PDA

View Full Version : 15/40 rotella oil??

psdperformance
08-11-2005, 08:52 AM
I have owned several diesel trucks and have always run rotella type oil in my motors. My question is this type of oil compatable in gasoline engines as well?
I have always got 300,000 + miles out of the diesels so i figure this oil is very high quality . What do you guys think?
Thanks Chris :D
I am asking if any one has ever used this type of oil in thier JETBOAT ONLY!!!
And what they think about it as i would like to try it if it will not hurt my GASOLINE engine.
Thanks Chris :yuk: :p

psdperformance
08-11-2005, 10:09 AM
So the delo400 and rotella style oils are for low rpm motors only? Would the oil break down in a high rpm application like in our boats and cause internal failure? I currently run 20w 50 valvoline and am thinking of running a staight weight 30. Is there any one running a diesel oil in their motors currently?
Thanks Chris

Captain no fun
08-11-2005, 11:11 AM
The Delo oils have a high zinc content. Zinc is an extreme pressure lubricant, and is beneficial in high pressure/ heat situations. Dave Crower (Crower Cams) advised me via Greens' performance shop, to run it in my boat for these reasons, add the fact that boat motors are always under load, never coasting, and it's a harsh environment. I run Delo 15w40, multi vis. At 240 degrees oil temp, 180 water I still hold 60 PSI @ 5000RPM. The oil pressure falls significantly upon return to idle, I mean down to 20 PSI or so @ 1200. After a cool down, the oil regains it's viscosity, and all is well. I do change my oil once a month during the season though.( Maybe 20 operating hours) The EPA has mandated a reduction of zinc in motor oils for emmisions reasons, however it does not apply to oil designed for running in Diesels, for some reason. That's all I know, and I'm not a know it all. I've heard good thing on Synthetics, and that's what I run in all of my Street engines. ( Mobile 1)

CVX20Dustin
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I second Delo 400 thats all I run in my diesels. I wouldn't put it in my boat. I tried 30 to brake my boat motor in and found that when the motor got hot the oil pressure would drop off, switched to 20 50 no problems.
Dustin

Jet City
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
15w40 diesel oils are known as HDEO oils (heavy duty engine oil), also known as fleet oils, they can and are used in every type of engine that requires motor oil without trouble. They are rated for diesels and have heavier detergents for the diesel environment, they are way overbuilt for a gas engine, thats a good thing. There is much discussion about HDEO's on www.bobistheoilguy.com, I have used Chevron Delo SAE 40wt for years in my jetboat. My take is any HDEO 15w40 will perform great in your hotrod, but don't dare run that 20w50 in a diesel.

Jet City
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM
So the delo400 and rotella style oils are for low rpm motors only? Would the oil break down in a high rpm application like in our boats and cause internal failure? I currently run 20w 50 valvoline and am thinking of running a staight weight 30. Is there any one running a diesel oil in their motors currently?
Thanks Chris
There is no problem with HDEO's for any application, the main differences between your current oil and an HDEO is a better detergent package and viscosity improvers, as to the grade I think you'd be happier with a 40wt, the 20w50 is a 20 weight oil that uses viscosity improvers to act like a 50wt, I have found SAE40wt beats 20w50 for maintaining grade, but I don't feel SAE30wt is heavy enough to take the heat for this application.

malcolm
08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
I went with that Mobil Delvac 15-40 this time around. So far so good.

HammerDown
08-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I went with that Mobil Delvac 15-40 this time around. So far so good.
Been using the above for.....years and years and years!
7.3 Ford

Captain no fun
08-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Ya gotta hit the snohomish with our gaggle of goof offs. Soon, before summer ends!

malcolm
08-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I think moving this thread was a goof up. We were taking about using the diesel oil in our JETBOATS! Get it? :cool:

psdperformance
08-12-2005, 08:33 AM
I was talking about using this oil im my JET BOAT NOT MY TRUCK I DO KNOW THAT I NEED TO RUN DIESL OIL IN MY DIESEL TRUCK PLEASE PUT THIS BACK INTO THE JETBOAT FORUM!!!!!!
Chris :crossx:

Just Tool'n
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
I have allways read & used straight viscocity oil in boats, that multi viscocity oils were not as good for them. I think I read this in a Bob Teague, Teague on Tech in powerboat magazine.
In running diesel's I have allways run Delo, cant go wrong, but I was reading an article the other day from Amsoil, it showed the diffrence from using Amsoil in a diesel vs running delo, it was quite a bit of diffrence.
It's now got me of thinking changing to Amsoil.

HammerDown
08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Again 15/40 in Diesels or actually air cooled V-Twins.
Personally, always straight weight dino in the BBC Jet.
Valvoline VR1 40 or 50 race oil, good stuff!

SmokinLowriderSS
08-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I have allways read & used straight viscocity oil in boats, that multi viscocity oils were not as good for them. I think I read this in a Bob Teague, Teague on Tech in powerboat magazine.
It's now got me of thinking changing to Amsoil.
My boat has never had any trouble with multi-vis oils in her looong history.
Don't know what has been published in places over the years but my father bought our/my 78Taylor SS brand new w/ Indomar 454 (330HP), proceeded to run Mobil 10w-40 in it untill the mid 80's when his division of Getty Gas Gathering was bought by Texaco. He then switched to Havoline Supreme 10w-40. When I started using the boat on my own regularly in the 90's, I would use Castrol 20w-50 when I changed it. After it became mine 2 years ago, I switched to Castrol Syntech 10w-50 pure synthetic (not the blend). The motor was rebuilt last winter only because the upgrade project grew to require it to be done right (arp rod bolts/resize). The crank only needed a light polish, the cylinders were un-worn and required only a light cross-hatch job. The bearings were worn completely out (factory A400 GM's) but the pattern looked a lot like the hammering from a lot of the Nitrous she had digested since '79, the bottom of the mains and top of the rods. The rockers were replaced but only because they were not up to the new cam (old short-groove ones)

BLOWN HOWARD
08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
I run the Delo in my diesel and the whole fleet i maintain wich is about 30 vehicles with diesel and no probs, i used it in a new expedition and it seem to hurt the fuel economy. Went back to the factory recomended 5w-30 and fuel economy went back up.

psdperformance
08-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I really appreciate all of the replies i think i will try the rotella 15/40 in my jetboat and see if i can tell a difference. Please keep this thread strictly to jetboat experiences or it will be moved to the towing section :frown: :frown:
it was already moved once because people talked about their vehicles. :rolleyes:
Thank You, Chris :p

DeputyDawg
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Lots of good motor oil mentioned here, but do yourselves a favor and try some Amsoil products........Awesome!