PDA

View Full Version : News on 20 story Havasu hotel???

bigkyle
08-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Reports are that Marriott is looking to locate a hotel/timeshare on the Island. Rumor also has it that management at the Beachcomber Resort is trying to convert the older mobile home section into a hotel/timeshare. Anybody know or heard anything??????????
Village, hotel project before board
By Brian DiTullio
Tuesday, August 2, 2005 10:50 PM MDT
The English Village owner and the Marriott Corporation both want a few changes to city zoning codes.
A development plan for the English Village and an unrelated proposed high-rise hotel at Pittsburg Point are scheduled to dominate today's meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission.
John Parrott and Tom Kack are listed as the applicants for two requested text amendments to zoning codes that would allow for unlimited stays and buildings up to 220 feet high in resort-related areas.
Parrott represents CHOP LLC, a Nevada Limited Liability Company.
In a letter to the city, they state their intention to build a 400-unit, 20-story high rise Marriott Timeshare Hotel with all amenities on 17 acres of land located at Pittsburg Point on the Island.
Today's News-Herald was unable to contact CHOP LLC on Tuesday for further comment.
Kack has been listed as a legal representative of Chris Reed, owner of the English Village.
Conceptual drawings unveiled last year by the former owners of the English Village showed multi-leveled condominiums being erected on the sight as well as a clock tower. This drawing sparked immediate negative reaction from council members and the public.
Reed said on Tuesday that there is a misunderstanding about the term "condominium."
"It's a method of ownership, we are planning a hotel," said Reed. "Our intent is not to do any kind of permanent residence."
In a letter to the city, Kack states he's interested in clarifying the definition of "condominium," and that Meritan, LLC, the company formed to develop the English Village "can not engage in residential use of its property and that others may not do the same on their property."
Kack goes on to say "The English Village needs longer stays and I expect the City would like to accommodate winter and other longer stay visitors to foster tourist income and longer stays for consultants etc. at hotels and motels to foster bed tax and sales tax dollars and the local economy."
Kack also gives some recommendations on how the city can "police" the zoning code and ensure there are no permanent residency structures built in the area.
Reed said he is hoping his request is not being confused with the Marriott request.
City staff took the applicant's requests under consideration and came up with some analysis.
"The current definition of 'hotel'is not well written and vague with regard to maximum length of stay," states the report. "Many hotel stays in Lake Havasu City exceed the traditional transient, daily, weekly stay, especially in the winter months."
City staff addresses the height exception request by noting that few properties in the city meet the 10-acre minimum required for such an exception.
Staff is recommending the Planning and Zoning Commission create a definition for a Resort-Hotel and add the new definition to the list of permitted uses. They also recommend allowing sites of only seven acres or more be eligible for the height exceptions.
The meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the Police Facility (2360 McCulloch Blvd.).
- You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com
© 2005 River City Newspapers, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Throttle
08-14-2005, 02:44 PM
I will add, that during a time share orientation at the first cabin club (nautical) about 3 weeks ago, it was stated that a plan was to make areas of the island full service resorts (do not quote the verbage) but you get the idea, I hope.

badbrad
08-14-2005, 03:32 PM
that would be great.................employee rates for me!!!

jbtrailerjim
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Rumor also has it that management at the Beachcomber Resort is trying to convert the older mobile home section into a hotel/timeshare. Anybody know or heard anything??????????
I sure hope this is only a rumor. My folks own a mobile home in the older section of the Beachcomber. That is where I stay also when I come to Havasu.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't think it will happen until the new bridge over to the island is complete.....
CJG

beach gomer
08-15-2005, 05:10 PM
When my wife and I came off the water on Saturday, we had a note on our truck written by a full time resident from the mobile home section at the Beachcomber Resort. The note stated that the owner of the Beachcomber, Jim Santiago, is trying to sell the mobile home section to the Marriott Hotel corp. In turn, he will be displacing 175 owners of these units, including my family. A meeting is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., September 7, with the planning and zoning commission. If you own a mobile home at the Beachcomber or know someone that does, please attend and spread the word. Large numbers speak louder. For those residents who own park models, they may also want to appear. I’m sure the many amenities that we all pay for will be affected.

