PDA

View Full Version : What's your definition of Custom Boat?

BoaterX
05-05-2006, 05:33 PM
These days "Custom Boat" is thrown around pretty loosely and it seems that "Custom Boat" many times simply means "High Performance", "Hand Laminated" boat and not off an assembly line. I want to know what makes your boat custom?
It seems from builder to builder, the hardware and parts all come from the same places (i.e. Merc Power Plants, Dana Hardware, Eddie Marine Hardware, etc.). Many manufacturers even use the same Gelcoat patterns and just change the color up. Does that still make it custom? The definition of custom is "built to individual specifications" (http://www.meriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary), yet many builders give you a list of hardware options and gelcoat deisgns that are actually just "standard options". A buddy of mine asked to move the location of speaker locations and the builder said nope, that was not an option. Just standard setup.
Now, before all the cheerleaders jump on this thread and say their builder is truly custom or better than others....
1) Tell us what you got on your boat that is truly unique
2) Who the builder is.
3) Give the rest of us something we can use to agree that your rig truly is custom and different from the standard Dana or Eddie Marine hardware and other items..

cc322
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
No good answers... Custom is just a fancy term used buy the builder to charge three times more. :rollside:

phebus
05-05-2006, 06:42 PM
It's all semantics, but to me a custom boat is one that you can go to the builder and choose your own graphics, and spec. out how you want the boat rigged out (i.e. engine, drive, choice of instruments, billet accesories, interior design, etc.)

KineticoH20
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
It's all semantics, but to me a custom boat is one that you can go to the builder and choose your own graphics, and spec. out how you want the boat rigged out (i.e. engine, drive, choice of instruments, billet accesories, interior design, etc.)
What he said.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-05-2006, 10:19 PM
This subject usually turns into a heated debate with hurt feelings in the Sandbar.
For the record, our boat is not custom.

djunkie
05-06-2006, 01:51 AM
My boat is custom cause it says so in its name. :crossx: :crossx:

phebus
05-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Nowadays, "custom" means you get to pick what shade of orange you want your boat. :)