PDA

View Full Version : Duramax 4x4 owners

No Regrets
08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Check this out- Ive got a 05 short bed 4x4 w/ no lift & 285/17's. Front torsion bars cranked just enough to clear the tires- thats it.
When rollin down the freeway at lets say 60-70 (not towing) & hit a good sized bump or bridge in freeway, the front end pogo's and hops so bad that it will lock up the seat belt. Hops probably 3-5 times before it mellows out. When towing back form LHC, it pogo'd the nose of my boat so hard it snapped the bow hook of the strap. My buddy has the same exact truck & setup & he gets the same effect. Im wondering does the diesel motor weigh more than gas because I had a 02 gas extra cab, long box & never had this happen?
Anyone else experience this and please let me know what you did to fix. I'd rather not lift it as its my everyday driver.
Ive heard to try the following:
1- replace the front shocks
2-add different rear shackles (satin) w/ plastic pivot bushings
3- add rear air bags
Thanks in advance.
B

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Should have bought a ford!!!!!

BoatFloating
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
At least the truck still runs unlike a Ford....

Deano
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
its the angle on your steering arms. I was replacing my idler and pitmans every 5k miles. Fabtech finally came out with rebuildable idler/pitmans and are pretty beefy. The kit also comes with a steering stabilizer that is relocated.
They also have an upgrade for your steering balljoints.
Eventhough I friggin hate Fabtech. their upgrades are resonably priced and will fix your problem.

Deano
08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I just read that it is an 05. Go get it fixed under warranty. Its the idler and pitman arms. better lower it back down before you go...

No Regrets
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I just read that it is an 05. Go get it fixed under warranty. Its the idler and pitman arms. better lower it back down before you go...
I dont think its anything specific w/ just my truck. Ive heard they all do this even without messin w/ tors bars and it did from day one.

NuckinFutz
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Either a good aftermarket steering stabilizer or better yet a dual kit would probably help a bunch. Don't own a Chev, but have experienced similar situation with other brands and the steering shock always proved to be the culprit.

No Regrets
08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Shouldnt you be eating a salad or something?

djunkie
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Mine does this also on certain bumps and it is bone stock. I heard that the H2 hummer front shocks work well on the front end. Either that or invest in some nice Bilsteins.

bajabri
08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
When you tighten the torsion bars you take them out of their designed range of motion coupled with the added weight of the motor...with the stock skocks still installed this will cause a problem. I think you will find that they also hit the bumps stops at the bottom of their travel. Using after market shocks help because they have increased rebound dampening as well as increased valving capabilities.
With the aftermarket lift and shocks the lower control arms are dropped increasing the travel...tightening the torsion bars at this point wont have the affect that it does in the stock configuration...this is my opinion after many years of working w/lifted trucks (all brands)
Hope this helps...... :cool:

No Regrets
08-11-2005, 12:56 PM
When you tighten the torsion bars you take them out of their designed range of motion coupled with the added weight of the motor...with the stock skocks still installed this will cause a problem. I think you will find that they also hit the bumps stops at the bottom of their travel. Using after market shocks help because they have increased rebound dampening as well as increased valving capabilities.
With the aftermarket lift and shocks the lower control arms are dropped increasing the travel...tightening the torsion bars at this point wont have the affect that it does in the stock configuration...this is my opinion after many years of working w/lifted trucks (all brands)
Hope this helps...... :cool:
Will just shock replacement work?
Or Do I need to lift it as well?

djunkie
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Will just shock replacement work?
Or Do I need to lift it as well?
I would try shocks. I'm gonna put some bilsteins on soon to try and help the ride. A lift shouldn't be neccesary unless you want it bigger.

bajabri
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
A good set of shocks will help...there are many brands, I have had the best luck with adjustables...you can tailor your ride for towing, hauling or running empty. They also make lower profile bump stops for the control arms, this helps with the bottoming of the control arms
Towing with increased tongue weight adds to this problem also...

BAD ATTITUDE BOATS
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
put some kings on it and be done with it the first time.steering stable would be a good up grade but thats not your problum.

