PDA

View Full Version : TERROR at the Gas Pump

burtandnancy
08-13-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking the bad guys may be beating us at our own gas pumps. Its not even Labor Day yet but prices across the country are at record highs. At tourist locations (especially where boaters go) its going to be a shocker. Even so, I hear boats sales are still strong as well as SUV's and trucks. As someone said once, "what a country"

Mandelon
08-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Somethings gotta give..... I just keep raising my prices to keeep up with costs......but folks keep signing contracts...... :messedup:

CA Stu
08-13-2005, 06:05 PM
High related to what?
I reckon, adjusted for inflation, gas was more expensive in the 70's?
Thanks
CA Stu

burtandnancy
08-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Good point Stu. Since the 70's, gas has only tripled or quadrupled. A gallon of water is up about 100 times,(if you drink from a bottle like all my grandkids insist is the only way) and my house is up about 6 times. The only thing that is not up by those multipliers is my social security.

Throttle
08-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I really had thought we would have felt this increase earlier in the summer. LOL, it is here just in time before labor day weekend... One last big weekend before the demand drops off for a while. :hammer2:

Kilrtoy
08-13-2005, 07:43 PM
The only thing up is the companies PROFITS...
Cuz my pay check has only slightly adjusted and is still below the cost of living and my wallet has adjusted to EMPTY...

bchbum
08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
My pay is going down , my work wants us to take a pay cut & 2 weeks off no pay per year . Oh they also gave themselves a raise & 5 extra days off with pay a year . these are the people that put us in the red by $ 105,000,000.00 yea they earned it .You gotta love local govt.

Not So Fast
08-14-2005, 12:54 PM
High related to what?
Thanks
CA Stu
BULL S--T reasoning !!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: NSF

TCHB
08-14-2005, 01:21 PM
(Washington, D.C.) – Domestic petroleum companies have stuck U.S. gasoline and natural gas consumers with about $250 billion in price hikes since January 2000, resulting in an increase in after-tax windfall profits of $50 to $80 billion to the industry, a report released today by the Consumer Federation of America and Consumers Union concluded. The groups are calling on federal and state authorities to investigate oil company price manipulation as one way to bring prices down to more reasonable levels in the near terms and a strong commitment to increased fuel efficiency in the automobile fleet for the long term.
The report, entitled Fueling Profits: Industry Consolidation, Excess Profits & Federal Neglect, Domestic Causes of Recent Gasoline and Natural Gas Price Shocks, shows While OPEC has taken a bite out of consumer’ pocketbooks, domestic companies have taken about three quarters of the price increases since January 2000. The report attributes about half of the price increases to changes in domestic pricing behavior that was created by a wave of mergers that swept through the industry in the past decade.
“The industry became concentrated in the hands of a few vertically integrated companies and allowed domestic oil companies shut down refineries, reduce stocks, and exploit markets when they become tight,” said Mark Cooper, CFA’s Director of Research. “Since these price increases were about padding the corporate bottom line, not about responding to increased costs, petroleum industry profits have risen to record highs over the period.
“Based on results from the first quarter of this year, domestic petroleum industry profits are headed for another record with refining and marketing profits up about 50 percent compared to the first quarter of 2003, Cooper added.”

MagicMtnDan
08-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Cuz my pay check has only slightly adjusted and is still below the cost of living and my wallet has adjusted to EMPTY...
I don't think you'll get much sympathy around here from those who know the list of killer toys :D you have. Better save it for those who don't know you have a DCB (or know what they cost)... :wink:

Not So Fast
08-14-2005, 02:32 PM
But your wife is still HOT, take comfort in that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: NSF

SmokinLowriderSS
08-14-2005, 02:44 PM
High related to what?
Thanks
CA Stu
As much as it isn't much help, the (corrected for 30 years of inflation) price per barrell of oil was still higher in the mid-70's oil embargo days. The price then corrects today to $80 a barrell.
We all got used to $1 a gal (here in the heartland) from the mid 80's thru 5 years ago. Sure smarts now tho. Costs me about $50 to $80 a week to get to work & home.

TCHB
08-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess if I use inflation as the only driver a regular tube tv would cost $6,000.

