PDA

View Full Version : Any Subaru WRX Owners ?

Hallett19
08-13-2005, 11:48 AM
if so, give me the lay down on them.
I'm looking at an 04, 5 spd Wagon.
I've only driven an automatic so I dont know how the shifter feels on the stick. Any input would be appreciated.

Tom Brown
08-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Apparently, STV_Keith blows away WRX-STi with his 7000 lb pickup truck.
They seem pretty sweet to me, though. I briefly test drove one about a year ago and had no problems with the manual. I'm pretty tall and the shifter was in a good spot with nice short throw.
Why don't you take one for a spin?

sigepmock
08-13-2005, 12:01 PM
My younger brother has WRX wagon with the manual tranny. I'm 6'-2" and it fit nicely, the shifter was tight and precise, hauled butt and was a blast to drive. Could've used a little more headroom but overall nice car. He's had zero problems with it except worn out tires :D
Chris

Boozer
08-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Is it a standard WRX or an STI?
I test drove the standard WRX when they first released it and was not impressed with the power at all. I've driven 1.8T Jettas that seemed more responsive then the WRX.
The other thing that concerned me about the WRX is how the engine is laid out. It's not a very friendly lay our for the enthusiast who likes to turn his own wrenches and add more power.
If it is an STI however, I can not give you any feed back since I have never driven one.
If you're just looking for a grocery getter that has a little more juice then a Honda then the WRX might be a good option. However, if you intend to make it flat out haul ass then try finding a good deal on an EVO. Guys are getting the EVO's into the 11's on stock turbo and intercooler.

RiverOtter
08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't own one but do know the dealer really well. I asked him about the durability of the motor and turbos. He said no problems there BUT they have to replace the transmissions in the WRX often. NOT the WRX SI. Apparently it has titanium parts and can handle the abuse.

dicudmore
08-13-2005, 12:37 PM
my brother loves his 02 WRX wagon (5-spd)
he traded in a clean 99 Z-28 6-spd to buy it :squiggle:

totenhosen
08-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Is it a standard WRX or an STI?
I'm assuming since it is a wagon that it is not an STI.
The car is a dog on the low end. Build quality is average on it as well.

Slib77
08-13-2005, 01:24 PM
I used to have an 02. I loved it. I drove that thing up a curb one night when I put it in a 4 wheel power slide. I was amazed at the fact that I did not bend or break anything. They are good cars. You can really open them up as well. The car has 3 cats. 1 on the up-pipe, 1 on the down pipe and 1 on the exhaust. You can really get them to spool up quicker by removing the 2. Check out www.perrinperformance.com.
Sorry Boozer gonna have to disagree with the Jetta comment, something about a German car built in Mexico does not sound right. A 2.0l turbo will pull the VW 1.8t all day long. I just think the 1.8t has a little less lag.
Hallett let me know. I think I still have a couple of goodies left over.
The Subie has one of the sweetest sounding exhuast sounds there is. The boxer four is a sweet engine.
The car does miss a little in the interior aspect.
They are also great in the snow. Traction all day long.
Hope this helps.

Cole Trickle
08-13-2005, 02:50 PM
In stock form they are pretty boring and un exciting.I test drove a WRX and a Dodge SRT-4 and left the dealership with the Dodge for my girlfriend.(The WRX is slow compared to the SRT)
With an upgraded wheel/tire combo and with springs and thicker sway bars the car is pretty impressive around corners.I have driven cars that were set up for both under/over steer and really preffere the car that pushed a little going thru turns.
Unless you upgrade intake/exhaust/downpipe/engine managment you won't win any races.
Like stated above the STI is a completely different monster and the wagon would be bitchin if it was ever offered with the upgraded motor and the extra boost.
Go drive one with the 5spd.

Slib77
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
In stock form they are pretty boring and un exciting.I test drove a WRX and a Dodge SRT-4 and left the dealership with the Dodge for my girlfriend.(The WRX is slow compared to the SRT)
With an upgraded wheel/tire combo and with springs and thicker sway bars the car is pretty impressive around corners.I have driven cars that were set up for both under/over steer and really preffere the car that pushed a little going thru turns.
Unless you upgrade intake/exhaust/downpipe/engine managment you won't win any races.
Like stated above the STI is a completely different monster and the wagon would be bitchin if it was ever offered with the upgraded motor and the extra boost.
Go drive one with the 5spd.
An STi wagon would be cool. They are available overseas.
The STi is a mean car. Rally in and out.
The SRT's are pretty cool. Too bad they are not AWD.