2Driver
08-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Knowing LHC Zoning and planning it will go something like this.....
It will 25 stories not 20 and will open late due to construction quality issues
It will block all views of any existing resident’s home without a thought
The hotel theme will be the following mix of:
-London Bridge & Merry old London
-American Native Indian,
-South Pacific Tiki Hut
-Old Southern Dixie Bell
The outside will be painted Gumby Green and Titty Pink with checkered flags and Tribal flames.
It will have 450 rooms and 135 parking spaces.
:rollside: :rollside:

jbtrailerjim
08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
When my wife and I came off the water on Saturday, we had a note on our truck written by a full time resident from the mobile home section at the Beachcomber Resort. The note stated that the owner of the Beachcomber, Jim Santiago, is trying to sell the mobile home section to the Marriott Hotel corp. In turn, he will be displacing 175 owners of these units, including my family. A meeting is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., September 7, with the planning and zoning commission. If you own a mobile home at the Beachcomber or know someone that does, please attend and spread the word. Large numbers speak louder. For those residents who own park models, they may also want to appear. I’m sure the many amenities that we all pay for will be affected.
Well that just sucks! I'll be sure to pass this info to my parents. I'm sure they will not be to pleased to here about this. I will definitely encourage them to attend the meeting. They have owned a place there for over 12 years and our family spends a lot of time there in the summer.

SummitKarl
08-15-2005, 06:28 PM
the island is getting developed, it's in the City 5yr plan, as for what I have heard, we are looking a 150 homes and 2 resort hotels, (20 stories ain't happening) unless the code is changed, commercial zoned properties are now set at 35ft high max in LHC.

Dusty Times
08-15-2005, 07:09 PM
After the island is developed with high rise resort that rent nothing but PWCs and pontoons to people (hundreds or even thousands of guests) that have never been on water before will there be any room for Hot Boaters?

bigkyle
08-16-2005, 07:32 PM
I've been trying to access the agendas/minutes from the city's website all weekend and today for some solid information. Damn thing was down over the weekend but was up today. However, the section for agendas/minutes was not available. What gives?
If you own a trailer or park model, we all need to watch this closely and let our voices be heard. Selling the park out from underneath us, in which our original rental agreement stated would continue as a mobile home resort, makes our units worthless.
Marroitt is seeking to change the zoning to permit the 20 stories. They'll only come if the zoning is changed. Let's work to stop it. Dusty Times is also right - these big resort hotels will only put more rental watercraft on the lake. I would think that this affects all of us ***boaters!

Partycattin
08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
My buddy has a place at the beachcomber and was told that the park was sold to make room for condos. He just bought the place a couple of years ago and my family was looking to make a purchase there as well. This sucks.

Magic34
08-17-2005, 04:41 PM
the island is getting developed, it's in the City 5yr plan, as for what I have heard, we are looking a 150 homes and 2 resort hotels, (20 stories ain't happening) unless the code is changed, commercial zoned properties are now set at 35ft high max in LHC.
20 stories is 99.8% impossible. They might be able to do it away from the lake, but nowhere near it. I wanted to build 2-3 towers there and have a marina in between them with slips, etc. catering to people like us, but after about a day of researching, too much of a pain in the a$$. 7 stories is max in Havasu.
From what I understand, those new condos in the channel on the mainland side, was nearly a 13 year project with all the red tape.

Magic34
08-17-2005, 04:43 PM
It's all leased land, how are they going to change that, or are they going to build homes on leased land? There is no way they could make this happen in my opinion.

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 04:45 PM
theres gonna be a area like the keys?!...with private marina/docks on the properties

bigkyle
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
It's all leased land, how are they going to change that, or are they going to build homes on leased land? There is no way they could make this happen in my opinion.
The mobile home section at the Beachcomber is owned in fee by Jim Santiago (owner of the resort). This makes it possible to build some permanent structures. This portion of the property does not reach the water though. No doubt it will take years to make something happen. The other areas of the park (Park model/RV section) are leased BLM land, which typically will not allow permanent structures to be built. I believe the current 25 year lease runs through 2014 and there is an additional 25 year option.
Details are still sketchy and we're all looking for information.

woody56
08-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey, I live here. I would like too see something happen out on the island, but nothing like that. You would think the weekends are busy now, wait until the hotel is done.