Freak
08-14-2005, 03:42 PM
As much as it isn't much help, the (corrected for 30 years of inflation) price per barrell of oil was still higher in the mid-70's oil embargo days. The price then corrects today to $80 a barrell.
We all got used to $1 a gal (here in the heartland) from the mid 80's thru 5 years ago. Sure smarts now tho. Costs me about $50 to $80 a week to get to work & home.
I can't wait (well really I never want to see the day but) till oil is $80+
6months from now to hear what they will say then. I am sick of every news article throwing that tid bit of info in - for what? Am I supposed to feel better.
This is horror at the gas pump.
At least 36 people were reported killed and 500 injured in the riots which were accompanied by chaotic acts and violence on July 19-20 in the capital city of Sana’a and other provincial capitals including Aden, Hodeida, Ibb, Sa’ada, Dhamar, Amran, Dhale’ and Marib. The violent demonstrations pulled people together into the streets in protest against a government’s decision to lift fuel subsidies.
Fierce battles took place on Thursday afternoon between citizens and republican guard forces near the Arhab Faculty of Education, to the north of the capital.
Eyewitnesses told the Yemen Times that one military vehicle was seen on fire and another broken down near the Arhab Faculty of Education. Three citizens and a number of government troops were also reportedly killed in the battles.
Numerous citizens used arms in confronting the military troops, who were backed up by a helicopter that fired upon citizens from the air. The helicopter was however forced to land when citizens returned fire.
ALL OVER THE PRICE OF GAS! I saw brawls at the pump when the hurricane knocked out the power for a week last year. I remember them in the 70's too.

burtandnancy
08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Freak - you're freaking out...

DaveA
08-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Here's more:
"Yemen, situated at the southeastern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, has a population of 19.7 million, and GDP per capita does not exceed 800 dollars.
"The cabinet announced late Tuesday that it would put into effect new fuel prices, as it decided to lift its subsidies to fuel products.
Petrol prices in the impoverished republic nearly doubled from 35 riyals (32 cents) per litre to 65 riyals (60 cents). Diesel jumped from 17 riyals (16 cents) to 45 riyals (42 cents).
"The cabinet has reached a conclusion ...To continue subsidising fuel products consumed locally would lead eventually to an increse in budget deficit ... and put pressure on exchange rate and prices," a cabinet statement said."
Gas there looks to be about $1.28/gal before and $2.40+ after the subsidy removal. I'd be hot about it too.

rivergoer
08-14-2005, 07:11 PM
yeah these gas prices are starting to scare me :supp: i left to come to japan and they were at like 2.59 now they are over 3 bucks..shiat i will be broke after a week of driving to work :(

burtandnancy
08-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Dave A, how are Paul and Marsha doing? Haven't talked to them in quite a while. Say hello from us...

Forkin' Crazy
08-15-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't think you'll get much sympathy around here from those who know the list of killer toys :D you have. Better save it for those who don't know you have a DCB (or know what they cost)... :wink:
That pretty sums up my thoughts. :messedup:

Freak
08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Freak - you're freaking out...
Not really, I think we are going to level off at around $3 gal nationally (3.50 out west) for a time period. Then there are two many factors to guess the future.

Just Tool'n
08-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Getting ready to go fill up the boat & take the family to the lake, lets see
Prem gas 60 gallons=$173.40
Diesel for truck 8 Gallons =$25.60
Food & soda = $15.00
State entrance fee to lake = $15.00
Total for a few hours of fun =$229.00
But hey the kids love it, I love it , The Wife hates it!

2Driver
08-15-2005, 09:59 AM
I have been watching the boat trader and seeing a ton of stuff sitting unsold all summer - real nice stuff too.
USA Today reported that RV sales by major manufactures are off by 20-30%. That is a huge number and they are not expecting it to get any better.
I don't think there was much impact (except to emotions) when we saw gas fluctuations from $1.20-$1.50. But now at $3 and growing it seems that a certain percentage of the public will be rethinking habits, lifestyles and hobbies.
At the end of the day it's all relative to your income and priorities , as long as you don't forget you'll need at least several million dollars saved for retirement to keep up your current lifestyle and if you have preteens in the house another $150K-$200K for their college :jawdrop: then you are fine :D

unleashed
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Left to the Delta on Thurs to do the bigcatrun. My gas breakdown in cost this weekend.
Truck-350.00
boat-1400.00
That definitly puts a little dent in the old pocketbook but it seemed like there were plenty of dieselpushers, motorhomes, boats and what not on the hiways?? Im wondering when it will actually have an effect on peoples habits??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

phebus
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
My truck has a 24 gallon tank (Chevy D/A 2500HD), and I use approx. 20 gals. to go to the river. If fuel goes up 40 cents a gallon, that is only $8.00 more to get there. Won't effect me much.
As far as the boat goes, the price of beer per gallon, is more then gas, so I'd may as well go boating. :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Wait til you guys start paying more for food...it's coming.

unleashed
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I dont each much...when the prices of Alcohol start going up than were going to have a problem! :argue:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Forkin' Crazy
08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
I guess you maybe right. Cattle and grain prices aren't that much higher..... I guess the middle man (CBOT and others) will take up the slack. :hammerhea

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
The last wholesale price increase I saw was based on $40/barrel. Food needs to be transported, as well as steel, resin, and corrigated for the packaging.
I guess we just need to take the Deano approach- drink more, eat less.
:D