PDA

View Full Version : New Boat?

Michael Minegar
08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
I just came from looking at what I thought was a Biesmeyer, Revenge or Sprint. I can't believe this boat is in Boise. It is a Shaka hull that was rigged and sold by Steele Marine. It has been in the water 4 times in it's life. Here's what it's got. Casale w/o whirlaway. Driveline with nice cover. It is a 1350 series. Not the driveshaft as they are built today. All plate hardware with dual pedal system. The pedal assy. a little rusted and will have to come apart. Foot throttle. This was a floor mount that somebody mounted on a piece of angle and bolted to the stringer. All cable steering and done right. All drop through steel underwater gear. Fantastic looking plate hardware. Real heavy looking turnbuckle pads and all stainless turnbuckles. Nice stack tank. Anyway, it is a nice looking ride. All white gelcoat that has faded. The floor is balsa wood and it needs buffed or you could flowcoat to make perfect. It looks like boat may have lived outside for a year or so. Trailer is a factory built piece that fit the boat nice but it is high in the air. Looks like springs could be put above axle and lower to make right. V-drive is polished but eveything would have to come out and get annoed to look real sweet. Provisions are for BBC and the rails are for motor only. They do not run up and include the v-drive. My question after all this is about the hull itself. I have never heard of a Shaka. Fill me in please. I need to know if this is a steal. I think it can be bought for somewhere around 3,000.00

dmontzsta
08-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a deal to me. I paid more than that I dont have drop thru skegs, bolsa floor, up pedal or handle. Sounds like a really good deal.

Morg
08-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Got any pics??

Michael Minegar
08-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Morg, I dont have pics yet. I could get them later but I don't know how to post. I could email them i guess to one of you computer wizards. This Shaka thing has me baffled or I would already own it.

superdave013
08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I've never seen any junk built by Steele Marine. If it's a b boat style boat it sounds like a real find.

Morg
08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I would definatly agree with SD about Steele marine. Also sounds like the hardware alone is worth the money.

ssmike
08-11-2005, 12:17 PM
MM -
email the pics to vdriver@yahoo.com

Michael Minegar
08-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Went and got pictures and learned a little more. The boat was manufactured by Riviera Custom in 1988. It was sold to a Michael Byrnes in Phoenix. It ended up at Steele Marine in 1999 and was then sold without motor to another guy. His name was Larry Pegg in Mesa AZ. I will try and email pics to ssmike tonight. I got the guy to say 3800.00 but I was still thinking 3,000. Maybe the Riviera deal will jog some memories. Thanks Mike

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Went and got pictures and learned a little more. The boat was manufactured by Riviera Custom in 1988. It was sold to a Michael Byrnes in Phoenix. It ended up at Steele Marine in 1999 and was then sold without motor to another guy. His name was Larry Pegg in Mesa AZ. I will try and email pics to ssmike tonight. I got the guy to say 3800.00 but I was still thinking 3,000. Maybe the Riviera deal will jog some memories. Thanks Mike
Go to www.superstockracingassoc.com and e-mail Jim Lawrence (SS 56) tell him you need Mike Byrnes phone #.

msmeads1
08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
If it is a Riviera, this hull was very fast BUT very unsafe Hull. Many guys got hurt running these hulls with too much power.
Just my 2 cents, be aware.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
If it is a Riviera, this hull was very fast BUT very unsafe Hull. Many guys got hurt running these hulls with too much power.
Just my 2 cents, be aware.
I don't know Jon, this guy did fairly well...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Max%20Harding.jpg

ssmike
08-11-2005, 07:44 PM
i'm ready for pics

msmeads1
08-11-2005, 08:31 PM
"I don't know Jon, this guy did fairly well..."
Leave it to you Jerry to find that article in HB :smile: I remember that article very well. Forgot the hull was Riveria hull. I remember more about that article being how to run fast with limited funds and good off the self parts.
That boat / hull was a very narrow hull and would have a tendency to get lose on the big end.
I woud love to see some pic's of this hull?
BTW, I am going to try and stop by and see MEL when down your way this weekend.
see ya.
Jon