OLDRAT
08-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Just as a note, Bilsteins have come out with a 2" longer shock for you
guys with lifts.
OR

sigepmock
08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
put some kings on it and be done with it the first time.steering stable would be a good up grade but thats not your problum.
Like this?????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495100_0124-med.JPG
I have the exact same truck and the stock shocks are junk!!! Get a set of the adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks or the Bilstein 5100 and you'll be very happy. By cranking the torsion bars you effectively moved the shocks out of their normal riding position and that is where the bounce is coming from. I think I have the Bilstein part #'s here somewhere if you need them.
Let me know,
Chris
On a side note the steering pitman and idler arm upgrades are not a bad idea. Fabtech's part are OK but I like the Cognito Motorsports upgrades better. They double capture the steering links versus the stock single shear connection and this really helps control the vibration and accelerated wear.

Dave C
08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
there is a kit to do this same exact thing you describe. It includes a rear block, a "key" for the torsions, PLUS it comes with aftermarket Bilstein shocks.
so it sounds like your missing one key part! The shocks. While I am not certain, the stock shocks might be the wrong length now.
I am gonna probably do the same thing but I am getting all the stuff together in the kit.
Those stock shocks suck anyway.
good luck.
Check this out- Ive got a 05 short bed 4x4 w/ no lift & 285/17's. Front torsion bars cranked just enough to clear the tires- thats it.
When rollin down the freeway at lets say 60-70 (not towing) & hit a good sized bump or bridge in freeway, the front end pogo's and hops so bad that it will lock up the seat belt. Hops probably 3-5 times before it mellows out. When towing back form LHC, it pogo'd the nose of my boat so hard it snapped the bow hook of the strap. My buddy has the same exact truck & setup & he gets the same effect. Im wondering does the diesel motor weigh more than gas because I had a 02 gas extra cab, long box & never had this happen?
Anyone else experience this and please let me know what you did to fix. I'd rather not lift it as its my everyday driver.
Ive heard to try the following:
1- replace the front shocks
2-add different rear shackles (satin) w/ plastic pivot bushings
3- add rear air bags
Thanks in advance.
B

riverracerx
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I think the driver needs to eat a salad or two! :D

H20 Toie
08-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Go to Big John's in Valencia, they fixed the ride on my buddy's 04 chevy.

advantage21
08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
if anyone is interested i have a set of 9000 ranchos for an hd with up to a 4in lift maybe 3thousand miles on them tops sittin in the garage let me know or pm me.

the_gray_goose
08-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Dumb ass!!
It is that big box of money you have in the back. Baller!!!!
That thing in tail heavy.

Ivan Dan
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
What you are experiencing has nothing to do with idler arm or pitman arm. Although as others have noted Chevy's are notorious for blowing those out along with ball joints as well.
You need more rebound control (shock) in the front. Getting an aftermarket shock like a Bilstein should cure your problem.

MagicMtnDan
08-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Crankin' your torsion bars will do that to an IFS truck :squiggle:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-11-2005, 07:51 PM
YA! :D

jstwkd
08-11-2005, 08:15 PM
The shocks in the newer trucks(GM) are shorter than earlier years.Change out the front shocks.....It has nothing to do with the idler or pitman arm.....Sorry I didnt read every post but you should also get the torsion keys if you dont want to run a lift to raise the front end....

sigepmock
08-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Here's the part #'s for the 2" longer Bilsteins
the front is BE5-6140-T5
rear lifted 2" is BE5-6249-H5
Chris

bscotti
08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
My '02 did the same thing. Upgraded to Bilsteins and the problem is now gone.

No Regrets
08-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Watch it pal, Ive seen what fatherhood has done to your 5 foot 2 frame :D

No Regrets
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Dumb ass!!
It is that big box of money you have in the back. Baller!!!!
That thing in tail heavy.
Just tryin to keep up w/ Lisa F-29!

No Regrets
08-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Just put KYB gas shocks on all four corners and I think its fixed. Gonna try towin, but I think she's good. Thanks for all your help except for RRX, Gooser, & Foaata- you 3 can have salad bar on me.