PDA

View Full Version : Do you still smoke? Does anyone you love smoke?

MagicMtnDan
08-13-2005, 02:37 PM
It's been a tough week due to lung cancer (Peter Jennings and Barbara Bel Geddes died from it and Dana Reeve announced she has it).
Do you or anyone you love still smoke cigarettes? (http://www.yulbrynnerfoundation.org/psa.htm)

Creator
08-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Dana Reeves has never smoked, What a bummer.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I just quit on wednesday. So far so good. :crossx:

Miss Perfect
08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I just quit on wednesday. So far so good. :crossx:
Good job! :)

diggler
08-13-2005, 02:46 PM
It's been six weeks for me so far... still hanging in there.
My grandpa died before I was born (he was only 48) from smoking. My dad had six-way bypass heart surgery seven weeks ago (he is 65) and he doesn't smoke. It made me realize I'm highly likely to kick the bucket at a young age (I'm 35 now). So I decided, **** it. It's time after 19 years to quit it for good.
I'm now on the 14mg nicoderm patch stage, thank god for these shitty little stickers that make your dreams all jacked up!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm going cold turkey. I have high blood pressure and am only 34 :notam: Gotta quit!

Angry Inch
08-13-2005, 02:52 PM
3+ years here. I'm still smoking them tweeds though.

H20 Party Starter
08-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Do you still smoke? Does anyone you love smoke?
Not cigarettes :wink:

Cole Trickle
08-13-2005, 02:53 PM
I applaud all of the quitters!
We just had a very close family friend pass away from a heart attack.
43 years old and smoked since he was 16

Angry Inch
08-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I applaud all of the quitters!
We just had a very close family friend pass away from a heart attack.
43 years old and smoked since he was 16
Sorry to hear.

Mrs. casean
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
My brother and uncle do :confused: I really wish they'd stop! This has really been an eye-opening week for then I hope!

MOBrien
08-13-2005, 03:13 PM
It's been six weeks for me so far... still hanging in there.
My grandpa died before I was born (he was only 48) from smoking. My dad had six-way bypass heart surgery seven weeks ago (he is 65) and he doesn't smoke. It made me realize I'm highly likely to kick the bucket at a young age (I'm 35 now). So I decided, **** it. It's time after 19 years to quit it for good.
I'm now on the 14mg nicoderm patch stage, thank god for these shitty little stickers that make your dreams all jacked up!
Diggler,
You and I are pretty much in the same boat on this one....no pun intended. :D I'm gonna be 34 next month and been smokin since I was like 15. I need to stop this crap, but I just can't seem to kick it cold turkey. DO THOSE PATCHES REALLY WORK??? Also, wish you and I had a chance to meet at B2B...I was riding with Tony (Jetboatguru) in his Mach26 for Saturdays radar runs. That weekend was a blast & your boat looks real good!
Late,
MOB

Slib77
08-13-2005, 03:22 PM
It'll be a year for me on Oct.18.(cigs)
I watched my uncle pass away right in front of me on Oct.12 in his home,from lung cancer.
My dad has a brain tumor and can no longer walk, but thank got he is still alive. They say it could have been from all the years of smoking.
My little brother and his wife smoke. They have a 17 month old baby. I wish they would stop. I don't want their son to go through the same thing.
Peace.
Have a great weekend.

Slib77
08-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Diggler,
You and I are pretty much in the same boat on this one....no pun intended. :D I'm gonna be 34 next month and been smokin since I was like 15. I need to stop this crap, but I just can't seem to kick it cold turkey. DO THOSE PATCHES REALLY WORK??? Also, wish you and I had a chance to meet at B2B...I was riding with Tony (Jetboatguru) in his Mach26 for Saturdays radar runs. That weekend was a blast & your boat looks real good!
Late,
MOB
I finally kicked my habit with the patch. Nicoderm CQ.