Kilrtoy
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I'll stay out of this one for Hallet19's sake.... :2purples:

Hallett19
08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks Kilr ;) I think....
I need to get a test drive of the 5spd, I just wanted some feedback from those "in the know". I have a cabin in big bear I go to a few times a year, so I need the AWD and didnt want another suv, my tow vehicle is 2wd. I need the wagon for the extra space and roof rack for board racks, etc. Trust me, the STI looks like a much hotter ride and I know the stock WRX wont be much of a stoplight racer, but it gets better gas mileage than what I have now and a lot more fun to throw around turns :D
Thanks for the responses, as always, I appreciate it all !

Outnumbered
08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
When I lived in Arrowhead I had a few Subies. They are bullet proof cars. They kick ass in the snow and ice and handle the mountain roads well. I have owned Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, Chevys, Dodges, etc and I think the quality of the Subaru is up on top with Toyota and superior to Honda. Dodge is not even close. My parents have a Legacy with 175k that has never had anything done to it other than brakes, tune ups, and oil changes.
Subarus are good cars and I would not hesitate to buy another.

Ziggy
08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Since I'm a Saab pimp as much as a BMW pimp, take a look at Saab's 9-2x model. It is the WRX AWD wagon with a slightly redesigned front sheet metal(aka brand re-engineered) package...Better looking front end , improved sound insulation, leather seating and free factory maintanence. Offered in turbo and non-turbo models.
Stick model rocks, auto a bit slower to get up and going...although I hear that is to change for 06 models with some trany changes/upgrades.
9-2x info (http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/92x/index.jsp)
They also fall into GM's employee pricing deal..... :wink:

Hallett19
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
I actually drove a 9-2x Zig, it was an Auto and I didnt really like it, it handles well, but I like the subie more, looks wise and price wise, although the discount plus rebates, the saab was less than 20k..... hmmmm :jawdrop:

mbrown2
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Just looked at that and that is a pretty sick deal...27K sticker but with GM pricing 20K....wow.
Since I'm a Saab pimp as much as a BMW pimp, take a look at Saab's 9-2x model. It is the WRX AWD wagon with a slightly redesigned front sheet metal(aka brand re-engineered) package...Better looking front end , improved sound insulation, leather seating and free factory maintanence. Offered in turbo and non-turbo models.
Stick model rocks, auto a bit slower to get up and going...although I hear that is to change for 06 models with some trany changes/upgrades.
9-2x info (http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/92x/index.jsp)
They also fall into GM's employee pricing deal..... :wink:

STV_Keith
08-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Apparently, STV_Keith blows away WRX-STi with his 7000 lb pickup truck.
Geez, Tom, you didn't have to rub that in though. I always say sorry when I'm done with them. :hammer2:

Ziggy
08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I actually drove a 9-2x Zig, it was an Auto and I didnt really like it, it handles well, but I like the subie more, looks wise and price wise, although the discount plus rebates, the saab was less than 20k..... hmmmm :jawdrop:
The auto trans does the car no justice....... :notam: But like I said I hear the 06 will have made some improvements for the lag.

Ziggy
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Just looked at that and that is a pretty sick deal...27K sticker but with GM pricing 20K....wow.
When that GM pricing deal started up we sold a crap load of those models and basically sold out of them real quick...had to go off and buy them from other places just to have some inventory...especially the turbo models. Real fun little car to drive and handles likes its got bubblegum for tires...sticks like a mofo :D

Hallett19
08-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Zig, you work at a Saab dealer ? Checking those cars out, they are hot man, good lookin' for sure all gussied up. Let me know, maybe we could work something out. Thanks :D

ROZ
08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey Zig, you work at a Saab dealer ?
I think it's pretty safe to say Zig works at a Saab dealer... :D

Wakker
08-18-2005, 12:37 AM
WRX's don't make any power without a turbo upgrade. EVO's torch clutches. Besides the STI, they ALL break the front diff when you start making decent power. The STI is pimp though. 6 speed, adjustable front/rear tq bias, 2.5L motor vs 2.0L and it sounds wicked and hauls ass stock and seems to be built a little tougher to boot. What you may want to look into is the Legacy GT... Its a little more family sedan lookin' BUT it has the same 2.5L motor as the STI but with a slightly smaller turbo (less lag) and a 5 speed. My buddy has one. We installed up pipe, down pipe, and he got the Cobb's stage 2 tuning. It makes AWESOME torque and tears up STI's all day long.. 270 AWHP..