Magic34
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
theres gonna be a area like the keys?!...with private marina/docks on the properties
Any development below 450' elevation is a major pain in the a$$, tons of red tape. The lake at the fullest point is 449.5'. Whatever has been heard may be a dream with a very hard reality if they expect to do it.

Magic34
08-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey, I live here. I would like too see something happen out on the island, but nothing like that. You would think the weekends are busy now, wait until the hotel is done.
This is another factor. The city has to front the cost for another bridge. There must be another bridge before a large project could start. No more used bridges on the market anymore to ship over.

beach gomer
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have any news on this subject?

Filmwritin
08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
A good friend who just bought there 2 years ago is now trying to get out, listed below his purchase price. There's a number up for sale and the list is growing - all on this speculation that the park is on borrowed time. And its beginning to sound like the speculation is more of a fact.
This is happening all over. Branson's on the strip almost sold recently, but the owner held out. The perspective buyer was a developer who wants to level the place and build homes/condos - at the expense of dozens of mobile home owners who paid inflated prices for worthless mobiles and who sit on rented turf. Another buddy just bought there last year at over $100k and he was Sh%$#ing bricks over the idea of losing it all. It still will happen - eventually.
If it's a mobile on deeded land and near the water, it's days are likely numbered. The real estate is simply too valuable. Just look what's happened up and down Parker Strip in the last couple of years alone. Sundance - history, soon to be developed. I hear the Roadrunner property is being pursued. Sports Valley - condos. Whoever thought 1,700 square foot homes in the keys surrounded by noisy, shallow, green, duck-poop saturated canals would fetch over a million bucks!
They say it's called progress, I guess.

Newcastle
08-25-2005, 11:59 PM
So since we're talking about Parker now and I want to eventually get a place down there, when's the best time to buy? I'd prefer a house or condo (so long as there's indoor boat parking) but I'd settle for a mobile. I heard they're expecting Parker RE to drop over the next 2 years so it's best to hold off. Predictions?

2Driver
08-26-2005, 06:53 AM
:( I heard that the new name for the island will be called "Isle of L.A." and the lake will be renamed "Lake Califorina" :( Give havasu a few more years and it'll be just like l.a., it's on it's way already, it's not called progress, it's called"developer greed" !!!!!!
FKn exactly, but it's not a cali issue it's just getting to be a fd up mess. Lived there for 5 years, 85-90, and there are a lot of issues that created it's down slide. It's certaily not hell but it isn't going in the right direction either is it?

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 06:57 AM
:( I heard that the new name for the island will be called "Isle of L.A." and the lake will be renamed "Lake Califorina" :( Give havasu a few more years and it'll be just like l.a., it's on it's way already, it's not called progress, it's called"developer greed" !!!!!!
EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!! for making a FRICKIN LIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beach gomer
08-26-2005, 07:14 AM
The lake will be a joke to even go out on with jet skies all over the place no room to move.No new launch ramps to launch from all the parking is full friday saturday and sunday.Seems to me to just sell and get out.Maybe California should just buy this part of Arizona.I like that name Lake California.If california takes a shit in housing lake Havasu is going to fall hard.

andy01
08-26-2005, 07:17 AM
What's the deal on the new bridge? Where is it going to be place?

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:12 AM
The lake will be a joke to even go out on with jet skies all over the place no room to move.No new launch ramps to launch from all the parking is full friday saturday and sunday.Seems to me to just sell and get out.Maybe California should just buy this part of Arizona.I like that name Lake California.If california takes a shit in housing lake Havasu is going to fall hard.
NOW THATS A GOOD JOKE!!!!!!!!
NOT EVEN!!!!!!!!! cracks me up on this board how so many of you think your the ones that made LHC, YUP we just sit here and cry all winter for all the Taxifornians to come back in the summer----NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snowbirds out spend you guys 3-1, and leave LHC cleaner than they found it.
LHC is entirely diffrent economy, more like Palm Springs economy, Taxifornia could fall off the map and it will only get better here, you all seem to forget Snowbirds come from all over the U.S. and Canada, which BTW Kanooks are a very large part of LHC's economy. sorry to pull that high horse out from under you but, I am just sick of hearing what I KNOW!!!!!!!!! is B.S.

