PDA

View Full Version : NOS Anybody considered it?

Hotcrusader76
07-20-2002, 11:01 AM
Is there anybody out here running a NOS system...reliably?
In my own mind, I think it's worthless on a Jet for recreational use. What are the pros and cons to useing it when you have a Jetboat doing 75+ already, Hi-rise manifold, Dual carbs, 10+ Compression, etc?
Is something worth trying? I just wanted to get a discussion or board started on NOS? I think its a great idea for a board post...
Ty

mister460
07-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Cheap horsepower and can be very reliable if set up right. Always fun to drive. :p

Infomaniac
07-21-2002, 04:38 PM
I have several opinions on this subject. I believe most systems are engineered well enough to not necessairily damage the engine.
New users are impressed on how much that new button increases the performance. It is just too easy to add more spray to it before the necessary engine component upgrades are made.
My standard opinion about spray is that you are living on borrowed time when using that stuff. I have always preferred a blower.
It does come in handy when you run out of beer !! :p

BlownCole
07-21-2002, 07:14 PM
I have run NOS on boat but it comes in so hard it is hard on parts mainly outdrives, and keeping those bottles filled is quite a hassle. A friend ran it on a jet boat with a 502 no ill effects, he was a very conservative driver though.

Makin' Do
07-22-2002, 04:59 AM
I run a 454 (.080 over) in a TX19 with a proshot fogger. We are on about our 6th year on the bottom end and 4th year on the top end (preventative maintenance on roller lifters). I love the nitrous because it doesn’t affect my gas economy just cruising but when it is time to race just open the bottle. It really pisses the blower boats off when the get out run by a dual small Holley tunnel ram. Invest in an extra bottle.
Matt

stressedout
07-22-2002, 07:17 AM
I have used nitrous for 15+ years. I have a 700hp. kit on the hydro. 496...Lunati crank,fowler billet alum.rods with stainless dows,ported merlin heads,arp head studs,roller cam, titanium valves,stainless roller rockers with a stud girdle,14-1 custom built arias nitrous pistons,msd 7al2 ignition with a multi step retard,tunnel ram with 2 750's.This engine was built for high hp nitrous.
We use to run nos solonoids had lots of trouble,we now run compucar with no problems.
Compucar makes a single stage that makes 1100 hp.There solonoids flow a lot higher rate than any other,they even have ported inlets and outlets for higher flow.
It is not cheap hp for this application as I can only get 2 1/4 mile passes on a 10 lb bottle at 4.50 a pound.
The advantage for me is I also use this boat to ride around in,very economical when not on the button.Have beatin boats running 500in.with 871 blowers putting out 18 pounds of boost.
Disadvantage...Need several nit.bottles,need of 118 gas.

78Eliminator
07-22-2002, 08:56 AM
Doing NOS this summer. I guess I'll report back when my motor is blown to bits :D

737jetmech
07-22-2002, 10:53 AM
I've run nitrous on a drag car for many years and also use it on a 2.5offshore merc o/b.You have to run a system that is not going to exceed your engines Mechanical limits (rpm) & Thermal limits (egt) for the motor to live. Run the system on the rich side or low power jets and make sure your fuel system is going to be able to supply the needed fuel .You will hurt the engine if you can not supply the enrichment fuel to control exhaust gas temperature.Lean mixture will produce higher hp as well as higher temperatures. Just my 2 cents ... Bob

737jetmech
07-22-2002, 10:55 AM
[ July 22, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: 737jetmech ]

Hotcrusader76
07-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Justin,
Sounds like your dead searious about the "laughin' gas". Let's do it!
Girlfriend gave me the thumbs up on the NOS also. I want more flow first and I think the extra flow will cook those bassets, so maybe the Jethot coatings is a must?
I just want a simple fogger system, hidden well!
Ty

77charger
07-22-2002, 02:23 PM
i run it or waste it on a cruiser boat.I use a 100 hp nos unit with a stock lower end and have been doing so for a while with no probs and it helps push my bbf429 into the 70mph range.btw it is not a race boat but a cruiser.
i recomend it for the best hp per dollar and it is there when needed

78Eliminator
07-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Justin,
Sounds like your dead searious about the "laughin' gas". Let's do it!
Girlfriend gave me the thumbs up on the NOS also. I want more flow first and I think the extra flow will cook those bassets, so maybe the Jethot coatings is a must?
I just want a simple fogger system, hidden well!
TySounds like a plan. I'll guinie (sp?) pig the whole deal. I'l start off conservative with a 300 hp shot :D j/k
Justin

stressedout
07-23-2002, 04:43 AM
78 Elim.,
300 is not conservative, you better have some good parts if your gonna run that much.
Conservative would be a 175 hp or less.
Hope your j/k
76 CRU.
I RUN 2 1/2 inch dry bassetts, no bluing.
If they blue up with nitrous you better richen it up or back the timing off, or both.
With a 300 hp kit you need to retard the timing 8-12 degrees and run a separate fuel pump for the nitrous,and go 2-3 steps colder on the plug.
[ July 23, 2002, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: stressedout ]