MAINEVENT
08-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Yup still puffing i had quit for like months and hit some hard times and started again :eat:

Big Kahunaa
08-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Diggler,
You and I are pretty much in the same boat on this one....no pun intended. :D I'm gonna be 34 next month and been smokin since I was like 15. I need to stop this crap, but I just can't seem to kick it cold turkey. DO THOSE PATCHES REALLY WORK???
Late,
MOB
i dont know about the patches but have heard good things about the lazer treatment on my way soone

azgfboatgirl
08-13-2005, 03:36 PM
i dont know about the patches but have heard good things about the lazer treatment on my way soone
Is that like SHOCK THERAPY? :idea:

ROZ
08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
My father just had the fem pop (femoral artery bypass) surgery 2 weeks ago. Surgeon didn't think they were going to be able to restore bloodflow to his right foot, and he was 90% certain he was going to amputate my dad's leg at the knee. The look on my dad's face was the, "my god what have I done to myself", look. After 2.5 hours of emergency (1am-3:30am) surgery, the Dr. was elated to report that the surgery restored a strong pulse to his right foot(good bloodflow). Now we wait to see what tissue(if any) has died as a result of no bloodflow and has to be removed. While he was in the hospital, my siblings and I paid to have his car and house detailed and disinfected so the smell of cigar smoke wouldn't iniciate the need to smoke...
Hopefully this is the moment HE desides to change his habits... He's doing good so far, and lets us know it. :)
I've seen cancer and emphesema patients remove nasal canulas and oxygen masks to lite up while on roof top patient areas at hospitals. It's sad to see what they do to satisfy the craving.

Big Kahunaa
08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Is that like SHOCK THERAPY? :idea:
from what i understand is they use a lazer insted of needles

Tom Brown
08-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Your Dad has my best wishes, ROZ. :)

mirvin
08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
WHat about cars!! They kill lots of people every year. Same with liquer. Everything in moderation I guess.
Except guns.....guns never killed no one......
mirvin :jawdrop:

ROZ
08-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Laser treatment? Please elaborate...

ROZ
08-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Your Dad has my best wishes, ROZ. :)
Thanks Tom, the family appreciates it :)

Big Kahunaa
08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Laser treatment? Please elaborate...
From what i understand they use pressure points and zap them with a lazer instead on needles. I have a freind of a freind that got it done and dove to washington from las vegas with no stops and never had a urge to smoke.

diggler
08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Diggler,
Late,
MOB
Hey MOB. Yep, the patches work, but it still sucks.... The first two weeks were utter hell. Fortunately, I was able to get through it. Now, the urge is still there, but a hell of a lot weaker. I've taken a bunch of pens and disassembled them so I just have the small tube. Then, I've taken some cotten balls and stuffed a little bit in there. Ouila! Instant cigarette pacifier! Odd as it may sound, it actually works!

Mrs.Racer277
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Diggler,
Late,
MOB
I hear Laser treatment is the way to go. I have heard great results.
I had no luck with the patches myself. :(

Rexone
08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm going cold turkey. I have high blood pressure and am only 34 :notam: Gotta quit!
My brother quit CT about 30 years ago and never touched another cig so don't give up. It can be done with enough mental power.
I feel somewhat lucky to have never smoked myself at this point.

Rexone
08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I will just leave that comment alone. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732cow.jpg

gqchris
08-17-2005, 01:09 AM
I quit in January cold turkey. Been smoking since I was 18 (menthols), and I am now 31. One of my main reasons was the cost of it!! I did the math, and i was up to like 1 1/2 packs a day. Thats like 7 bucks just to smoke every day. I figured I was spending at LEAST 200 bucks a month on smokes. (not including the late nights out when u smoke 2 packs!) I started equating that to a payment for a new toy! :messedup:
I will say though, I do miss those "smokes" we all love. The after dinner, after sex, perfect run on glass-water cigarettes. I still see people driving and light up, my brain automatically after 9 months reaches for that pack! People who dont smoke dont realize that each day is a struggle. I quit after I had a bad cold, u know, when u dont feel like touching a cigarette when your throat is soar. That seemed to get me over the hump. Good luck to anyone just starting. Dont go out and drink the first three weeks, you will fall off the wagon. I have survived three river trips so far without 1 smoke! Tempted OH YES, but I know I would never quit again!! ;)