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:15 AM
What's the deal on the new bridge? Where is it going to be place?
it's proposed for the corner of LBR and mesquette (by the In-n-Out burger)

Magic34
08-26-2005, 08:15 AM
NOW THATS A GOOD JOKE!!!!!!!!
NOT EVEN!!!!!!!!! cracks me up on this board how so many of you think your the ones that made LHC, YUP we just sit here and cry all winter for all the Taxifornians to come back in the summer----NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snowbirds out spend you guys 3-1, and leave LHC cleaner than they found it.
LHC is entirely diffrent economy, more like Palm Springs economy, Taxifornia could fall off the map and it will only get better here, you all seem to forget Snowbirds come from all over the U.S. and Canada, which BTW Kanooks are a very large part of LHC's economy. sorry to pull that high horse out from under you but, I am just sick of hearing what I KNOW!!!!!!!!! is B.S.
Karl,
I'd like to build towers there, but the city makes it so much more than a pain in the a$$.

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Karl,
I'd like to build towers there, but the city makes it so much more than a pain in the a$$.
thats depends on WHO is doing the Design, and WHO!!!! is LHC's building dept. favorite Architect, :smile: that can get things done no one else can :wink:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-26-2005, 08:32 AM
it's proposed for the corner of LBR and mesquette (by the In-n-Out burger)
That's what I had heard, but won't they need to go through the Isles then to make that happen?

Magic34
08-26-2005, 08:36 AM
thats depends on WHO is doing the Design, and WHO!!!! is LHC's building dept. favorite Architect, :smile: that can get things done no one else can :wink:
If you can get me on the water..... design away...... and there would even be a bonus. :D

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:50 AM
If you can get me on the water..... design away...... and there would even be a bonus. :D
oh sure ask me for the impossiable :hammer2:
I do have a nice commercial lot on the corner of LBR and S.Palo Verde for sale
thats as close as I can get you to the water :D

Magic34
08-26-2005, 08:52 AM
oh sure ask me for the impossiable :hammer2:
I do have a nice commercial lot on the corner of LBR and S.Palo Verde for sale
thats as close as I can get you to the water :D
Can we dig to the water from there? Did I mention a big bonus?

riverracerx
08-26-2005, 08:52 AM
I built a really nice castle right on the water in the channel.....
...but the waves washed it away. :frown:

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
That's what I had heard, but won't they need to go through the Isles then to make that happen?
just 10' west of the ISLES and it would meet up with LBR next to the new Chabones and MAJOR JOKE new condos

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Can we dig to the water from there? Did I mention a big bonus? doohooo money does talk, where would you like to be :wink:

Magic34
08-26-2005, 08:59 AM
just 10' west of the ISLES and it would meet up with LBR next to the new Chabones and MAJOR JOKE new condos
I'll take that land, it may be close enough to the water. Screw the bridge.

Magic34
08-26-2005, 09:00 AM
doohooo money does talk, where would you like to be :wink:
The idea calls for water, marina, and towers. Ocean style.

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 09:07 AM
The idea calls for water, marina, and towers. Ocean style.
buy the Nautical and PLOW it under, start fresh :D that sure would fix alot of problems :eek:
hang on the Island should be sub-devided shortly

Magic34
08-26-2005, 09:09 AM
buy the Nautical and PLOW it under, start fresh :D that sure would fix alot of problems :eek:
Is the Nautical leased land, assuming yes? I know the course next to it is.

Magic34
08-26-2005, 09:10 AM
We need to talk sometime this week.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-26-2005, 09:22 AM
So, you like the new condos? :notam:

BoatPI
08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
So I understand that they are considering a tunnel rather than a bridge? :jawdrop:

beach gomer
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Summitkarl
You don't think Havasu would have problems if the housing market in cali went to shit?Take a look at who is buying the houses out there.It's the people from Cali not the snowbirds.And if things keep going up in Havasu price wise you won't see anymore snowbirds because they can't afford to come out.