Hotcrusader76
07-23-2002, 06:28 AM
I think Justin and I will go conservative....100HP or so. I will calm him down with some silvers first....But yes I agree the with your bassets comment. I am actually having them Jethot coated first.
stressedout:
78 Elim.,
300 is not conservative, you better have some good parts if your gonna run that much.
Conservative would be a 175 hp or less.
Hope your j/k
76 CRU.
I RUN 2 1/2 inch dry bassetts, no bluing.
If they blue up with nitrous you better richen it up or back the timing off, or both.
With a 300 hp kit you need to retard the timing 8-12 degrees and run a separate fuel pump for the nitrous,and go 2-3 steps colder on the plug.

RumRunner
07-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Nitrous is great on a jet boat. As said before as long as you don't excede the limits of your engine components you'll be fine. Most squirt boats will benifit, since they are more geared for quick acceloration runs anyway.

GasTurbine
07-24-2002, 12:07 PM
We had it on a built 454, and it did wonders. Cheap bolt-on HP.
You MUST have a strong bottom end tho...I cant say this "loud" enough. Remember, all the NO2 does is allow more fuel to be burned, thus, fuel injectors are required too. But this can be acomplished with a simple injection plate between the carb and manifold. High end units have individual injectors in the intake runners...two per runner, with the NO2 one "spraying" the fuel one.
We set ours up with a carb switch at WOT...worked very nice...talk about a rush!
Were adding NO2 to our built Ford SVO 460 HO next year.

RumRunner
07-24-2002, 06:45 PM
The main problem people have when trying to use N2O is they add more additional HP than their engine components can handle. If you have an engine making 500 HP, with components capable of 650, putting 200 HP worth of N2O will eventually break something. N2O is actually very safe since as your bottle pressure drops from use the system will go richer.
Doug

GasTurbine
07-25-2002, 04:39 AM
RumRunner:
N2O is actually very safe since as your bottle pressure drops from use the system will go richer.
DougThey also have 12v bottle heater blankets. These heat the bottle when low, to keep a more "regulated" pressure.

stressedout
07-25-2002, 05:09 AM
Gasturbine,
You should bring your boat to the rumble on the river Aug.2,3,4 we'll be there with the hydros on the 3rd. Would like to see ya there let me know and we'll run down together I'm in Spingfield.more info go to rumbleontheriver.com
[ July 25, 2002, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: stressedout ]

Hotcrusader76
07-25-2002, 06:30 AM
I do thank every last one of you for your comments on this thread. I am researching the idea thoroughly, in regard to its pros and cons, and have come up with the conclusion that the Fogger nozzles, plumbed into the tunners, are the ticket here; well engineered concept.
Watch out river rats! Here we come... :D
Stay tuned for more...

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2002, 10:14 AM
I read an analogy that I thought was very appropriate over at the Havasu Barney boards....
It went something like........NOS is like Cocaine.......It won't hurt to do a little, the problem is doing a little!

DUCKY
07-30-2002, 03:16 PM
The comment about the bottle pressure dropping as the bottle empties is not true!!! Even an empty bottle has 800+psi!

Hotcrusader76
07-30-2002, 06:57 PM
DUCKY:
The comment about the bottle pressure dropping as the bottle empties is not true!!! Even an empty bottle has 800+psi!That is not correct...
Learn the physical properties of N20 before you comment on that again.
And if you would bet your life on that "belief", I have my black tux ready to go...

BOBALOO
07-31-2002, 01:20 PM
ive been squeezin it (no comment)on a 2 bolt main, oval port head, 454 w/arp rod bolts and forged heavy trw pistons for 4 years.no prob!i do take precautions though.timing is retarded,separate fuel system,(1 gallon cell filled w/high octane)low pressure cutout switch,and i run it a little rich.it is a 150 horse fogger originally installed under a friends tunnel ram.(street racing days)on my old bahner i would get appx,11 mph and 400 rpm out of it.still only went 79.9 on gps DAMN HOOK! reinstalled on 89 hallet 19' but havent been able to get my fat friends out of the boat to test it.

GasTurbine
07-31-2002, 11:25 PM
DUCKY:
The comment about the bottle pressure dropping as the bottle empties is not true!!! Even an empty bottle has 800+psi!No dood.
You need liquid N2O. When your bottle is empty, all you have is gas. This is why serious N2O guys purge their lines before use...to get rid of the gas in the lines.

RumRunner
08-03-2002, 11:05 AM
On some of my drag motors we'd leave the starting line with abour 1100 PSI, and by the end of the 1/4 mile it would be down to 650 !!! You can keep it stable by injecting regulated nitrogen into your nitrous bottles (we do this on land speed records) but it can tear a bunch of stuff up if you're not careful.
Putting a nozzle is MUCH safer since you can adjust the N2O for rich lean cylinders that your engine naturally has.
Doug