PDA

View Full Version : Death in the Channel

Kachina26
08-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Perhaps we need to monitor Carbon Monoxide more closely or close the Channel completely.....................
Grim end to Channel search
By Brian DiTullio
Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:18 PM MDT
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink Lake Havasu City firefighters, with snorkles and swim fins, begin looking for Michael Bull in south Bridgewater Channel shortly before 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, after witnesses saw the 41-year-old man go in the water, but never resurface.
Divers recovered the body of a man who apparently drowned in Bridgewater Channel Wednesday night.
Michael Reiff Bull, 41, reportedly went under the water around 7:20 p.m. and didn't resurface. A passing boater dialed 911.
Police and fire units responded to the scene in the south Channel area but were unable to locate Bull. The area was closed to further boating activity while emergency rescuer conducted their search.
The Police Department SCUBA Dive Team was activated and recovered Bull's body around 11:25 p.m. about 20 yards from the west bank of the Channel in about 16 feet of water.
Battalion Chief Dennis Mueller said the procedure for a drowning call is to send two engines and a battalion chief out. Each engine company contains snorkels and fins for each person on that engine.
"All of our engines are equipped with that to do a quick and effective rescue operation," said Mueller.
He also said weeds are a problem right now because they've grown up and cover anything that sinks to the bottom.
The police reported Wednesday night that murky conditions along the bottom hindered the search.
Bull was considered a transient and had no known family in the area, according to investigators. He reportedly had been drinking in the area with some friends and decided to go for a swim, according to reports.
An autopsy is being conducted by the Mohave County Medical Examiner, according to a press release.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.

uvindex
08-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Perhaps we need to monitor Carbon Monoxide more closely Sad story. What makes you think CO had anything to do with this? People were drowning in bodies of water long before the internal combustion engine was even invented.

mbrown2
08-13-2005, 06:23 PM
On a Wednesday at 7pm in the channel??? I don't think CO had anything to do with this unfortunate incident. :idea:

hot_diggity_dog
08-13-2005, 06:26 PM
On a Wednesday at 7pm in the channel??? I don't think CO had anything to do with this unfortunate incident. :idea:
I agree maybe he got cliped or sucked down by a passing boat, as it is illegal to swim in the channel!
Still sad
HDD

Kilrtoy
08-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Poor guy, hopefully he is somewhere better now....

ahhell
08-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Im thinking ETOH related not CO on a wednesday night...unless he was trying to suck start his boat...still a tragic loss of life, transient or not

JetBoatRich
08-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Confused to say the least :frown: CO was a factor :eek:
Bull was considered a transient and had no known family in the area, according to investigators. He reportedly had been drinking in the area with some friends and decided to go for a swim, according to reports.
He had friends, but not good ones :confused: they never saw him go under, the boat passing by did :hammerhea

Kachina26
08-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I was being sarcastic about the CO. I just remembered the death in which CO was a secondary cause of death and it brought about all the restrictions we are dealing with today. Sorry if I didn't make my sarcasm more clear. Truely a sad thing and I do feel bad for the boater that found him.

Redneck
08-13-2005, 07:51 PM
great now they have a reason to close the channel sad story on the man that died.

Throttle
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
yes indeed, this is sad news.
Wonder if it was a transient that I recall seeing almost every time that I was in the area of the dog park. He had his bike and all of his bags on a table in the park. I would see him often ealy in the morning when I would be riding my bike and several times in the water in the late afternoons hanging near any rowdy groups and get a cold one from them and move on.
he is in a better place for sure. Well maybe, cause Havi is pretty good, right?

Miss Perfect
08-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Sad.... the poor guy. Although you wonder if he's just in a better place now. :frown:

SummitKarl
08-13-2005, 09:18 PM
yes indeed, this is sad news.
Wonder if it was a transient that I recall seeing almost every time that I was in the area of the dog park. He had his bike and all of his bags on a table in the park. I would see him often ealy in the morning when I would be riding my bike and several times in the water in the late afternoons hanging near any rowdy groups and get a cold one from them and move on.
he is in a better place for sure. Well maybe, cause Havi is pretty good, right?
I was thinking the same thing/guy too...

KACHINA KEN
08-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Bummer.

Essex29
08-13-2005, 11:20 PM
that is very sad to hear