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
So, you like the new condos? :notam:
personal opinion is no, asking price is perty steep and they don't really seem to blend in, But I feel the same way about the AGAVE, the shops are nice down below, but the building looks ugly and out of place in my eyes,
my fear is the people that buy the condos will be like people that buy a home by a airport then complain about the noise (not all but I am sure someone will)
just my .02

Magic34
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
So I understand that they are considering a tunnel rather than a bridge? :jawdrop:
Talk about pain in the a$$. Why the hell do they do all this Europe stuff?

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Summitkarl
You don't think Havasu would have problems if the housing market in cali went to shit?Take a look at who is buying the houses out there.It's the people from Cali not the snowbirds.And if things keep going up in Havasu price wise you won't see anymore snowbirds because they can't afford to come out.
did you read my responce??????????????
I am the one designing the homes here and I am the one with the work on my desk, and I am the one that SEES WITH MY OWN EYES each and everyday what the market is doing, if your that afraid of it don't buy here or sell what you have, I will be glad to make some money off you... the plan and simple fact IS this is a retirement community funded primarly by those THAT RETIRE HERE!!!!!!!! yes the boating world plays a big part of the economy, if it didn't I surely would waste my valuable lake time on Hot Boat. but it's far from the primary source of LHC's income.
I guess when I lived in San Diego for 40 yrs and there wasn't a thing within 20 miles of North County, that it's growth was soley dependant on people moving in from L.A. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! ask yourself this one "who built california" answer,, the entire world.
of course all the scare tatics of the market crashing should only worrie those that leveraged their equity to purchase a second home, rather than paying off their primary first!!!! :jawdrop:

beach gomer
08-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Havasu is not even close to the same as palm springs or for that fact palm desert.Most of the snow birds that go to palm springs are multi millionaires
and also own there own homes that are well over the 1 million doller mark.You can't compair.

Magic34
08-26-2005, 03:51 PM
They need more nice hotels to bring more competition to the Nautical and LBR. The rates are stupid high for what you get. Take away the water and the Best Western (not the one in Havasu) is better.

HighRoller
08-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm not against anyone making a living, but destroying historical landmarks and putting in high rise buildings on a small island isn't the way to do it. Can you say "eyesore"? That thing would be visible for 20 miles in any direction. After that you might as well start building skyscrapers up the street and tear down the English Village so you can put department stores and a Starbuck's in there. It's really sad when you think of the uniqueness that WAS Havasu many years ago. Now that they've traded that for the same crap you can get on every street corner in California the place has lost it's appeal to me. I'm sure to developers eventually will get the London Bridge torn down, saying it's "too old looking" and doesn't match the surrounding buildings.

Magic34
08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm not against anyone making a living, but destroying historical landmarks and putting in high rise buildings on a small island isn't the way to do it. Can you say "eyesore"? That thing would be visible for 20 miles in any direction. After that you might as well start building skyscrapers up the street and tear down the English Village so you can put department stores and a Starbuck's in there. It's really sad when you think of the uniqueness that WAS Havasu many years ago. Now that they've traded that for the same crap you can get on every street corner in California the place has lost it's appeal to me. I'm sure to developers eventually will get the London Bridge torn down, saying it's "too old looking" and doesn't match the surrounding buildings.
I agree with part of your post and understand, but every city was at a point where Havasu is and if there is a desire for people to be there it will grow and change. If someone tries to stop it, they will get whoever needs to be elected in office to make it work. Drop Janet a big $$ for her next campaign and something happens. Stupid how it works, but thats the way it works today.
In my mind, it's better to have an active role in the new development, then trying to stop it.

SummitKarl
08-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Havasu is not even close to the same as palm springs or for that fact palm desert.Most of the snow birds that go to palm springs are multi millionaires
and also own there own homes that are well over the 1 million doller mark.You can't compair.
would you like to buy a multi-million dollar home in Havasu?
I have several close friends her with homes here that will list anywhere from 1-4million. and funny you should respond just as I got my National Association of Realtors report (NAR)
Headline is
Existing home sales show no sign of weakness
adjusted to annual rate of 7.13m from a record of (7.18m previous qtr) and up 3.5% above the 6.89m rat of the previous year period.
it gose on to mention that according to Freddie Mac, 30yr conventional loans are at 5.72% down from 6.27% from one year ago and the national median avg for all housing types was up 12.5% from last year.
so ther you have it straight from the NAR and the Freddie Mac Foundation.
no bust in housing going on anytime soon.
and why do I now feel like Jordy?

