PDA

View Full Version : surprise-OLDS oiling issues

sdmarkus
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Hello All,
I've about had it with this thing, nothing but problems for the last two seaons. I've got oil coming out of my dipstick tube like no other. I trimmed the end of the tube as one article I read awhile back suggested. I'm thinkin new rings is the only way I'm going to get rid of all this crankcase pressure/blow-by, but I need some reassurances. I don't think the rings ever seated since a scetchy rebuild last year. Am I on the right track? Help, I really don't want to yank the engine but I see no other choice. Thanks for your help.
Mark burningm

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Yup, thats is called crankcase pressure bud. I had it just a few months ago with a fresh rebuild and it is messy. You need to have it honed for the rings you are going to use and do a proper breakin. If you use cast rings, it doesnt take long to seat them in and they work just fine. Do yourself a favor and pull the motor and re do it. You still have plenty of summer days ahead of you. Dont wait until the last minute. If you need more help just give me a holler. I just went through all of the olds bullsh*t.

Rexone
06-20-2003, 05:07 PM
If you have inadequate breathers on the valve covers you will have problems like this. Normal crankcase pressure has to go somewhere. Be sure this is not your problem b4 you tear into it. Just my .02. :)

Moneypitt
06-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Sdmarcus, without being there it's tough to figure why the blow by, but a couple of things to check. do you have a PCV valve on the motor? if not try one. a breather on one cover and a pcv valve to manifold vacuum on the other. It will help evac the pressure in the pan. second, run a comp test to pin down any cylinders that are low, and suspect. A friend with an olds jet had some of the same problems, he replaced the head bolts and the problem went away, he was leaking between cylinders, causing all sorts of problems. My olds hydro, with breathers only, has a little spotting on the transum after a hard run, nothing I can't live with though. If it gets worse, I'll PCV valve it. Try it before you tear it down, you might get thru the summer......Moneypitt