RiverRatMike
08-17-2005, 05:01 AM
I smoke and I'm not quiting. I get my smokes for $15 a carton. It's not expensive if you know were to look

Lightning
08-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I quit in January cold turkey. Been smoking since I was 18 (menthols), and I am now 31. One of my main reasons was the cost of it!! I did the math, and i was up to like 1 1/2 packs a day. Thats like 7 bucks just to smoke every day. I figured I was spending at LEAST 200 bucks a month on smokes. (not including the late nights out when u smoke 2 packs!) I started equating that to a payment for a new toy! :messedup:
I will say though, I do miss those "smokes" we all love. The after dinner, after sex, perfect run on glass-water cigarettes. I still see people driving and light up, my brain automatically after 9 months reaches for that pack! People who dont smoke dont realize that each day is a struggle. I quit after I had a bad cold, u know, when u dont feel like touching a cigarette when your throat is soar. That seemed to get me over the hump. Good luck to anyone just starting. Dont go out and drink the first three weeks, you will fall off the wagon. I have survived three river trips so far without 1 smoke! Tempted OH YES, but I know I would never quit again!! ;)
I have not had one since November of last year. I figured if I could make it through river season and OP6 without having one, I would be in good shape. So far so good. I've been tempted; long drives to the river, late night drunk with everyone around me smoking, the after meal cigarette urge, etc... I look at it this way; "who has the more power, me or the smokes?" So far it's been me.

Vada
08-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I have quit smoking for the most part for almost 4 years now.
But the only smokes I cannot give up for the life of me is when I'm drinking.
No matter what, I can't pass up smoking once I'm feeling buzzed. I can go literally months without a smoke but as soon as I have about 3-4 beers, thats it! Smoke time.
And if I have a good night of drinking, I can go through a pack no problem. :(

andy01
08-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Roz sorry to hear about your dad man. That is a tough deal to go through.
I have quit smoking 6 times in the last two years. I had a health deal (drinking and smoking) that landed me in the hospital on the way home from the river. My doctor told me (at 30) to stop smoking, drinking, drinking soda and all kinds of other stuff. That I had really jacked myself up with smoking and drinking. I quit everthing for a week then. But man no beer, no soda and no smokes. I couldn't live with myself. I gave up beer after about 8 months of a few here and there. I no longer have the urge to party or drink at all. I can stand around and watch everybody party now and it has no effect on me. I quit smoking last Wed again then smoked a pack between Saturday and Sunday. I quit again yesterday. I have been able to do everything else but smoking is the hardest for me. I am going to stick with it this time. I have quit for 3 weeks several times. But always go back. I am going to stick with it though. It is the hardest thing for me to do. My wife gets all over my shit when I go back, but if you never smoked man you have no idea what it is like. One thing that has helped me out a lot is I bought new cars again this year and when I did that I said I wouldn't smoke in them. I haven't smoked in my truck or Tahoe this year. So when I drive I no longer have the urge. It is tough. Good luck and congrats to all who have quit, I am on my way to feeling better and living a longer life. Oh and the patch works, just put that bitch on as soon you get out of the shower in the moring. I don't sleep with mine on, I can't take the dreams, some wierd shit.
Andy

superdave013
08-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Mayby seeing a face of a fellow boater might help you smokers who are trying to quit. And who knows, might just help you smokers who are not quitting change your mind.
My best friend died of lung cancer. He had for kids at the time with ages ranging from 2 to 9 years old. Now they don't have a dad. :(
RIP Jerry!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48JerryMAC-med.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
08-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Glad I never even started.

Lightning
08-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I've seen cancer and emphesema patients remove nasal canulas and oxygen masks to lite up while on roof top patient areas at hospitals. It's sad to see what they do to satisfy the craving.
They probably think "at this point, eff it, what good does it do to quit?"