***boateditor
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
I don't think it will happen until the new bridge over to the island is complete.....
We can only hope that the Havasu City Council is looking for existing bridges in France, Spain, Germany or the Netherlands to import over....

Scape Goat
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
If they build that Hotel I will be working there on the mgmt staff :D

2Driver
08-27-2005, 08:24 AM
MY feelings exactly...Bubble gum, F_ck mess

voodoomedman
08-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Rumor has it that the English Village is going to be torn down. Something about the land sinking and they are going to redo it all and put another resort.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Rumor has it that the English Village is going to be torn down. Something about the land sinking and they are going to redo it all and put another resort.
First I've heard of this.

voodoomedman
08-27-2005, 08:47 AM
First I've heard of this.
Like I said--Rumor--. I'm not going to state that I know for a fact. But here it goes. Our Havasu neighbor's son's girlfriends mom works at that shop on the lower level with all the clothes and stuff and this is where the info came from. You can see that down the way the shops are abandoned and closed off and stuff already.

uncle larry
08-27-2005, 09:28 AM
one of the funniest things i have every read is this thread --- with the an input about the english village changing cause.......and i quote,
"Our Havasu neighbor's son's girlfriends mom" said something. Yes i am going to make million dollar decisions on that information.
Lake Havasu is growing - its growing because of California people. So california people can either enjoy it or complain but its growing because of YOU and YOUR neighbors..
Thats not a bad thing - its called life!

voodoomedman
08-27-2005, 09:34 AM
one of the funniest things i have every read is this thread --- with the an input about the english village changing cause.......and i quote,
"Our Havasu neighbor's son's girlfriends mom" said something. Yes i am going to make million dollar decisions on that information.
Lake Havasu is growing - its growing because of California people. So california people can either enjoy it or complain but its growing because of YOU and YOUR neighbors..
I pointed out that it was a Rumor. I have talked directly to this lady that works at the shop but I myself will believe it when I see it. The reason I brought it up is because sometimes somebody in here will shed some light as to it being fact or fiction and may actually have proof.
And I'm not complaining about the growth. I bought a house there and love it. If it get's too crazy there I will sell and buy near another lake.

LAVEYSABRE575
08-27-2005, 09:57 AM
I talked to steve at steveos and he did inform me that they are tearing down the english village and rebuilding it, he said they should be closed for about 1 1/2 yrs. construction should starty within a year. I am not stating facts just what steve told me.........derek

voodoomedman
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I talked to steve at steveos and he did inform me that they are tearing down the english village and rebuilding it, he said they should be closed for about 1 1/2 yrs. construction should starty within a year. I am not stating facts just what steve told me.........derek
That's it Steveo's. So it seems it is being torn down but rebuilt I guess. See I was wrong about a resort replacing. That's why I prefaced with it's just a rumor.

2Driver
08-27-2005, 11:30 AM
That's it Steveo's. So it seems it is being torn down but rebuilt I guess. See I was wrong about a resort replacing. That's why I prefaced with it's just a rumor.
Yep the English Village is being rebuilt, here is what I know so far...
It will have Polynesian Tiki huts out front with a Miami Fl (pink and green) themed Bar & Grill to one side. The other side will have an old English style/American Indian/ Southern Dixie Bell featured restaurant.... and of course the outside will be custom painted with Tribal Flames.
:D :D :D

SummitKarl
08-27-2005, 12:59 PM
you might want to make that decision, THIS IS HOW HAVASU WORKS!!!
except it's usally "my step childs, boyfriends, sister" NOT KIDDING :D
I know The EV changed hands (sold) about 8 months ago :idea:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I think everyone can agree that something needs to be done with the English Village. It's just really sad what it is now compared to what it once was.

