. I think that DCB makes an almost perfect boat, but it did not fit my wife's needs :crossx: with the cabin ammenities. Apples and Oranges between the boats. This boat isn't built for speed, period. It will do above average speeds for boats (V) that size(length) with similiar power, but the ride is 10x better and much more stable. That's why I have another cat.
In my opinion, when it comes to the motors, go with the 800 HP and which ever route gets you the best fuel consumption to get the 100 MPH mark. My last 34 saw 83-85 MPH every day of the week with stock Merc 575's. I have had this new one to 91 MPH with 30P props bouncing off the limiters. In real world applications with fuel and gear that 91 is more like 88 MPH. I juts put on 32P props and waiting to go to Havasu again to see the results with 3/4 tanks. The larger fuel system with the chillers, sucks more gas down. I last no more than 2-2.5 days on fuel in Havasu before I need more.
I sold my last 34 to go buy a big 38'+ V bottom, and when all was said and done, after looking at numerous big V's, I ordered exactly what I had before, just changed the interior a little. Once again, we are happy with this boat. I was in a very similiar situation to you, I had a 29' Magic Wizard and went to the 34 cat and we have enjoyed every minute in this model of boat.
Good luck!!!! I think you should get twin 679 HP motors, that way I know I am faster. ;)

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 11:02 AM
when are you going to havasu again?

Magic34
08-11-2005, 11:07 AM
when are you going to havasu again?
Trying to get a free room at the Nautical for Labor Day. :D If not, definitely I'll be there next month.

riverroyal
08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
we are there almost ever other weekend,would love a ride

me4drvr
08-11-2005, 11:41 AM
How about 681's, just to say I have 2 more ponies. I know that it is not the fastest boat out there, but it's the best looking (in my opinion) serving cold beers at the sandbar an in the channel. That's the 0 to 12oz factor.

dicudmore
08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Trying to get a free room at the Nautical for Labor Day. :D If not, definitely I'll be there next month.
Mikey you guys can crash at our pad any time...just let us know

Evil-E
08-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Is DCB still making the F34? I have seen only a few and they are all for sale. :confused: I was looking at one before we got the Spectre but I heard they have handling issues. :confused: The guys at OSO had a thread on it.

Magic34
08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Mikey you guys can crash at our pad any time...just let us know
Thanks, but I feel bad imposing. It's not my style to take up someone else's space.
Do you have a pool? :wink:

dicudmore
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks, but I feel bad imposing. It's not my style to take up someone else's space.
Do you have a pool? :wink:
no pool, thats what the lake is for :D
if you're that way and need a place its not a prob... We have little kids also

Magic34
08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
no pool, thats what the lake is for :D
if you're that way and need a place its not a prob... We have little kids also
Thanks!

mbrown2
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I will when I can get the wife to stop wanting an open bow....:)

XtrmWakeborder
08-11-2005, 08:50 PM
300k? Wow another baller on ***boat. How much is Bling sellin his boat for?

KACHINA KEN
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
You could get a 34' Magic cat with big power (800HP +) for under $300k. Those other boats you list are really nice, but well over $500k with moderate power.
yup.

KACHINA KEN
08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Magic is also going to be launching a cuddy/open bow 30' using the hull from the new deck boat. How about twins???? :rollside:
Oh and it should run less than $200k
It is the biggest f'in 30 I have ever seen.