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
"I don't know Jon, this guy did fairly well..."
Leave it to you Jerry to find that article in HB :smile: I remember that article very well. Forgot the hull was Riveria hull. I remember more about that article being how to run fast with limited funds and good off the self parts.
That boat / hull was a very narrow hull and would have a tendency to get lose on the big end.
I woud love to see some pic's of this hull?
BTW, I am going to try and stop by and see MEL when down your way this weekend.
see ya.
Jon
call me after you see it. :cool:
That was out of a rag Hot Rod mag spun called "Performance Boats", your memory is correct about the article...I'm sure the cruiser pics caught your attention. :D

126driver
08-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Go to www.superstockracingassoc.com and e-mail Jim Lawrence (SS 56) tell him you need Mike Byrnes phone #.
Or PM me yours and I'll pass it along to him.

Michael Minegar
08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I just emailed the pics to SSMike. I did talk to Mike Byrnes last night for about 30 minutes. He remembered the boat and gave me a history lesson on SS to K boats. In his words the boat was given a bad rap. You guys probably know the story. Went over to give the guy back the paperwork on the baot this morning. This guy needs this boat out of his shop bad. Anyway if you have any more questions about it or need other pics, let me know.

superdave013
08-12-2005, 09:32 AM
so are you going to buy this thing or what? If so don't post any pics until it's hooked to the ball of your truck. If you post them before that thing will get snaked out from under you in a heart beat.
Don't think someone could figure out where it is? Ha, someone, some where will. At least that's the way is always seems to work for me.

Michael Minegar
08-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Superman or Dave I mean, I have to keep with my goals. I have a Mastercraft 205 that I want to move. I have not tried at all. This boat is like new with the Vette motor and all the trimmings (boring). I have a 18' Rayson Craft with a 427 Tunnel Port Ford in it. This boat is like new also. The RC has glass tanks that have gone bad. My brother gave me his russell SS tanks out of the Nordskog and now I have to get busy and put them in. This boat does not have but probably 50 hours on it total. I think I would put the tunnel port on ebay and get rid of it that way. The bottom line is I want a river cruiser with a decent ride and maybe 80-90 mph. That Howard on the boards rght now looks real appealing. So if somebody is interested in the circle boat I will probably let them know where it is.

steve d
08-12-2005, 09:43 AM
so are you going to buy this thing or what? If so don't post any pics until it's hooked to the ball of your truck. If you post them before that thing will get snaked out from under you in a heart beat.
Don't think someone could figure out where it is? Ha, someone, some where will. At least that's the way is always seems to work for me.
10-4....Steve

superdave013
08-12-2005, 09:53 AM
ok, so in a nut shell you are not buying it.
Then hell yes, turn someone onto it and post up pics already.
And yes, that 19'er is a nice looking rig.

funnycarmike
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't know Jon, this guy did fairly well...
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/Max%20Harding.jpg
Wow! there is a name I have not heard for a while. Anybody remember when Max Harding ran a blown fuel flat.? Around '81 or '82, I think...boat was called "total insanity" it was a levycraft, true flat. He crashed in it pretty hard, and wrote some articles in boat and engine mag. afterwards. Interesting stuff on flats. vs. runnerbottoms, aerodynamics wetted surface theories etc. Seemed like a pretty sharp guy.

ssmike
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Here we go:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080038.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080039.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080040.jpg

ssmike
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080041.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080042.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080043.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/41P7080044.jpg
Dang.

ssmike
08-12-2005, 02:16 PM
MM - at the price range you were talking about, there might be a whole lot of interest now I am posting these pics... :D
might need to get the ol checkbook out

superdave013
08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
that boat will sell before the weekend is over.

vdriver4ever
08-14-2005, 06:09 AM
This boat is still for sale incase anyone is interested in running up to Boise.