SummitKarl
08-27-2005, 01:04 PM
I think everyone can agree that something needs to be done with the English Village. It's just really sad what it is now compared to what it once was.
still looks cool at night during the X-mas holidays :D

Havasu_Dreamin
08-27-2005, 01:06 PM
still looks cool at night during the X-mas holidays :D
True, all the lights really do hide the dillapidated look seen in daylight.

bigkyle
08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, I just got back from Havasu and spent some time at city hall on Friday to find out more information about developmnet rumors around the island. Spoke to a staff person that is processing applications from the owners of the Beachcomber Resort and the English Village. Here's what I learned -- First of all, the applications are for amendments to the city's development code relative to height, definition of a hotel, and planned development. Current code permits a maximum height in Hotel zones of 70 feet, the applicants want 220'; city staff is recommending 120' to the city's planning commission at their meeting on September 7. They are also seeking to amend the definition of a hotel to allow for timeshares. Lastly, they are asking that planned developments be permitted on properties of less than the current 10 acres (a planned development project of 10 acres or more can apparently exceed several development codes). These are all generic codfe changes that would apply throughout the city.
Second, Marriott has no real interest in any of the applications. The realty agent for Jim Santiago, owner of the Beachcomber, only contacted Marriott to determine requirements for timeshares, thus the requested change to the definition of a hotel. Santigo is considering the development of a timeshare on the older mobile home section of the Beachcomber Resort.
Finally, should the applicants receive favorable decisions by the planning commission and then the city council, Santiago would still have to seek a zone change to permit the development of a timeshare at the Beachcomber. He would also have to deal with the issues such as access (bridge) and utilities. It was also my understanding that the concerns over the English Village only applied to the area north of the bridge. They may be seeking hotel or timeshare development as well.

Supultlbich
08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
That would seem to say that there is a small city of red tape to swim through and that any resort on the island is a long way off........

beach gomer
08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
If he wants to build a timeshare, why does he have a real-estate agent and why are we hearing that it's up for sale?

SummitKarl
08-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Well, I just got back from Havasu and spent some time at city hall on Friday to find out more information about developmnet rumors around the island. Spoke to a staff person that is processing applications from the owners of the Beachcomber Resort and the English Village. Here's what I learned -- First of all, the applications are for amendments to the city's development code relative to height, definition of a hotel, and planned development. Current code permits a maximum height in Hotel zones of 70 feet, the applicants want 220'; city staff is recommending 120' to the city's planning commission at their meeting on September 7. They are also seeking to amend the definition of a hotel to allow for timeshares. Lastly, they are asking that planned developments be permitted on properties of less than the current 10 acres (a planned development project of 10 acres or more can apparently exceed several development codes). These are all generic codfe changes that would apply throughout the city.
Second, Marriott has no real interest in any of the applications. The realty agent for Jim Santiago, owner of the Beachcomber, only contacted Marriott to determine requirements for timeshares, thus the requested change to the definition of a hotel. Santigo is considering the development of a timeshare on the older mobile home section of the Beachcomber Resort.
Finally, should the applicants receive favorable decisions by the planning commission and then the city council, Santiago would still have to seek a zone change to permit the development of a timeshare at the Beachcomber. He would also have to deal with the issues such as access (bridge) and utilities. It was also my understanding that the concerns over the English Village only applied to the area north of the bridge. They may be seeking hotel or timeshare development as well.
as I said in the beginning of this thread "It ain't going to happen" because of the current code. and this needs to go to vote to raise the bldg. ht. the last time we tried this here... it got hammered down hard!!!!!!!!!!! and it will get hammered down again.....all of us that live understand why we have hight restrictions
so bigkyle you were at the planning window talking with "Larry D" I assume, this sounds like his standard answer on the subject. :)

bigkyle
08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
as I said in the beginning of this thread "It ain't going to happen" because of the current code. and this needs to go to vote to raise the bldg. ht. the last time we tried this here... it got hammered down hard!!!!!!!!!!! and it will get hammered down again.....all of us that live understand why we have hight restrictions
so bigkyle you were at the planning window talking with "Larry D" I assume, this sounds like his standard answer on the subject. :)
I spoke with the planner handling the applications, Stuart Schmeling. It's my understanding that the change to the development code for height restrictions only requires review and recommendation from the planning commission to the city council, who has the final say.
As for Beach Gomer's question, I think the realtor, which is John Parrott from Coldwell Banker Commercial, maybe working with Santiago to broker a deal to do a timeshare. That is only my speculation though.