PDA

View Full Version : motor advice

Essex29
08-13-2005, 11:15 AM
What would you guys do?
I am planning on building a new boat hopefully in fall/winter and need some motor advice..
Option A
Take the hp500 efi out of my current boat and replace it with a carb 540 merlin block that was just rebuilt with all of the best parts..J & E pistons, Scorpion roller rocker arms,lunati cam, ported aluminum merlin heads, given a 5 angle valve job, magnaflux and polish crank, scat h-beam rodshi volume mellings oil pump.
Option B
Freshen up the hp 500 and use it in the new boat
What are the pros and cons in either scenerio?

cdog
08-13-2005, 11:23 AM
What would you guys do?
I am planning on building a new boat hopefully in fall/winter and need some motor advice..
Option A
Take the hp500 efi out of my current boat and replace it with a carb 540 merlin block that was just rebuilt with all of the best parts..J & E pistons, Scorpion roller rocker arms,lunati cam, ported aluminum merlin heads, given a 5 angle valve job, magnaflux and polish crank, scat h-beam rodshi volume mellings oil pump.
Option B
Freshen up the 500efi. Mabey put some better heads on and do the little things. The worst part about driving 4-5 hours to the lake is when you have to work on your boat instead of enjoying it. EFI is the way to go.

Essex29
08-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Freshen up the 500efi. Mabey put some better heads on and do the little things. The worst part about driving 4-5 hours to the lake is when you have to work on your boat instead of enjoying it. EFI is the way to go.
Can I use the heads that I had ported off of the 540 on the hp500?

cdog
08-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Can I use the heads that I had ported off of the 540 on the hp500?
You can use them. But they may not be the right one to get max power out of your engine. I lost 65 HP with the wrong heads before.

BrendellaJet
08-13-2005, 02:21 PM
The worst part about driving 4-5 hours to the lake is when you have to work on your boat instead of enjoying it. EFI is the way to go.
Thats funny, a buddy of mine bought a new boat about two years ago from a popular west coast builder with one of those EFi motors you talk about(496 HO). Nothing but problems and YOU CANT WORK ON THEM! Just my opinion.

Infomaniac
08-13-2005, 02:27 PM
What would you guys do?
Option A
Option B
Trade in the HP500 EFI engine to me and I can build you a very nice replacement engine. I would like to put a HP500 EFI in Mrs. Infomaniac's Ultra

Essex29
08-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Trade in the HP500 EFI engine to me and I can build you a very nice replacement engine. I would like to put a HP500 EFI in Mrs. Infomaniac's Ultra
That sounds expensive :(
pm me some ideas to mull over :D

Essex29
08-13-2005, 09:59 PM
ttt

fourspeednup
08-14-2005, 09:24 PM
ttt
Hey Tarek whats happening man hope you're doin OK? What are you gonna build? How goes the essex sale? :)