BILLY.B
08-14-2005, 11:37 AM
This boat is still for sale incase anyone is interested in running up to Boise.Can someone pm me the phone # to the guy who has it ????. PLEASE!!!!

vdriver4ever
08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Billy B,
I think my brother Mike is going to make another offer on it Monday? If he doesn't I am sure he will PM you his number or contact information.
Pat

ssmike
08-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Can someone pm me the phone # to the guy who has it ????. PLEASE!!!!
thanks for the call back chief

BILLY.B
08-16-2005, 05:48 AM
thanks for the call back chiefTried to call you back, keep getting " the # your trying reach is out of order".....Sorry "CHIEF" :hammerhea :)

Michael Minegar
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I got a call yesterday morning and the guy asked me to come over to his shop again to look at the boat. I drove over and he hemmed and haahed for an hour. I finally asked him if he was going to take my 3000.00. He said yes. I wrote the check and hauled ass with the boat. This thing is so cool that I cant sell it. I am entering the circle world full bore. I was laughing to myself this morning pulling the boat to work as I thoght "what would a guy spend to go to Needles in 06". I know my brother is spending with Dave Sammons on the Nordskog. Boy is he going to be pissed when I go around the outside of him. I sent pictures from last nights cleaning party in my driveway to SSmike. I sent them one at a time so that's why they probably arent up. BillyB if another one comes along you will be the first call I make...Now I really want to change my stage name and come up with something cool.

Morg
08-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Congrats on the score Mike,
SS- where are the pics??

Terminal Velocity
08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
so Mike, does this mean we're running Pro Stock next year? :crossx: :cool: we've got some spare pro stock stuff laying around in SLC...
looks like a very nice piece, i wonder how close that bottom is to a biesmeyer...or how close we could get it to.
James
SS75

bottom feeder
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Mike,
I doubt you remember me I talked with you some years back (when you moved into your new location) on painting my boat. If you need a hand just say so. Would love to see your new ride in person.
To all circle racers
I have seen first hand the effects of Mike being involved in racing and you will not find a more upstading person than Mr. Minegar.
Best regards
Brian

Terminal Velocity
08-17-2005, 04:17 PM
couldn't agree more bottom, i see Mike and his brother every year in Burley and it's always a pleasure two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. by the way Mike slap-a-ho Les for me! :hammerhea
James

vdriver4ever
08-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Thanks Brian and James,
Mike and I often wonder how we got so wrapped up in Late Model racing and not boat racing after we moved to Idaho. Were pretty excited about the restoration of my Nordskog and now this new ride of Mike's. I think were going to have a little fun with it.

Terminal Velocity
08-18-2005, 07:06 AM
vd4vr- i'm thinking we need to see if your Nordskog can be the pace boat at burley if we have to have one, it should hit 70+, and it won't leave such a huge hole in the water for the racers. Something to think about, or at least i thought about it when i heard you were having it redone.
james

Michael Minegar
08-18-2005, 08:24 AM
James and Brian, Thanks for the compliments. My brother and I are real excited about having some fun in the future. To say we are wrapped up in car racing is an understatement. Pat and I are so stoked about this boat deal just to get our pea brains off of the car racing deal. I can't wait to start building a motor for this thing. James you can see if you have a button or whatever you would call it that goes on the crank to bolt a regular driveline to. and I could use a good circle pan and pickup for it also. Any other parts you might think of. I am not above begging. I'm just kidding. Brian, come by the shop anytime you want. I will have it here for about a week probably. Than I will take it home and get the Rayson out to put gas tanks in it and a 390 ford...gotta sell the tunnel port to build this monster Chevy...

vdriver4ever
08-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Pace boat... wow that sounds like fun. Who knows anything is posible.

Terminal Velocity
08-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike, we'll definately check what we've got. i know i have a full dry sump system...hmmmmmmm :messedup:

Michael Minegar
08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Jimmy, Is the dry sump in good shape? What kind of pump. 3 stage or 4 or 5??? Inquiring minds need to know.

Terminal Velocity
08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
if memory serves me we have 2 Weaver Bros with 3 suction and one pressure, we also have a brand new never used Hamburger full kick out (i think) Aluminum pan and of course Patterson tank.

bottom feeder
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the time out of your busy day to show and discuss your new found ride. When I drove by today it looked like you had it buffed out allready. Hope to see you at the lake.

lindalou
08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Brian, I appreciate you comin by. I love to show it off. Hey don't forget to get me the guys number with the headers and other stuff. And please give me your phone number as I will need some of your expertise. Please come by any time...

lindalou
08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh man I forgat I was using the wifes computer. Please don't call me lindalou.

vdriver4ever
08-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Wow i can't beleive your from the same blood line!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda Lou
Linda Lou
Linda Lou